Difficulty/Subjective?

I know from all that I have read and researched, it’s typically better to attend pre-med classes at a 4 year University to make you more competitive.

It has occurred to me, however, that some schools are more “rigorous” than others even in terms of 4 year Universities.

I am attending a small private 4 year University with a respected reputation. However, it is a liberal arts college. I’m sure if I attended GA Tech, the classes would be more rigorous. Being serious about my studies, I’ve studied biology and chemistry a lot before I entered class. As a result, I (at least at present;-) ) find them moderately difficult. I study every day, sometimes for an hour…sometimes for four hours. I love the school I’m attending, but I want to feel like I’ll be well prepared for medical school.

My point…is it better to get a 4.0 at a respected, but private, 4 year university, or get a 3.5 from a school known for Math and Science? I suppose the MCAT is the final “apple to apples” comparison, but how do med schools judge something as subjective as “school difficulty?”

My personal feeling is that a good student will do what is necessary wherever they happen to be.

Also, have any of you OPMer’s out there felt like where you attended (private 4 year liberal arts v.s. big 4 year tech school) noted a difference in overall performance in med school?

Thanks,

Dan

4.0 is always better than 3.5. Always, always, always. Without exception. “Honors” or “advanced” or “super duper” is meaningless, a tie-breaker at best, more often simply irrelevant. Unless the medical school specifies that they don’t like community college credits, CC 4.0 > Harvard 3.5. I’m not talking about the quality of the education, I’m talking about the effect of the GPA on the opinions of the adcom.

At least, that has been my experience throughout my academic life. I can only assume it applies equally to medical school, and all the anecdotes I have heard seem to establish the same point.

• spoxjox Said:
4.0 is always better than 3.5. Always, always, always. Without exception. "Honors" or "advanced" or "super duper" is meaningless, a tie-breaker at best, more often simply irrelevant. Unless the medical school specifies that they don't like community college credits, CC 4.0 > Harvard 3.5. I'm not talking about the quality of the education, I'm talking about the effect of the GPA on the opinions of the adcom.

At least, that has been my experience throughout my academic life. I can only assume it applies equally to medical school, and all the anecdotes I have heard seem to establish the same point.

I concur strongly with the above. My perception is in the better grades vs. better school questions, better grades wins, with the the context of 4 year schools.

I’d say it depends on what your MCATs are in the context of your grades.

For example, I’m fairly certain that a 32 MCAT/3.5 from Hopkins is perceived differently than a 27 MCAT/4.0 from USF.

• pathdr2b Said:
I'd say it depends on what your MCATs are in the context of your grades.

For example, I'm fairly certain that a 32 MCAT/3.5 from Hopkins is perceived differently than a 27 MCAT/4.0 from USF.

While the above is likely true, that is after the fact: student has to select undergrad institution years before MCAT is taken. But is does show overall makeup of your application is probably as important as the individual pieces. Each piece needs to support your overall narrative.

Along these same lines, degree chosen seems to be of little weight. A 4.0 in art history or underwater basketweaving seems to beat a 3.4 in an engineering or science major. As long as you get the required math/sciences out of the way, and do well on those, the major doesn’t matter.

Nope … it does not matter even if you took networking algorithms and went nuts understanding queueing theories! Not fair!

Uh…what are networking algorithms and queing theory (see I can’t even SPELL it)! …

Kate

Haha! Is that a trick question? Geez, I struggled with that subject during my masters… could not figure out the most efficient way of letting traffic pass through a toll bridge, especially when traffic comes in bursts (the previous signal turned green) and people make almost random decisions on conditions being almost the same on which gate to go and pay toll? And, then implement it as a project for computer labs! DUH! YikeS!

I like express toll … so much easier on everyone. Haha!

I used to worry about this extensively, as the university that I attend is not one of the “major” ones in my state. It is however the closest to my home and one of the most friendly for older students in their scheduling of courses. I just figure A’s here or A’s there, it is all going to be the same.