Finish FNP Degree?

I posted this originally in SDN but wanted to get feedback from this forum as well as it might be much more relevant to the demographic here.

I've searched around the forums for other topics of this sort and there seems to be mixed responses towards this concept. I'm an RN with several years of experience who sought out to attempt to be a clinician after my first year in nursing. All was going well up until the point where I had to start my clinicals. Three different potential preceptors bailed out at the last moment due to outside circumstances and I was forced to drop the course and clinical for FNP I since I could not find someone to complete 120 hours midway through the semester. The second part to the story was when one NP graciously allowed me to follow them for a day. I felt as though my assessment and knowledge was lacking up to this point as there were many things that I did not understand during the care of my first patient. With both of these events going on in the back of my mind, I wanted to try to see if I could go through the med school route to be a better clinician for my patients.

Since my program would not allow me to start back up again until next spring, I wanted to see what was everyone's input on finishing a degree versus bailing out to get prereqs. I would still be taking some of the coursework out of the way during the summer and fall but would it be a good idea to finish up my masters if it only took one more year? Financial cost will not be an issue in regards to either finishing up my FNP degree or attempting med school due to being a veteran and having both the GI Bill and Hazelwood Act in Texas.

With all that in mind, would it be wise to finish up my FNP degree or would it be okay on the adcom's part if I went straight ahead and tried to get into med school. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

It probably depends on the adcom. But I would imagine that to some, bailing on your masters program could look bad, like you don’t have follow-through. Also, bear in mind that getting into medical school isn’t a guaranteed thing. It might be good to have your masters in place as a Plan B in case you don’t get in. You haven’t talked about your grades or other factors like extracurriculars at all, so that’s hard for me to say. But it’s worth thinking about. You also haven’t said how old you are. If you’re relatively young (and by that, I mean under 40), and your masters program is only one more year, I say finish it. That’s my two cents. I hope others will weigh in as well.

Best wishes to you!

It probably depends on the adcom. But I would imagine that to some, bailing on your masters program could look bad, like you don’t have follow-through. Also, bear in mind that getting into medical school isn’t a guaranteed thing. It might be good to have your masters in place as a Plan B in case you don’t get in. You haven’t talked about your grades or other factors like extracurriculars at all, so that’s hard for me to say. But it’s worth thinking about. You also haven’t said how old you are. If you’re relatively young (and by that, I mean under 40), and your masters program is only one more year, I say finish it. That’s my two cents. I hope others will weigh in as well.

Best wishes to you!

Best wishes to you!

Having been an RN, and an MSN (CNM) I’d say finish the FNP. THe way you felt with your initial clinical is NORMAL. It’s unfortunate that you did not have more floor nursing experience before going on to get your FNP, but you are supposed to have supervised practice in order for you to gain the clinical expertise you felt lacking in.

I’d suggest trying to get some more shadowing in while waiting to retake your clinical time, and reviewing your physical assessment texts as well as trying to work thru some common presenting problems and what you ought to do in terms of history, physical exam, possible workup, and treatment - URI’s, UTI’s, earache, rashes, fever, abdominal pain, musculoskeletal pain, shortness of breath, chest pain, depression, anxiety, hypertension, hyperlipidemia, diabetes, fatigue. That is mainly what walks in my door - rarely not one of the above. That would be a good start.

If you decide to go on to medical school, the experience you gain will be very helpful indeed.

Kate.