Classifying courses for AACOMAS

I took a class that was listed as LIA, for liberal arts and sciences, and was basically a discussion session for tying in a medical anthropology, medically focused english course and intro biology class together. We spent time discussing traditional medicine, how different cultures respond to it and alternative medicine used by those cultures. It was definitely not an ethics course, but a lot of discussion and dialogue about what the system is like now.

Do I classify this as other science? Or other non-science?

• PixieSanders Said:
I took a class that was listed as LIA, for liberal arts and sciences, and was basically a discussion session for tying in a medical anthropology, medically focused english course and intro biology class together. We spent time discussing traditional medicine, how different cultures respond to it and alternative medicine used by those cultures. It was definitely *not* an ethics course, but a lot of discussion and dialogue about what the system is like now.

Do I classify this as other science? Or other non-science?

If it isn't hardcore traditional science, it in non-science

Shucks. And thanks!

Just entered my grades into AACOMAS. Cripes! 3.38 Science/Math and 3.08 Cum (totals, including post-bac).

Considering where I went to school in my previous life, not sure how I was such an academic slacker! Wish someone would’ve conducted an aggressive cup check combined with a “What the hay, LT? Get your ducks back in line!” Actually, now that I recall, dear dad talked to me more than once…dear son did not listen.

Anyway, I was wincing when entering the old grades. Oh, well, MCAT in August. This ship moves forward.

Ltap -

If there was an upward trend, and your MCAT is reasonable (29 to 32 or so), that should still give you a good shot at admission. It’s not enough for an automatic downcheck, and as long as you get to an interview, you have the opportunity to show them who you are. Many DO schools, my own among them, specifically strive to recruit non-traditional students into their student body.

Best of luck with MCAT’s in August!!

Kate

• Ltap93 Said:
Just entered my grades into AACOMAS. Cripes! 3.38 Science/Math and 3.08 Cum (totals, including post-bac).

Yeah, I hadn't looked at my community college grades in years and discovered I had Ws for classes I only vaguely recall, which was surprising. And I remember getting better grades than I actually did in several classes. So the AACOMAS GPA felt like a kick in the face.

Anyways, good luck on your MCAT!

Kate and Pixie,

Thanks for the encouragement and advice. See you in the DO world soon!