Disbelief

I got my MCAT scores today, and I don’t know that I’ve ever been so disheartened in my life. I don’t know how, but I somehow only managed a 26. I took almost a dozen practice tests and only got below 30 twice (29) and had a high of 34.

This has pretty effectively taken the wind out of my sails. With a 26 I can’t apply to MD schools, and with my 3.4 GPA I’m not even competitive at DO schools. The earliest I can retake the MCAT is July 26, which means that that scores aren’t posted until the end of August. Applying early and a high MCAT was what I was banking on to get me in, now I’m freaking out a bit.

What’s worse, is that I don’t know what I did wrong on the exam. I took Kaplan’s course and studied like mad for it, I did reasonably well on my practice tests and I was confidant walking out of the testing center that I broke 30. There were some difficult questions, some things I had to guess on, but I still had extra time in each section and overall I felt really good about the entire exam.

So I really don’t know what to do at this point. Even if I retake it and do incredibly well, my application will be so late coupled with my subpar grades, I will have very little shot at an MD school. If I wait and focus on keeping my grades up for my final 2 semesters and retake it next year my application might be a little stronger…but that’s a big if, and I might well lose a fair amount of skills and details I’ve learned for the test.

I still can’t believe it…

Take a breath and then let it out. Relax. You are not the first and certainly not the last to have your real scores not reflect how you did in your practice scores. This is the nature of the MCAT.

For starters, yes you are competitive for Osteopathic Medical Schools. Second, what is the breakdown of each section. Then think about this; unless you change drastically how you study for the MCAT, the majority of the time your retake score will go down. So if you are intent on taking the MCAT again, then go through the entire day and try to figure out what was different this time than in your practice tests.

When I took the MCAT after studying for 2 years for it, I was devastated when I received a score of 22. I thought it was all over. Then I looked at each minute of the day. Mind you, this was when the test was still scantron. So basically I realized that I guessed on a total of 60 questions. So I retooled how I studied and 8 months later I received a 29.

You can still apply to medical school this year and get everything complete. When it asks you about the MCAT, they will have the score but then ask if you are retaking. If you say yes, then the application will be sent to each school which will then put your application in a pile until the new score is released and then they can process your application. In the meantime, they have it and you can work on secondaries since 99% of schools don’t screen since application fees are cash cows to them.

• gabelerman Said:
For starters, yes you are competitive for Osteopathic Medical Schools. Second, what is the breakdown of each section. Then think about this; unless you change drastically how you study for the MCAT, the majority of the time your retake score will go down. So if you are intent on taking the MCAT again, then go through the entire day and try to figure out what was different this time than in your practice tests.

My breakdown was 9PS 8VR 9BS, while my average for practice tests was 10 11 11 or so. Test day wasn't any different for me except for stupid little things. I practiced with a pen instead of a pencil on my scratch paper, the test computers had much smaller monitors and ran at much lower resolution than mine at home do (although I practiced for this by taking the practice tests in small windows), I used the earphones the testing center provides and didn't practice with them. But my timing, my approach to the questions, was all pretty much the same as far as I an remember.

I walked out of the exam expecting a 10 12 12, I honestly cannot comprehend how I did so poorly. I felt really good about the verbal and wouldn't have been surprised with a 13. There were only a few questions that I had to blindly guess on, I didn't feel rushed or worried at any point that I can remember. It didn't feel any different from the practice tests, but the results weren't even close.

• In reply to:
You can still apply to medical school this year and get everything complete. When it asks you about the MCAT, they will have the score but then ask if you are retaking. If you say yes, then the application will be sent to each school which will then put your application in a pile until the new score is released and then they can process your application. In the meantime, they have it and you can work on secondaries since 99% of schools don't screen since application fees are cash cows to them.

My applications for AMCAS, AACOMAS, & TMDSAS are all fully filled out and ready to be submitted sans the MCAT score (and June 5th to roll around). If I add another MCAT date, doesn't the nature of rolling admissions kind of screw me since I'm now 3 months behind the curve?

My first MCAT score was a 28. I went ahead with the application process, submitted AMCAS the earliest date in June and retook the MCAT on July 5 - got a 32. I had to use my school’s pre-med committee and because of my July MCAT date (and scores not available until August), my committee letter was not submitted to schools until middle of September. I still received 10 interviews and 3 offers of admission. Yes, the advice is to apply early, but early doesn’t have to mean everything is in June 1. I think as long as everything is in by Sept/Oct, you’ll be fine.

…take some time…and just breathe a bit. Nothing can be said to reduce the amount of whiplash your feeling right now. So just allow yourself the time you deserve to digest it and whatever you do try not to problem solve for a few days. In my experience, your motivation and focus will return back to its highly effective level real soon. Don’t give up and don’t give in over this. Your course of action may have to change, but not your goal

RIGHT. THERE. WITH. YOU.

-sigh-

I actually didn’t tank as bad as I thought, but it still stung to see the whopping 27S staring at me.

My practice tests were so strong…but my test day was nothing like any practice test I’d taken, so… Gaaaah…just… Shell shocked.

