Chemistry Placement Annoyance

I finally decided to register at the local community college. For better or worse, it is 1/4 the cost of the local 4-year state school and remaining debt free is important to me since there is no guarantee of anything yet.

Unfortunately, I’ve run into a road block. I have to take Chemistry and Math placement exams in order to take the first general chemistry class. I was able to get the Math waived due to my undergrad math series, but no luck on the Chem since I’ve never taken it in college. Does anyone have any good resources to prepare? I’d like to pass and avoid an extra semester plus the expense. It’s kind of irritating as the 4 year schools around here don’t require previous chem experience for general chem.

ABSOLUTELY… just go to www.khanacademy.org and watch the general chemistry videos.

You’ll be fine…

This site has helped MANY an OPMer prep for classes…it’s a thorough, quick review and sounds like just what you need. Set aside some time this weekend and knock it out.

Congrats on taking the plunge! Best of luck as you start this incredible journey…

**In case anyone is wondering, I am not secretly employed by the Pixie Sanders “Khan Academy Guy for President” campaign. I have not been paid for this endorsement in any way. Honest.

heheheh

Thank you for the advice and encouragement!

This is a great board. The administrative minutia can really be discouraging sometimes, and it’s nice to find others with a positive solution to the problems.

• carrieliz Said:

**In case anyone is wondering, I am not secretly employed by the Pixie Sanders "Khan Academy Guy for President" campaign. I have not been paid for this endorsement in any way. Honest.

I'm Pixie Sanders, and I support this message.

PS: Good luck on your studying Andy. You'll find Khan to be a great resource for many classes/concepts you'll run into as you move through pre-reqs.
  • PixieSanders Said:
  • carrieliz Said:

**In case anyone is wondering, I am not secretly employed by the Pixie Sanders "Khan Academy Guy for President" campaign. I have not been paid for this endorsement in any way. Honest.

I'm Pixie Sanders, and I support this message.

This ad is paid for by the Pixie Sanders "Khan Academy helped me get my acceptance to medical school and I am still floating on air" committee

• AndyCFI Said:
Does anyone have any good resources to prepare? I'd like to pass and avoid an extra semester plus the expense. It's kind of irritating as the 4 year schools around here don't require previous chem experience for general chem.

I disagree aboout skipping ANY chemistry course especially since you've never taken it. It's critical IMHO to doing well on the PS section on the MCAT.

You lie, Carrie - you’ve been paid in awesome preparation!

“Introduction to Chemistry” was the best thing I ever did (I got A’s in the whole chem sequence after). I never had college Chem and was 5 years removed from high school chemistry (which I had during lunch period so I just went to all three lunches instead). Some schools will also split chem 1 into Chem 1A and Chem 1B. There are some pro’s to either of the above options:

You can definitely manage another science with them if you are new to the school thing because they aren’t as rigorous as Gen chem 1.

You will end up with an A in chem 1 if you can get an A in Intro.

In chem2, you will have a solid math foundation, solid knowledge of stoichiometry, solid foundation of elements and simple reactions. A lot of kids struggled in Chem2 because they got an A in chem1 without really “getting” it. You would likely only have to focus on the NEW concepts in Chem2 if you did the intro course.

If the traditional Chem 1 is going to be your only REAL class, than it’s probably doable. And as for the whole extra semester thing: What is the difference between a doctor who is 41 and a doctor who is 42 in the grand scheme of things (or whatever age you are +/- 1)?

• pathdr2b Said:
I disagree aboout skipping ANY chemistry course especially since you've never taken it. It's critical IMHO to doing well on the PS section on the MCAT.

Ehhh, it depends on who teaches it. Considering what I learned in my first semester of gen chem (cue voice of angry slavic man yelling "use your common sense" in response to literally *any* question) I would have learned significantly more via Khan.

In related news, I'm not floating on air. I've become convinced I can fly. SuperPixie goes vrooom.

• PixieSanders Said:
In related news, I'm not floating on air. I've become convinced I can fly. SuperPixie goes vrooom.

Look, up in the sky, its a bird, its a plane, its Pixie Sanders, cape and all.

Fighting for truth, justice, and the khan academy way
  • PixieSanders Said:
Ehhh, it depends on who teaches it. Considering what I learned in my first semester of gen chem (cue voice of angry slavic man yelling "use your common sense" in response to literally *any* question) I would have learned significantly more via Khan.

I'm not disagreeing with using Khan Academy. As a parent and tutor, I recommend it too.

