Delurking

Rich told me to delurk during yesterday’s OPM talks. So I’m posting.

Hello, everyone. I’m glad to have met other OPMers over the weekend, and I certainly appreciate the insights and advice of all the conference speakers and representatives in the vendor hall.

My background is in electrical engineering, and I’ve been working in Silicon Valley since 1999. Two weeks ago I had three stents put in my heart. A week ago I finally followed through on what I’ve been wanting to do for a long time and quit my job. It was my moment of enlightenment as described by Marcia in her talk.

This summer I’m signed up for Ochem 1 + lab in UC Berkeley’s postbacc program. (I know, I know.) GenChem 1 and 2 are already done; Ochem 2, bio, and physics remain for the certificate. I still have to figure out what I want to do for extracurriculars, but this weekend’s conference has given me lots of good ideas.

Again, thanks to everyone who put effort into making this conference happen. I’m very glad to have attended and to have especially met my table mates, Nathan and Emily.

Oh, and by the way I’m 46.

Nicely done OldEE

About 2 weeks before this year’s OPM conference, I asked the NAAHP to send me to an adviser. My adviser told me about the OPM that was happening in less than two weeks. So I went to the web site and registered not having a lick of knowledge of what would happen and who these people were. But I am so grateful that I was able to attend. There I met OldEE and Emily. OldEE and I hit it off right away. We just enjoyed talking about engineering things.

In addition, I was able to resolve some major confusion I had about whether to be an MD or DO. There are a couple of decent MD schools in my area and with family in tow (wife and 2 late teens), I figured that was my only choice. But for some reason, once I met Dr. Anita Showalter, everything seemed to clear up. I knew the type of Doctor I wanted to be…a DO. Again, thank you Dr. Showalter for you help.

Emily: I hope you have a chance to get on the board too. With your family, I know it’s difficult to get time. You’re making an awesomely bold move…but I could tell that you have that passion, that drive, that will help you move through the process and make it!

Surprise, surprise: Rich comes from a varied background, but has IT experience and is a Project Manager. About two years ago, I got my PMI, but I’ve let it lapse because I want to become a Doctor. But talking with him, hearing his story, helped me connect with him. I am so thankful he has taken this task on. You (Rich) have helped me so much.

For me, these last 3 years have been more of a night-mare than anything else. But I made it. I’ve come through it. Lorien’s story helped me so much to know that it is possible to endure hardship, to be “real” and still make it. Lorien, I’m so glad I got to meet you. I know you’ll make a great research Doctor. I’ve always heard about MD/PhD graduates, but I had never met one before. I hope that they are all like you…major love of learning, but with a real heart. Thank you for sharing yours with us.

Dr. Marcia - Thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to be with us, to share with us. I noticed that the first part of the presentations were mainly about the MD route. But since I spoke with Dr. Showalter early on, I wanted to hear more about the DO side. You provided that in spades…for which I’m most grateful. I’m also grateful for you touching on the financial aspect. I know that I don’t have much money now so I’ll need to utilize all that information that you provided. Thank you again!

So, Rich, for me it was a wonderful time. It provided everything I need to move forward from here. So thank you again for this conference!

OldEE, I glad we connected. Looking forward to messaging you through the forum. Take care, my friend.

Nathan

I swear I’m not technically a lurker; I’ve posted cough once.

But I’ve just got back from the OPM conference and was so impressed by everyone that I promise I’ll post more from here on in.

I was that short little mocha RN / EMT from the VA eastern shore. Some people might’ve missed me if they didn’t look down. For those of you I met – wonderful getting to you! For those I didn’t – maybe next year, and best of luck to everyone.

-Eccesignum (Arrianna)

This was my first year. Didn’t know what to expect. The biggest thing I walked away with is that this journey has been travelled by many others. As long as I don’t give up, or settle, I will become the doctor I was called to be.

It was a major step of faith to attend, and it was more than worth the step!

Look forward to next year!t

I am still CLAPPING for this organization!! I have been happily lurking for years now. Thank you so much for this conference!! The speaker’s were rich with knowledge and information.

If anyone is even considering this crazy journey THIS CONFERENCE IS a FANTASTIC INVESTMENT for your future…

Since I believe we are about the same height (and both from VA) I absolutely remember you and it was great to meet you!

-Jennifer

Great to see another EE around here! Congrats on starting your journey!

I am as well, I believe I talked to my family the entire 10 hour ride home yesterday!! I have a new sense of urgency and commitment to “getting this done.” It was wonderful meeting everyone and seeing that we have so much in common. I can not wait for net year. I agree, it was a huge investment in our future!

I had a fantastic time at the 2014 conference. The speakers were magnificent and very informative. Everyone was so nice and engaging! I was a lurker, but not anymore. This was $$ well spent!

The conference this past weekend blew me away. I can not thank this organization and all of the speakers enough for the motivation and information they provided for all of us non-trads. It was great to meet so many kindred spirits and feel like this whole idea is possible and crazy, but the good kind. Back to work, but with an improved outlook! Take care, everyone.

Big thank you to everyone who attended and made this year’s program possible. I am so very encouraged to continue on this path. My dream is a reality and there is a group of people who have the same desire. Until we meet again…remember to take a breath!

Welcome to the active side! Great to meet so many new folks at this conference!

I’m glad you walked away with that, Ardrell - it’s an important take-home message, one I learned at my first OPM conference in 2010 as well.

Keep plugging away, and keep posting here on OPM … we’re all in this together.

See you next year!

LOVE your thread title … it brought a much-needed smile to my face this morning. Thank you!

So glad you found the conference helpful. This was my 5th, and I’m amazed at what I still come away with.

Hope to see you again next year!

I second Kate’s “welcome.”

One thing I will add is to remember that we are all in this together. We all encourage each other and contribute in different ways here on the forum. Don’t ever be afraid to post or ask a question, no matter how stupid it might seem (it’s NOT).

Hope to see you next year!

Yes! Rule 1 is SO important - I can’t tell you how many times I have repeated it to myself (and subsequently drawn that slow, relaxed breath) in the last several years. Glad that stuck in your mind.

Hope to see you next year! Keep posting …

Possible: yes. Crazy: yes. Which is EXACTLY why OPM is so important, as I think you discovered - we’re all in this together, and we all want each other to succeed. Hope to see you next year!

It is so exciting for us to see MORE of us ready to take the plunge!!!

Congratulation on a new level of consciousness.

And…take a breath!!!

When I began volunteering at the local hospital, we all did a go-around saying why we were there. When I finished my little spiel, the volunteer coordinator said, “And yes, CRAZY comes in all sizes, shapes and AGES!!” And the class laughed.

But here I am, an accepted postbaccalaureate student!!

Welcome to the journey!!

Yay, more delurking! Welcome to the forums. As you saw from the conference, this is a friendly, casual, yet committed group.

Please, keep us posted on your progress. Don’t be afraid to ask questions, to share good news, or to ask for encouragement.

We are all in this together …