Feeling overwhelmed from studying for MCAT, working and taking classes

Hi, everyone,

I am thrilled to find this wonderful site. I just turned 38, and planning to get into medical school at age of 39. As time goes on, I am getting more anxious and fearful about the age issue. Of course, I am aiming for the best schools like UCLA, USC etc, and would like to know if my dream is completely unrealistic? Are elite schools more prejudice against older applicants? Especially someone approaching 40? The last 12 years, I have been workimg asa registered nurse.

Currently, I am studying for MCAT, my testing date is 6/16/11. I’m also working and taking classes. I am constantly feeling overwhelmed, discouraged and exhausted.

Please help!

Shan

Same here.

The kids, classes, MCAT, near full-time job. I have a hard time breathing sometimes and it puts quite a strain on my relationship with my wife. Not easy, but really, there is not much of a choice.

Good luck. And sure, your dream is realistic (but why does it matter to go to a top school?)

Shan -

ALthough I chose to go to a D.O. school, I had a good response from MD school applications as well. I found that my nursing background was a help in my applications, and that their concern was generally much more about the applicants academic qualifications (which I had) - not really the age (and see, I’ve got you beat by a LONG shot )

It’s important not to talk yourself down internally. You should go into the application and interview process keeping in mind how much you bring to the table - experienced clinical decision making, critical thinking, maturity, work ethic. Have good preparation and do that, and schools should be able to see that they would be lucky to have you. In my opinion, (and experience) feeling apologetic for your age can sap your confidence. I’m grateful that my pre-med advisors got me past that prior to my interviews.

The ideal applicant is NOT the 20’something just out of school.

Kate

Read the following thread. It mentions similar concerns and how to handle them.

http://www.oldpremeds.org/fusionbb/showtopic.php?t…

I’m not sure I have specific advice to offer, but misery loves company, so…take comfort in knowing some of us are in the same boat! I work 24-30 hours/week, taking 10 credits (including biochem II which is information overload), volunteering, shadowing, beginning to pull together the pieces of my application, and studying for the MCAT - which I’m taking 6/16/11 also! Just know you’re not alone - and take a couple hours just to unwind and do something you enjoy. My husband and I are escaping the “homework table” for a few hours Saturday night to see Madame Butterfly. You might be in a lull right now, but a good test score is probably right around the corner and you’ll be back to feeling on top of the world

• Shan Said:
Hi, everyone,

I am thrilled to find this wonderful site. I just turned 38, and planning to get into medical school at age of 39. As time goes on, I am getting more anxious and fearful about the age issue. Of course, I am aiming for the best schools like UCLA, USC etc, and would like to know if my dream is completely unrealistic? Are elite schools more prejudice against older applicants? Especially someone approaching 40? The last 12 years, I have been workimg asa registered nurse.

Currently, I am studying for MCAT, my testing date is 6/16/11. I'm also working and taking classes. I am constantly feeling overwhelmed, discouraged and exhausted.

Please help!

Shan

Rule 1: Take a Breath

Rule 10: Beware of FUD - fear, uncertainly and doubt.

Like the rest of us, you can't do a thing about your age. Period. Whatever you fear a school may do with the number of years you have been alive, you can't change it. Focusing on that fear does nothing but take away from the energy and resources you have to do with taking classes, studying for MCAT, or anything else.

Link Snap Out of It

Shan, I just became a member of this awesome site too. I’m in similar situation like yours! Taking classes, studying for MCAT, and working part time. I know it’s very anxious and you often doubt yourself as time goes by… The worst part is (for me) that my family is telling to me to give up on my dream and find ‘other jobs’. I’ve been depressed a lot too because of it. Don’t get discouraged! You’ve made this far. Let’s just move forward and do our best.

I’m in the same boat. Hang in there!! I’ll be entering med school at age 45.

Maybe I’ll see you at the conference this year.

Shan,

Right there with you. A full-time job, plus volunteering and classes and MCAT and Personal Statement and on and on and on…it is very exhausting. I find that when I think out over the future about all the things I still have to do to apply to Med School I get anxious. What helps me is to focus on today. If I focus on today then I just have to finish work, go to class, do some studying, etc. It is a lot more bearable frame of mind for me. That’s my two cents.

OMG, I feel bad because I thought I was old (26). No offense! I am so grateful I am not the only one. But, can you give me some advice on what to do? I have been studying and studying for the MCAT. I too work a lot of hours, volunteer, care for a yappy dog (Yorkie, lol) and I still feel like I didn’t study enough. On top of that, going home exhausted and opening up a Physics book is not appealing at all. I just want to go to bed but I can’t! I feel as though I don’t have a lot of hours in a day. How were you guys able to get so organized? What gives you that drive??? I am taking my MCAT 5/21/2011.

• Dr. Krystal Said:
OMG, I feel bad because I thought I was old (26). No offense! I am so grateful I am not the only one. But, can you give me some advice on what to do? I have been studying and studying for the MCAT. I too work a lot of hours, volunteer, care for a yappy dog (Yorkie, lol) and I still feel like I didn’t study enough. On top of that, going home exhausted and opening up a Physics book is not appealing at all. I just want to go to bed but I can't! I feel as though I don't have a lot of hours in a day. How were you guys able to get so organized? What gives you that drive??? I am taking my MCAT 5/21/2011.

What gives me that drive? Simply put: the absolute knowledge that this is precisely what I am meant to be doing with my life. I've pretty much narrowed the focus of what I consider important in my life down to school and my kids.

That's not to say that I don't still work, see family, go to the gym, spend time with the women in my life, see my friends, etc. but all of those things are now ranked roughly the same level as eating meals. That is, something that is important, but not something I spend a lot of mental effort taking care of. If something gets skipped, well, it's all going to be OK in the long run.

It's amazing what a bit of clarity of purpose and clear direction for focusing your will can do for motivation!

What gives us drive? That is an excellent question!

1. I look at my daughters…and I know that I want to impart this legacy to them. The legacy of never settling for mediocrity and of going after that one thing that you are passionate about. Never quitting on a dream…and showing them how far hard work and perserverance can get them in life.

2. I just don’t want to look back on this with regret over what “I should’ve done.” I’ve been doing that since college, and life is too short for regret.

3. I am blessed to have a husband, kids, and an extended family who believe in me even more than I believe in myself. When I get overwhelmed or fatigue sets in, they are there to carry me.

4. When it comes to my full time job, my classes, my kids and husband, and the 2 other things I do “full time” (music ministry and a touring band/speaking deal), I guess I just realized that it was worth it. And I can sleep later.

I just do one thing at a time, and I try to be fully present in that thing. (i.e. if I’m at the park with my daughter, I’m not thinking about work or my next exam… if I’m studying, I’m not trying to handle anything else…)

Plus…it helps that my full time job is something I have absolutely zero passion for. So I have this daily reminder of what I’m working towards.

Hang in there everyone–semester is almost over, and we can breathe for a moment before starting over again! I think it’s normal to feel really…TIRED…at this point, but just take it one day at a time!