Early Decision Program

I have searched the forum for any previous threads which discussed EDP’s and came up blank, so if I’m repeating a thread-so sorry.

I just learned that my University has a joint program with my #1 med school which guarantees admittance upon graduation. (I sent an email to the pre-health folks to see if non-trad’s can also apply or if it’s exclusive to traditional students. Fingers crossed). The same med school also participates in the EDP which leads me to my question:

Does a percentage of the students matriculating into a med school from a joint university program, account for any portion of the total applicants accepted through the EDP? Or is the EDP a separate animal all together? I understand this may be a school specific question; however I am curious if anyone here has any knowledge of this process.

I’m figuring that if the two are separate, by the time the joint program applicants and the EDP applicants get accepted, the number of available seats quickly diminish before the rolling admission process even begins; at least with this specific med school and others like it that offer both EDP and university programs.

Also, I understand that the EDP carries with it certain risks since I will be applying to only one medical school through the Early Decision Program and wouldn’t be able to apply elsewhere until denied, or the Oct 15 deadline rolls around; which ever comes first. That means applying late to all other institutions. Any thoughts?

I did one early decision program application to a program that was developing a linkage with my post-bacc program that later fell thru. Had to apply by October of the year PRIOR to when I would start med school (so before finishing my prereqs). They waited till after December to evaluate that semesters grades and then, if I’d been accepted, it would have been conditional on a certain minimum grade in the rest of my prereqs spring semester and a certain minimum MCAT score (neither of which were specified). Like I said, the proposed linkage fell thru.

However, in their scenario, it didn’t affect my regular application which was the FOLLOWING spring (at the completion of my post-bacc), in 2009, for starting in 2010. You follow?

I think other early decision programs are similar. You are applying in a manner that lets you skip the “glide year”.

Kate

Ok thanks Kate, you brought that into focus- the EDP happens the year prior- that makes more sense So why isnt this a popular practice? I would think that everyone would attempt this if they had a #1 pic and wanted to skip the glide year? Am I missing something?

Most EDPs occur at the same time you would normally apply but as you stated preclude you from applying to other programs until you hear which likely won’t be until Sept at a minimum. That puts you behind the 8 ball. So generally I have heard that the risks outweigh the benefits. There are a few people for whom it may work. Outstanding grades and overall ap. only applying to one school because of location.

To your other question, I believe those are separate programs.

DETDR,

I believe Kate429 mislabeled her linkage early acceptance program (EAP) as being an early decision program (EDP) and is causing you confusion.

Just to clarify, EAPs (or whatever other name is being used, like assured admission program, guaranteed admission program, et cetera) are geared for traditional premedical students just entering college: Typically, these potential EAP students spend their first two years taking the typical premed curriculum while being intensely scrutinized. If they preform well and are recommended by faculty, these potential EAP students can apply for the EAP their junior year. If accepted, EAP students can spend their senior year diversifying their curriculum without the stress and/or chore of having to applying to medical schools for that year. As long as EAP students continue meeting expected performance standards (high enough GPA, high enough MCAT, et cetera), they will begin medical school right after undergraduate graduation. There are hybridized EAPs for two-year post-baccalaureate premedical programs (like Hawaii and Louisville).

Early decision programs (EDPs), on the other hand, are applied for at the beginning of the senior year of college for traditional premedical students. So for those wanting to enter medical school next year in 2013, they should be applying now. Typically, successful medical school applicants will apply to 20+ medical schools at once. An applicant applying as an EDP applicant is gambling somewhat by being limited to apply to only one medical school right now–the EDP medical school. EDPs are for outstanding applicants who already know what medical school they want to attend. This saves time, money, and avoids the application stress for those accepted through EDP. As LJSimpson explained earlier, marginal medical school applicants applying for an EDP will find themselves in a precarious situation of having to apply to a great deal of medical schools in the latter end of a rolling admissions cycle when they are passed over in October. Their admission chances would have immensely greater had they forgone EDP and applied to 20+ medical schools much earlier in the cycle.

I neglected to answer DETDR’s original question: From the admissions committee view, committing already outstanding premedical students to medical schools helps to free up first year medical school slots more early on in the admissions cycle to less competitive medical school applicants.