Expiry on coursework; recommendations?

Hello all -

First-time poster. Recent joiner. Two questions.

Does prereq coursework expire? I took some pre-med coursework nearly fifteen years ago, prior to and after acceptance into pharmacy school. So, from the perspective of requirements, I’m complete. Local advisors with whom I speak encourage me to sign up for their post-bacc program, since they feel I could use a ‘refresher.’ But I employ biologic and physical concepts in my job on a daily basis as both a researcher and clinician. So, that seems kind of ridiculous. And clearly I haven’t forgotten the material, nor the ability to relearn information, if I nail the MCAT. Will certain schools not accept my aged pre-reqs? If so, which ones?

Another reason some advisors told me I should go back is because I could get a more recent academic recommendation. Do the three recommendations that form the basis for your application have to be all from undergrad or prereq courses? I can find three academic profs from pharmacy school to write me recommendations, but it seems ridiculous for profs to extol the virtues of 18 year old me, when I can get medical directors to write about 33 year old me. I do appreciate the perspective that going back can show initiative, perseverance, maturation; but that seems like a dog-and-pony show… That a professor is an academic, versus clinical, professor seems semantic at best. I mean, why retake a 3 credit biochem course just for the rec when I can publish a chapter and get the editor’s rec instead?

Clearly, there is no cookie-cutter application strategy. My hope is that I can use my antiquated pre-reqs, get a competitive MCAT score, have three recs from pharmacy school profs, and as many more recs from recent experiences to supplement or replace the prof recs.

I’m trying to create my application short-list. No need to apply to schools that have pre-req expiries, nor don’t value recs from current activities over old profs. Can anyone offer any insight into which schools may be a better fit?

Happy to discuss via string or off-line. Thanks so much in advance. Looking forward to returning the kindness.

Best,

Dave

Each school has their own rules on how old pre-recs can be, so you would have to check with each one individually before you apply. If you got good grades in your pre-recs and they haven’t expired I wouldn’t see any reason why you would have to retake them, IF you can feel comfortable enough with the material to do well on the MCAT. I do think you will need to take some classes. Maybe upper level Bios or something like that. This is two fold: one to show that you are still able to “do coursework” (I know sounds crazy) and to get letters of rec from professors about how you did this course work. I am not sure if a letter from a older profs or work related fokls counts. You might have better luck with DO schools if you want to try the route you listed above.

From what I’ve read and heard, 5-10 years is the limits on pre-req ages. To be certain, I would call the schools you are interested in applying, they’re really the only ones who can answer the question because it is different from school to school. Unfortunately the answer is the same for the LOR info-have to check with the schools =x

Many schools have pre-req expiration dates, but some do not. Probably have to call or check their websites. The conventional wisdom is that schools do like to see recent coursework to make sure you can still excel in the classroom. Also, many of the secondaries that I’m seeing require recent letters from science profs. Schools may be able to grant exceptions but you’ll have to ask each one. I agree that it can seem like a game, but in order to play, you have to follow the rules and jump through the hoops that the schools require. Basically sounds like you’ll be spending a lot of time on the phone!

I keep hearing about these schools with pre-req limits. Are they as prevelent as folks make them sound? I only applied to 18 MD/DO schools and none of them said anything on their websites about the age of pre-reqs. The only one I worry about is physics, since I retook all chem and have plenty of UL bio. But I sure don’t want to have to take physics next summer to assure getting in. Especially since I got good grades in those the first time.

Sorry to threadjack.

dtpompei,

Due to the length of my reply and the finnickiness of these forums, I will have to divide my reply into 2 posts.

• dtpompei Said:
Does prereq coursework expire?

It largely depends on the school. Some schools have an official policy while others have only an unofficial policy. Still others have no policy at all. It's surprisingly subjective. Take Brown University for example. Their official policy is that "Generally, all premedical coursework should be completed within ten years prior to your anticipated enrollment at Brown."

http://med.brown.edu/admissions/faqs.html

Others may state 7 years or 5 years or no expiry date. Since you have graduate-level coursework from a professional degree (PharmD), I'm not sure how, if at all, that factors into the equation.

