F.U.D....can strike at any moment...from the most unlikely sources...

On cloud nine this morning. One last exam and I put General Chem to bed. I’m at a B but more importantly I did slay the psychological beast that I allowed my high school chem teacher to put on my back. It’s okay that you’re terrible at chemistry…I didn’t expect you to be good at it and chances are you won’t need it in your future…" Fast forward to last semester before family emergency and the professor said “chem isn’t for everybody and medicine more than likely isn’t for you…ever thought of being a medical assistant or phlebotomy tech…” So I’m feeling pretty good and receive a call from my mentor which left me more full of F.U.D. than ever. Not sure what the story was to tell me about all the 3.85gpa/35MCAT kids who are applying…with “tons” of current research. Turns out it only counts what i’ve done recently not over the course of my life…!!! Sheesh…I might as well go on SDN and get my encouragement…

I need some time in prayer, single-malt, prayer, refocus, prayer, workout, prayer, Tony Robbins course… grrrrrrr

-Very similar to what my elementary school teachers told me.

Forget the naysayers, its where you have come from and how far you have come that counts for something. In the grand scheme of things I would rather trust my care to a medical professional that has had to struggle and earn, though sacrifice, what he/she knows rather than a person that felt that they ought to be a doctor because they are “smart” or inherently natural at chem, physics, bio, and the pay is well.

Sacrifice, dedication, and a passion for what you genuinely love will get you a lot father in life with a lot more substance than an IQ of 135, imho.

Kudos to you Sir, keep up the great work!!

Hang in there Crooz!!!

Man oh man… So as if the 3.85 wasn’t bad enough many of these applicants ALSO are coming from postbacc programs…??? It sure is starting to sound easier to win the Mega Lotto jackpot than gain acceptance to medical school.

2:20am here on the right coast and it hit me out of a dead sleep how five of the examples he gave me also went and did a postbacc. Beginning to feel this dream may just be that…a dream. Kids doing postbaccs to strengthen what should be a rock solid application…losing hope here.

Thanks Julio and pathdr2b. Just feels as though the bar is at such a height that acceptance is futile…Since I’m up I’ll study my chemistry and prepare for the last lab. Can’t lie though…feels as if there’s a big “what for” in all of this.

Hello Crooz, please do not give up! There are plenty of medical school that have students with diverse backgrounds. Talk to the forum member by the name of “Gala”. She just started MS1 this year in El Paso, she has foreign undergrad and, according to many, would not stand a chance to get into US allopathic med school. She will cheer you up. Same with community college prereqs, many would say (including premed advisors) that it’s a waste of time but some people just keep at it and eventually gain admission.

I think it is a good idea to hear the advice of others, but it is healthy to have a filter and only take what is positive and beneficial for your future success.

Every day can bring a new miracle.

Good Luck

Stay positive! My friend was accepted to DO school with a foreigh degree, with min volunteering /shadowing experience, GPA 24.

Don’t listen to your “mentor” - doesn’t really sound like one anyway. There are lots of us that didn’t get in from a postbac program, didn’t have a 3.85 GPA and a 35 MCAT and don’t have a ton of research.

You got this! Go slay chem!!!

Croooz… in the proverbial words of Dick Newhart… “STOP IT!”

I did pre-reqs at community college. I had a below 30 MCAT. Yes, my GPA was strong…yes, I have lots of volunteering and community service stuff (NOT healthcare)… and yes, I have healthcare connections and a corporate background in hospital/physician stuff. But other than that? Unremarkable. Hardly ANY hospital/healthcare volunteering. I get lost in hospitals. I have nothing but the bare minimum science courses. I can’t even spell biochemistry.

And here I am. Accepted to 2 out of 3 programs.

6 weeks into my M-1 year, 3 exams and 2 practicals under my belt. I’m commuting 4 hrs home every weekend to be with my family, and I’m not studying 24/7. I’m not just barely scraping by. Let’s just say I’m doing way better than just fine.

I say all that to tell you this: STOP IT. There are always people who think you have to do things a certain way. A “right” way. This community, of all places, proves that there is more than one way to get things done. You and your family have a plan, and it’s a solid one.

Don’t worry about the big picture right now–just look at the next step in front of you. You mastered chemistry. Check it off the list, and move right on to the next thing. Just keep walking, keep following the steps you’ve laid out for yourself…and the next thing you know, you’ll be staring down your application and interview year.

Just. Keep. Walking.

No worries, friend!!!

Preach it, sister!! And congrats on your first year thus far!

Kate

Sorry, but I have just got to say, What kind of “mentor” inundates someone with depressing information??? Personally, I keep people in my life who are enthusiastic, optimistic, and chronically believe in miracles on a daily basis. I put my faith in Oldumare and stride forward boldly towards whatever I am pointed towards, knowing, that somehow it will all be taken care of!! This forum is filled with people who do not meet the profile your “mentor” described and yet are in med school, completing med school, and are practicing doctors. FEAR - False Evidence Appearing Real. Do a tally on this website and let the sheer numbers of us who have succeeded be your HARD evidence. Let the HARD evidence dispel the “false evidence”. This REALLY is one of those paths, where if you are meant, and are willing to work hard, it will manifest - regardless of any ridiculous “typical profile”. The admissions people at the conference were quick to point out that they are sick of the “typical profile” and are looking for people who overcome adversity and have interesting stories. YOU are one of those people.