What I'm saying is that the more practice/experience you have with Chemistry, the better your chances of doing well on that section of the MCAT.

As for profs, it's "par for the course" that the better the teacher the better one can learn, though for med school admissions, the excuse that "my chemistry teacher sucked so I didn't do well" won't cut.

I think seeing how you do on the chem placement test is a good way to see if you’re ready for Gen Chem 1. Also make sure your algebra is as sharp as you think it is, because Gen Chem is as much a math class as it is anything else.

• samenewme Said:
I think seeing how you do on the chem placement test is a good way to see if you're ready for Gen Chem 1. Also make sure your algebra is as sharp as you think it is, because Gen Chem is as much a math class as it is anything else.

That sound like solid logic. Algebra isn't so much of a concern as it is a big part of my work, but chem is something I've had little exposure to since high school. The test should be a good indicator. I'll study up, see how much I remember, and see if I can pass. Thanks everyone!

I tutor honors high school chemistry, and I find myself quoting my gen chem prof all the time-- “Just remember that in general chemistry, every problem is really only asking you to find one thing. So the problem (along with the periodic table) will either directly or indirectly give you all the other variables you need to get the solution. So read the problem, identify what you’re given, take a breath, and dive in.”

Yes, gen chem has math in it–but it’s no harder than anything you’d see in Algebra I. I was doing stoichiometry with my sophomores last weekend, and one problem took up the whole board. (And I could tell they were panicking).

But when we stepped back and looked at each individual step? No one math problem was harder than 8th grade math. Once I proved that to them, they were able to see that it’s not so overwhelming if you take it one step at a time. They got over their nerves and learned it beautifully.

The key to being successful in general chemistry is practice. So just take the placement, see how you do, and you’ll know where you need to start!

Good luck!!

I had the same problem as you - except Bio, all the other pre-reqs I needed had pre-reqs of their own. English 120 needed Eng 110, Chem 140 needed Chem 120 and Physics 130 needs Math 180 and so on. I was not prepared to spend 4 semesters clearing out these pre-pre-reqs, so I spoke with a counselor and got some of those bypassed. On others, such as English, I had no choice but to take the placement test. It was painful to take 1/2 a day off work just to take an English test a 5th grader would have passed with ease. I suggest you take a look at all the courses you think you need and make sure you get all your clearances lined up. If not, it’s going to come back and bite you during enrollment weeks in the semesters ahead.

Oooh, that’s a good point. I made some assumptions that because I already had a bachelor’s degree and had taken general chemistry already (with my original degree 12 years ago), I would automatically be able to register for Gen Chem I again.

BUT…the new school I enrolled in hadn’t gotten my transcript entered in when it came time to register. So I was locked out because I didn’t have a math pre-requisite. I had to go over to the registrar, sit down and review my transcript with someone, and get a manual clearance. BARELY got into the section I needed! (I was the 2nd to last seat)…

Look ahead, and don’t assume! Once you get past your first semester, registration gets easier–but that first one can jump up and bite you in the rear if you aren’t careful.

• Dullhead Said:
On others, such as English, I had no choice but to take the placement test. It was painful to take 1/2 a day off work just to take an English test a 5th grader would have passed with ease.

Does this mean you're smarter than a 5th grader? (sorry I couldn't resist)

I’d like to think so, but I don’t think it has been conclusively proven.

Forgot to mention general chem reference textbooks, I used Petrucci as an undergrad chem major, and Atkins/Jones to prep for “cumes” in grad school. Atkins/Jones also comes with a VERY detailed study guide/solutions manual.

Hi Andy,

I was just recently in the same position.

Zero chemistry in college, barely any in high school – more than a decade ago.

I’m just now finishing up my first gen chem semester, and I can swear by the book “Homework Helpers” for Chemistry, supplemented with the two Chemistry DVDs from Mathtutor – all of which is available from Amazon – for preparation, and testing purposes.

It took me a few weeks to work through both, but the book especially put me light-years ahead of where I was prior. And, IMO, it’s set up in a great, easily digestible, easy to work through format. And the Mathtutor DVDs hammer home a system for conversions, which is really a big part of the calculations you’ll do.

I’ve found that the book and DVDs essentially covered the same material we’ve gone over this semester in Gen Chem 1. It’s actually made this semester pretty easy – and that’s coming from a guy who had no math or science before now.

I can’t speak highly enough about it, or the dividends it paid off to work through it.

Good luck!