Financial Aid Question

Okay so I am having a little fear over the Financial Aid topic. So fay I have been to three interviews that have discussed it and two have been really low-ball on the rent numbers, at least as far as I can tell.

I really love DMU but they are quoting a rent on the COA at 200 dollars less than anything I can find. And that is looking at one bedrooms all over Des Moines. For the sake of argument here how can one person live off of those numbers and if you show them that rent is more can you borrow more.

I remember Des Moines rents being pretty reasonable as long as you stay out of West Des Moines (the whole Valley Ridge area), but I was a poor college student at the time…and I never minded having roommates. There were always quite a few houses over by my campus (Drake) that people would rent out for dirt cheap–but I wouldn’t consider those houses these days. It’s a WEE bit different now that I’m married and have kids.

I’ve always understood that the med school can opt to increase your COA if given enough good reason to do so. (Extenuating factors like childcare, needing a larger living space due to family, etc. that make your COA simply higher than your average med student’s.) I thought it was kind of a case by case deal, and the med school had the ultimate final answer.

However, given that I haven’t actually played this game yet… I’m hoping someone will chime in and confirm that! I need to learn all I can about this process, so I’m glad you asked, Bailey!

I wouldn’t say that rents are crazy, but even close to DMU campus they are wanting 100 to 150 over the COA level.

Are you goingto apply to DMU? Because you really should, it is pretty awesome.

Generally the adjustment in COA allowance is for things like chronic medical needs (for you or family member). Not generally for living space. They may be figuring on a roommate, as those costs are sizeably lower. I’d also ask them if they have a “renters list”, as many schools have contacts that rent to students year after year, and that can be a source for affordable housing.

Kate

Generally the adjustment in COA allowance is for things like chronic medical needs (for you or family member). Not generally for living space. They may be figuring on a roommate, as those costs are sizeably lower. I’d also ask them if they have a “renters list”, as many schools have contacts that rent to students year after year, and that can be a source for affordable housing.

Kate

Thanks Kate. I posted my cocern over on the other site, seeing if I could hear how a student does it. My wife and I are more than willing to downsize to the smallest apartment available, but I can’t rely on her being an income factor of right now due to some health concerns she has now. One thing we won’t compromise on though is getting rid of my namesake…Baileypup.

Here’s a few excerpts from the DMU website (not that I look at it on a weekly basis or anything, nope) - sorry, it’s not a pretty picture. However, I would reach out to their financial aid office directly. If there is no changing it, ask to be put in touch with current students who also have families, if possible, to learn how they made a budget that works within the limits of the following loan ‘rules’.

Bank Decides = “Budget increase for additional loan funds are subject to bank approval.”

“Keep in mind, the budget is designed for just you, the student (not your family) and is only for the months that school is in session.”

DMU’s tuition and cost of attendance budgets are an average of what expenses may be and is also the maximum you can receive. You can request any amount of financial aid up to the DMU student budget for your class. Federal regulations do not allow the financial aid office to certify a student for more than the student budget (this includes all financial aid resources including but not limited to loans, scholarships, NHSC, HPSP (military) or any other form of financial aid a student may be receiving).”

PS - When you’re calling places mention that you’re a med student, lots of landlords love boring med students who never have parties, and may be a little nicer about the pup.

I’ve heard DMU is fantastic–but no…I won’t be living in the Midwest any time soon! Our roots are here in Nashville, and I will only be applying to all the programs within about a 4 hour radius. We have a daughter who lives with her mom, and we only see her every other week–so we can’t move far away from her. (Or won’t, I should say.) Plus, our support structure is here… all my extended family to help with the kiddos, etc. So Des Moines (and it’s -50 windchills!) will remain in my rearview mirror!!

When I visited DMU they pointed out that they have “tunnels” connecting the main buildings underground. Being from AZ I didn’t know why that was a perk, and actually asked one of the students.

Despite snow at such levels that they build hallways underground, I would still move to Des Moines in a heartbeat. The city is beautiful and the school is awesome.

Des Moines has a 200 ft tall weather beacon that always used to crack me up… It’s on top of a downtown news station, and it tells you the forecast on your drive home.

I promise you… that dang thing was white and flashing EVERY day of my college career. (At least, that’s how I remember it.)

“Weather beacon red, warmer weather is ahead.

Weather beacon green, no change is foreseen.

Weather beacon white, colder weather is in sight.

Weather beacon flashing, by night or by day, precipitation is on its way!”

My freshman year at Drake was the ‘worst winter on record since 1882’ or something like that. I grew up in Louisiana. Never snowed at my house. I thought it was cute at first… until the blizzards came, and it snowed so much you couldn’t find your car outside… whew! Crazy stuff! And in all that time, they maybe cancelled classes twice. Skywalks, tunnels… lots of salt and snow shovels… and life goes on!

Now I’m off to find a coat…