Onward and upward…July 6th retake, here I come…

• Prodigal Said:

This has pretty effectively taken the wind out of my sails. With a 26 I can't apply to MD schools, and with my 3.4 GPA I'm not even competitive at DO schools.

Sorry to hear about you disappointment, but there is always more to the story...

I don't know why you think you are "can't" apply to allopathic medical schools with a 26 and 3.4.

According to the AAMC 23% of applicants with MCAT scores of 24-26 and 3.4-3.59 GPA WERE accepted.

Don't give up and not apply to a school you really want to go to!

I would say that you have a pretty good chance to get in DO if you apply and a fair chance to get in MD, so I wouldn’t give up hope. I know the MCAT is a gut check but balanced score like yours isn’t the end of the world.

Doc, I love the fact that you provide referenced data! 23% is way higher than I would have guessed-good info.

According to the AAMC 23% of applicants with MCAT scores of 24-26 and 3.4-3.59 GPA WERE accepted.

Don’t give up and not apply to a school you really want to go to!

Also look at schools with lower average MCAT scores - you may find you are more competitive at these schools than those with sky-high numbers. I’m still waiting on my scores so that I can start figuring out where I’m more likely to be accepted…and I’m going just MD at this point.

So I’ve all but decided that I’m going to retake the MCAT, and I’ve been checking every day or so to see what the availability is. Today a spot opened up for June 21 locally (actually at the same site I took it at in April), which I think is a lot better than July 26 which was the soonest previously. I think I’m just going to reserve the spot, and if advice from my pre med advisor and you fine folks indicates that I should wait another month, it’ll be worth eating the $70 to reschedule.

On a similar note, I’m seriously considering asking the AAMC to re-score my test. My score just doesn’t make any sense, I know what it feels like to come out of a test unprepared and it really just seems like an aberration, and it’s just SO much lower than my practice tests. They say it takes 4 weeks before you get your results back, so if I’m retaking it anyway, and there really was a mistake, is there any downside? Does anyone have any experience with re-scoring or even heard of anyone doing it?

When they rescore do they recore the who thing or just the Writing Sample, I thought it was just Writing Sample.

You have the option of doing all three of the multiple choice sections or the writing section or both.

9s in PS and BS aren’t the end of the world. I’d say submit your app now anyway and you can update with new MCAT scores if/when you retake.

As others have mentioned, these scores and GPA aren’t deal-breakers for either DO or MD schools. Keep your head up! I know it’s hard when things don’t go as well as expected. Good luck!

So I am for sure retaking the MCAT on June 21, I’m not sure entirely how to study for it other than taking more practice tests and reviewing concepts I’m weak on, but c’est la vie.

I am curious about how schools look at the app with a pending score on it though. If they would be willing to take me with a 26 do they proceed with the app even though I’m taking it again, or will all of them just set it aside until the new scores come in regardless?

As I have everything else (transcripts are in, committee letter will be ready any day now, etc.) my plan is to submit all 3 applications in the next couple of days. Originally my plan was to do it first thing tomorrow, but with scores so much lower than expected I have to take some time to adjust my schools list, talk to my pre-med adviser, etc. Should I adjust my PS at all and comment about my performance on the MCAT as it’s significantly different from what I expected? Or is that bad form?

I’m sure all schools do things differently, but my school didn’t send my committee letter until my second MCAT score came in August. Also, the AMCAS application will ask if you want schools to look at your application now or if you want them to wait until your re-take score is available - I opted for the latter. I just pushed forward with my applications on the assumption that my second score would be better. I also was sure to apply to schools with lower MCAT averages just in case my second score was the same or worse. Some schools state on their website that their decision won’t be affected if you’ve taken the MCAT twice - whether there is an unconscious psychological affect on their decision, we’ll never know. My first score was a 28 (second one was 32) and out of 9 MD interviews I attended, no one asked about it or mentioned it. Best of luck as you move forward

I wouldn’t mention the first score in your PS. If you plan to submit your app prior to getting your second score back, then it would just draw attention to something that may not be an issue if your second score comes back better. I believe the advice is to let each school determine what they consider subpar rather than draw attention to it. You should have an answer ready just in case you’re asked about it on interviews, but if your second score is good, I can almost guarantee no one will ask. Just my two cents.

An update for those that might be curious:

I’ve spoken with my pre-med advisor at length and her advice was to take a couple of practice tests immediately and retake the MCAT if they were considerably higher than my performance on the actual thing. Also she recommended that I should apply to just my one local state school via AMCAS, and any DO/Texas schools I want to go to. If my score comes back from the retake higher as expected I can always add more schools to AMCAS, but the verification procedure will be completed.

I took both an AAMC and a Kaplan full length last week and scored 30 and 34 respectively (11PS 9VR 10BS & 10PS 12VR 12BS). Both of which I’m quite happy with for the most part, especially considering I have not done any additional studying since I took the real thing. The kaplan one actually felt quite a bit like the actual exam I took in April. More and more I’m thinking the real thing was a fluke.

Retake is in 10 days…wish me luck

GOOD LUCK!!! My retake is in 3 weeks and 5 days, and I am so stinking nervous.

I can’t wait to hear how it goes–I feel certain that you will feel much better this time around!

Fingers crossed…

Good luck!

How did it go?