“If we are going to survive this, you need to remember, fear is not real. It is a product of the thoughts you create. Now do not misunderstand me; danger is very real. But fear is a choice.” Will Smith, Earth 2.

Thanks for all the words of encouragement…that was like sooooo long ago though.

Seems as though FUD can also strike our loved ones and they call to encourage but it really comes off like dream-stealing. I mean…come on! I have six publications and I’m supposed to go ask some researcher to allow me to pipet a few days so that the med school adcom looks at my app and thinks “Wow! He’s really committed!” Three years as a lab tech, six publications, and managing four multi-million dollar research programs… Has bench research changed since the last time I touched a pipet in 2002? Yes it’s been over a decade but name me a trad who would have three years of FT experience and pubs…not to mention have my former MD/PhD who is now a bigtime muckymuck at a peer-reviewed journal who is dying to write one of my recs. Has the business of research changed? Will a few hours of pipetting really be the key to convince an adcom member that I’m “now” committed? I was a supply tech who volunteered to work in the lab doing whatever was necessary…commitment?? He told me I needed to demonstrate committement…um…at 41 I’m a FT student…giving up a six figure income…to go to school FT…commitment??? Hahaha.

Ah well. My mentor is more stressed than I am. My concern is earning A’s in these final courses and performing well on the MCAT, the rest? Too late for any of that other stuff. I have volunteer time at the prison, free-clinic, and church…grades are what they are, my experiences are what they are…so it all is what it is at this point. As Vicki says if I’m supposed then I will. I would say that since I’ve decided then things will find a way.

As Will character said Fear is a choice…" so I’m choosing not to be afraid. I’ve decided to control the only thing I can control which is me, my state, my attitude, my outlook, my passion for life, for medicine, and for my wife. Everything else? Well those are out of my control so I’m not spending any time nor energy on them. I think I’m going to start a blog here on FUD and dealing with it since it’s what’s kept me from following the shared dream we all have of becoming physician.

In my opinion, the only people who even have a right to tell you that you can’t go to medical school is the ad coms…not mentors, advisors, coworkers, friends, etc.

One thing I have found is that when people give you reasons, in actuality, it is their own excuses for not doing something. When they say you are too old, what they are really saying is that THEY wouldn’t do it in our situation, or that THEY would not make the sacrifices that we do. The truth of the matter is, other people’s excuses do not apply to us.

• croooz Said:
Man oh man... So as if the 3.85 wasn't bad enough many of these applicants ALSO are coming from postbacc programs...???? It sure is starting to sound easier to win the Mega Lotto jackpot than gain acceptance to medical school.

I can understand how anyone can feel that they may not measure up. I felt that way for decades. That notion lead me to enter nursing instead of pursuing medical school in the past (kick myself every since). I'm proud of being a nurse, but it's not my preferred scope of practice.

However, one thing I learned is that you can have the best grades and MCAT scores and still FAIL to gain admission. Most of the medical school admissions people I spoke to said that they rather accept a well-rounded individual than an overachieving robot. Consequently, the robots crash and burn during the interview process.

DISCLAIMER: I am not saying all people with high grades are robots, otherwise I'd be one myself.

We can get into medical school. Fight for it.

• Silverknight73 Said:
One thing I have found is that when people give you reasons, in actuality, it is their own excuses for not doing something. When they say you are too old, what they are really saying is that THEY wouldn't do it in our situation, or that THEY would not make the sacrifices that we do. The truth of the matter is, other people's excuses do not apply to us.

Silverknight73:

I love your post that I had to see it on this forum twice. I wish I read a comment like this 20 years ago.

Crooz…

Keep your head up and drive on! I have been lurking on this forum for a while now and have read several of your posts. As a matter of fact, I look for your name just to read what you say!

Why? Because you are extremely motivating, encouraging and EXTREMELY DETERMINED! If I had to pick premeds on this forum that I knew would most definitely succeed, you would be in the top five!

So heed your own advice and drive on brother, don’t let them get you down. In your own words…

Pa lante! Pa lante, Mi Hijo!!!

Thank you

I’ve done a lot of self-motivating through this journey, so hopefully some of the realizations I’ve made can help others :slight_smile:

• simonspop Said:
Crooz....

Keep your head up and drive on! I have been lurking on this forum for a while now and have read several of your posts. As a matter of fact, I look for your name just to read what you say!

Why? Because you are extremely motivating, encouraging and EXTREMELY DETERMINED! If I had to pick premeds on this forum that I knew would most definitely succeed, you would be in the top five!

So heed your own advice and drive on brother, don't let them get you down. In your own words....

Pa lante! Pa lante, Mi Hijo!!!

Thanks! Never had a fan before. Like I posted this was soooo long ago. [sarcasm] He called at that wrong time and said all the wrong things which I allowed to affect me the wrong way. It happens but learning from it that it is not the stimulus that matters but how we respond to it. Nothing has any meaning except what we give it.

What simonspop said. You and carrieliz. You give those of us just starting out lots of faith that we can do it! Kick those FUD-givers in the face! (Please don’t really. Hehe.)