• dtpompei Said:
Local advisors with whom I speak encourage me to sign up for their post-bacc program, since they feel I could use a 'refresher.' But I employ biologic and physical concepts in my job on a daily basis as both a researcher and clinician. So, that seems kind of ridiculous.

I completely agree.

• dtpompei Said:
Will certain schools not accept my aged pre-reqs? If so, which ones?

Based on my own personal experiences navigating this process:

1. University of Southern California

2. Tulane

3. Temple

4. all University of California schools

5. Brown

6. Loyola

7. Drexel

I know there are others, but these are the only ones I can think of off the top of my head right now.

While coursework does not officially "expire" at Albany Medical College or Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences, they both strongly "encourage" coursework to be recent. Here is Albany Medical College's view on the matter: "An applicant who has been away from formal academic coursework for a prolonged period is advised to complete traditional college level courses before applying for admission to Albany Medical College."

http://www.amc.edu/Academic/Undergraduat e_Admissio...

dtpompei,

Here is part 2 of my reply.

• dtpompei Said:
Do the three recommendations that form the basis for your application have to be all from undergrad or prereq courses?

In a word, no. But again there is considerable variation between schools.

• dtpompei Said:
I can find three academic profs from pharmacy school to write me recommendations, but it seems ridiculous for profs to extol the virtues of 18 year old me, when I can get medical directors to write about 33 year old me.

You're preaching to the choir, man.

• dtpompei Said:
I mean, why retake a 3 credit biochem course just for the rec when I can publish a chapter and get the editor's rec instead?

I see you're using common sense; that's a common rookie mistake. Academia types don't live in the practical "real" world. Theirs is a very insular world with its own peculiarities and quirks - and we have to play by their rules whether they make sense to the rest of us or not.

• dtpompei Said:
I'm trying to create my application short-list. No need to apply to schools that have pre-req expiries, nor don't value recs from current activities over old profs. Can anyone offer any insight into which schools may be a better fit?

Anecdotally, I'd say stay away from coastal schools. Practically, you will likely have to talk to lots of admissions folks.

I flat out do not know whether your coursework would be accepted. I redid my “core” prerequisites, but some of my other prerequisites were over 30 years old. I needed to redo them, and do some for the first time. As you have been working in the field, I wouldn’t think you need to.

I agree with the advice to call individual schools and talk with the director of admissions about your specific situation.

Kate

To everyone who responded with such rapidity -

Thank you so much for your feedback. This is valuable information to be up on a string, and will certainly benefit other students as well.

Kind regards,

Dave

P.S. I’ll post what I learn after countless talks with admissions.

Just curious, but what motivates a pharmacist to want to go to medical school? Throughout my volunteer work, I’ve met numerous pharmacists who are no longer practicing pharmacy but are in other health or allied health care fields. Among the most recent are three podiatrists and one D.O.

The profession of pharmacy has been taken over by chains and it’s no longer a career, but a job in my opinion. As a retail pharmacist, you have to ring up the register and answer mundane questions about where the bathroom is. The chains are consistently cutting your help and expecting more. Imagine if doctors answered their own phones, made appointments, called the insurance companies, collected copays and still had to do their normal job. We work 10 to 12 hour days with just 1 30 min meal break. It’s almost as if we are treated as undocumented workers. I would love to go back to med school but finances and family make that hard right now. I’m looking on going back in 5 years when I hit 40.

• BaileyPup Said:
I keep hearing about these schools with pre-req limits. Are they as prevelent as folks make them sound? I only applied to 18 MD/DO schools and none of them said anything on their websites about the age of pre-reqs.

I second this comment with the cavaet that having recent, upper level science coursework makes this an exception.

At least that's what I've always understood to be the case.

Oh so having taken OChem and upper bio. I really dont have to worry about taking “baby bio” (ie bio 1)

Hi dtpompei.

Is there any follow up on this?

To my knowledge it is, almost entirely, down to individual policy…

What was the outcome of your findings?

Thanks in advance

• Alan F.