Community College prereqs?

I graduated from the University of Michigan '08 with a BA and a 3.1 GPA. I lived for four years in China afterward and learned Mandarin. The life I was thinking of leading has now changed to, obviously, a different one as a MD.

I wanted to know if I took all med school prereqs (I got a 5 in AP Bio in High School, does that help?) at a community college, like Nassau Community, and did well (like 3.5 GPA or better) if that would still enable me to go to a med school in the U.S.? Or would you recommend a post bacc premed like Columbia?

Any help would be MUCH appreciated!

Postbaccs would be ideal and if you have the money I would recommend that route.

The CC route is not ideal but the answer is yes, you will still be able to go the a US med school. You will be limited in the schools you can apply to because some don’t bother with CC credits but if you do well, get a decent MCAT, and interview well, you should be able to get a US seat. It is simple to get into med school but not easy.

Thanks for the info Croooz. Do you think the 3.1 GPA as an undergrad will be a problem to get into a postbacc program?

I’ve read a bit about this since I’m considering taking a few pre-reqs at a local CC. My understanding is that the reputation of the CC system varies a bit from state to state; it seems as though most medical schools I’ve checked do consider CC courses (“officially” at least). To me, it makes sense - particularly financial sense - to take a couple of CC courses and supplement them with some upper-level coursework at a four year university. This is my plan, at least.

• mdkauf Said:
Thanks for the info Croooz. Do you think the 3.1 GPA as an undergrad will be a problem to get into a postbacc program?

Depends on the school. So if possible visit the school if you're close enough or if not give them a call. In the end I would apply and see where you stand. I have one here and while the cost wasn't a problem it is a postbacc for the prereqs and I already had a few so they wouldn't accept me. My recourse was to take the classes at the local CC. No job and my wife's furlough gives us limited resources so the only option is the CC. I know some med schools will not consider me and I'm ok with that. I apply next year to one school and if not accepted there, then I apply the following year to 20-300 schools...
  • sam_1 Said:
take a couple of CC courses and supplement them with some upper-level coursework at a four year university. This is my plan, at least.

Makes perfect sense, and I would recommend the path. But make sure that your top choice schools do not advise against this course of action. CC was the way to go for me, and thank god, it worked out. But it is true that this path has some drawback. Trade carefully here.

Good Morning everyone. This is my first post, so I apologize if I am in the wrong area, but my quesiton is related to this topic. Here’s the bottom line:

I graduated from West Point with a less than 3.0 gpa. Spent five years on active duty in the Army and have been away from school for a while. Need med school pre-reqs and I need to do well in them. Plan was to complete my pre-reqs at a State University (versus community college). Want to make sure this makes sense, versus trying to enter a formal post bacc program. Made contact with my med school of choice (here in Texas) and they said I just needed to complete my pre-reqs and apply. Any thoughts/guidance/suggest ions/war stories would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a bunch!

As a caveat to that last post: planning on re-taking the classes I performed poorly in at a state university as well. I realize I won’t fix my GPA substantially, but I’m hoping with some hard work, re-taking some classes, and good volunteer work I can have a shot. Thanks again.

J.

Tara Cook (USMA '95) is a huge supporter of this board and an Air Force neurologist now. She might be of help to you. Her board poster name is tec.

Great, thanks for the info.

First question, the short answer is yes it would enable you to go to medical school in the US if you maintained your US citizenship. However, you would be less competitive against other applicants by going to a community college. I recommend the post-bacc program. I’ve been to three community colleges and and tell you that the university level sciences are more intense, which is why many medical schools consider an A at a university as more effort than at a community college. Basically, an A at a community college could mean a B or an A at a university, it’s harder for them to really compare.

While nontradmed is right about CC being perhaps less competitive, taking classes at the state university vs postbac is equally fine. What you will miss is the increased advising support SOME postbac programs offer. Some also have linkages but I think that is not as much of an advantage as one might think. Shop the schools in Texas, your state university prereqs (provided you do well in them and well on the MCAT) will do fine. Research, research, research each step of the way. welcome!!!

Kate