Class load question

I am hoping there are other students who can relate to this…

And please tell me if I am in the wrong place with this question.

This year I will take physics 1 and 2 and organic chemistry 1 and 2. I will also try to fit in genetics and maybe biochem since I am a post-bacc student and it is expected to take more than the general prereqs (I finished cellbio, physiology and anatomy). I am planning on taking the MCAT’s next Spring and applying to schools in the 2014 cycle. Or sooner, maybe, but at age 41 I think I’ve officially declared that I am not in a rush.

my question:

Is orgo, physics and genetics a common class load for one semester? ie: Is it too heavy and therefore too risky? Or worth the risk to prove I can handle it? I’m a strong student but I’ve never had 3 hard 200 level science classes together. (btw I may put orgo lab in the summer). One thought is if I did just take physics and orgo it would give me a chance to volunteer or work in a lab.

Thanks for any insight.

I think it’s doable–will you also be working or involved in anything else that takes your time? I did Orgo I/II and Physics I/II together (with both labs) across two semesters, and I took the MCAT at the end of the 2nd semester. But I also had a full time job and a family…so the bad news is that I didn’t leave myself as much time to do MCAT prep as I should have.

If you aren’t working or doing anything else, and you are confident in your abilities, it’s manageable. It’s definitely been done by others. I’m not saying you’ll be whistling a happy tune every day, though! Get ready for the challenge! Just really sit back and evaluate your schedule and your study/discipline habits. Don’t underestimate the MCAT…it will sneak up on you!

Good luck!

Any bio class that’s not directly a pre-req will still help you on MCATs, if nothing else because you can get a lot of off-the-wall discretes.

I also did orgo and physics at the same time, plus calculus one semester and statistics the next one.

I would take biochem, but not at the same time as orgo. They don’t cross over as much as you think, but I wouldn’t take biochem without both halves of orgo under my belt.

ETA: Although I was a full-time student without a job or family.

• carrieliz Said:

If you aren't working or doing anything else, and you are confident in your abilities, it's manageable. Don't underestimate the MCAT...it will sneak up on you!

Good luck!

Thank you Carrieliz,

I have nothing else scheduled, yet. If I take all 3 then I would keep it that way.

When you say manageable, you are referring to getting all A's right?

As for the MCAT I will probably do a Kaplan course in January, 2014 and have ample time to prepare.
  • starri Said:
Any bio class that's not directly a pre-req will still help you on MCATs, if nothing else because you can get a lot of off-the-wall discretes.

I also did orgo and physics at the same time, plus calculus one semester and statistics the next one.

I would take biochem, but not at the same time as orgo. They don't cross over as much as you think, but I wouldn't take biochem without both halves of orgo under my belt.

ETA: Although I was a full-time student without a job or family.

Hi Starri,

Thanks for the advice. What do you mean by an off the wall discrete? an unexpected isolated question? Based on your advice I would probably wait a year for biochem. What are your thoughts on genetics as a 3rd class with orgo and physic?

Thanks for all your help!

In the Bio Sciences section of the MCAT, even though the passages that are biology-based tend to mostly be based around molecular or human biology, the discrete questions, which don’t have a passage attached to them, can really be about any topic that you get in your average introductory biology class. I remember one that I had about Hardy-Weinberg equilibrium, which I wouldn’t have remembered without having been required to take Evolution as a degree requirement.

If Genetics for you isn’t a lab class, I don’t think it would be too much of a burden combined with the other. I’m not sure what Orgo lab is like for you at your school, but it was an absolute bear at mine.

I’d echo Starri - orgo lab is probably the most timeconsuming of all the labs, and second semester is worse than first.

Genetics would stand you in good stead in MCAT, 1st year med school, and even level 1 USMLE or COMLEX.

Kate

Hey Surferdance,

I just want to tell you that you are not alone if it can help. This semester I registered for Physics2+ lab, Org. Chem1+ lab, Genetics, and an english class. I work part time, I volunteer in a lab, I have a family. I don’t know how it’s going to end but I’ll try my best to manage.

Last semester I had an history class, an english class, and Physics1+lab. I was also working part time, and volunteering in a lab and a Blood Center. I end up with an A in physics and the english class, and a B+ in History (I could have got better but I was late for the midterm exam).

In addition, my husband was studying for the usmle and we have a baby and no other family member to help…but we are trying to help each other.

Everything is about management and discipline. It’s not always easy particularly with family but you can still do it as long as your family is very supportive, and you are determined.

I would say it’s partly how confident you are with your chemistry and physics abilities. These are all difficult courses. If you want to work in a lab or do significant volunteer work, as well as get As, just exercise caution.

As gonnif says, don’t bite off more than you can chew.

Academically speaking,a history class, an english class, and Physics1+lab doesn’t come close to being as academically intense as Physics2+ lab, Org. Chem1+ lab, Genetics, and an english class.

Keep in mind that many students who have schedules like the second one, have NOTHING else to do while taking on this kind of schedule.

I’m a strong believer in doing things VERY well rather than quickly.

• pathdr2b Said:
I'm a strong believer in doing things VERY well rather than quickly.

Yep!

I think things can be done VERY well either quickly or slowly. Every student is different. What works for one, doesn’t always work for others.

Classes like English and History (intensive reading and writing) are more challenging (for ME) than science classes. My first language is not English so I really have hard time with these classes…thanks God my hard work and dedication are paying off…I’ve had more science classes in the past and have done very well.

I think academically speaking it all depends on how confident you are (like someone has said) with the subjects.

Like I said before, Management and Discipline are keys, particularly when your family is very supportive.

Different people, different experiences. Learn from your own and others’ experiences. Even though your own view of yourself can be influenced by what you want, no one here knows you better than yourself. You are your best judge.

• pathdr2b Said:
Academically speaking,a history class, an english class, and Physics1+lab doesn't come close to being as academically intense as Physics2+ lab, Org. Chem1+ lab, Genetics, and an english class.

Keep in mind that many students who have schedules like the second one, have NOTHING else to do while taking on this kind of schedule.

I'm a strong believer in doing things VERY well rather than quickly.

What about some particular individual's post on a specific unnamed student pre-med physician site that boast something along the lines of:

"I took 24 credits last semester including four science classes with labs AND was able to work fulltime + volunteer on the sided and I managed to pull off all As and a B so its definitely doable if you're smart enough if not you shouldn't become a doctor because medical school is a whole lot harder than what I just described..."

(I know...I know...I was told to stay away from such a site...the FUD got ahold of me again)

Thank you to evreryone for your comments. I think the only thing that remains unclear is whether managing a heavy load (3-4 classes w/ work and volunteer hours) is worth risking lower grades. It is too individual to get a concensus. ss ww

• Brenda7 Said:
Classes like English and History (intensive reading and writing) are more challenging (for ME) than science classes.....Even though your own view of yourself can be influenced by what you want, no one here knows you better than yourself. You are your best judge.

I was a double major Science and Religion/Philosophy and I stand behind my original statement about Science coursework, especially premed courses. And I'm betting that the overwhelmingly majority of premed types did NOT work as hard in English or intensive writing classes as they did in their Science classes. Especially Orgo.

Of course you're right, in most cases no one knows a person better that they know themselves. But sometimes people have delusional views of themselves and what they're capable of achieving, a little gem I learned as a College Professor.

And that's the beauty of not biting off more than you can chew, if you take a small bite, you're far less likely to choke to death from it if it all goes wrong. As as a non trad with duties and responsibilities so different from most pre-meds, anything and everything can happen to disrupt even to best made plan.

IMHO, the difference between the nontrad that gets admitted to med school and the one that doesn't is a well made, well EXECUTED plan.

“People overestimate what they can do in a year, and underestimate what they can do in a decade.”

• surferdance Said:
Thank you to evreryone for your comments. I think the only thing that remains unclear is whether managing a heavy load (3-4 classes w/ work and volunteer hours) is worth risking lower grades. It is too individual to get a concensus. ss ww

Another "gem", this one I learned as a manager at Pizza Hut for a couple years, arguably the BEST job I've EVER had, LOL!!!

"Set yourself up for success" and for the nontrad premed, that usually means earning primarily "A's" with a few "B's" here and there.

• Julio Cesar Said:
"I took 24 credits last semester including four science classes with labs AND was able to work fulltime + volunteer on the sided and I managed to pull off all As and a B so its definitely doable if you're smart enough if not you shouldn't become a doctor because medical school is a whole lot harder than what I just described..."

(I know...I know...I was told to stay away from such a site...the FUD got ahold of me again)

The ONE thing I think that site is mainly good for is if you're at home during a bad snowstorm and you realize you've run out of toilet paper, just print a couple pages from that site (the premed forum works best) on the softest paper you have, and use that as a substitute.
  • pathdr2b Said:
Another "gem", this one I learned as a manager at Pizza Hut for a couple years, arguably the BEST job I've EVER had, LOL!!!

"Set yourself up for success" and for the nontrad premed, that usually means earning primarily "A's" with a few "B's" here and there.

Mmmmm... Pizza Hut.

(Sorry, random 35 weeks prego moment. LOL)

Nothing like a retail/restaurant management job to teach you about yourself, working with others, dealing with customers, etc. You learn VERY quickly how to set yourself up for success by realizing what works...and more importantly--what doesn't work! I've often thought that a service/retail job should be a requirement for college graduation.