For those interested in Caribbean

• DRFP Said:
  • Kate429 Said:
DFRP -

• In reply to:
The important factor is a health system where people are referred to the appropriate level of care.

That is not possible if the lower level provider is not Knowledgeable enough to make the correct Diagnosis, Yes I'm saying that PA's and NP's make mistakes more often then Physicians on complicated, rare diagnosis or complicated health issues.

While some NP's and PA's can practice at a high level after years of experience, its experience in their focus and not as much as all around as a physician. Also mind you, not all PA's and NP's reach the higher level.

I argue why even consider replacement of Physicians with NP's and PA's, it was never meant to be this way. It's like giving a drug that 50% of the time prevents death without a cure over a drug that not only prevents death 100% time but cures!

Please this is my opinion its ok to debate me and change my mind.

What bothers me about this or rather infuriates me is the response and stance from AMA, AAFP, and other physician groups about NP and PA. Just this week a segment on PBS concerning NP's brought the president of AAFP saying every american should be able to see a primary care physician.

Ok I agree with that, but it aint gonna happen. Even if the AMA and the government was able to magically increase payments to primary care docs, increase residencies, and all the rest, it would be a 5 to 10 years before the first med school class would be full attending physicians. How we would motivate them to open practices or be involved in underserved communities is still elusive.

What infuriates me even more was his comment that there isn't enough clinical training spots for NPs. I have heard the same argument between onshore and offshore schools.

1) There isnt enough clinical training spots for MD students now, which is what really makes the slow process of opening US based schools.

2) There won't anytime soon be enough primary care physicians to deal with the needs of an aging population nor the underserved.

3) There is little if any public support for the need for NP and PA from physician groups. I hear such vitriol from older docs who wouldn't even consider having a NP or PA in an ER

4) The majority of the aging population needs management of chronic conditions, perfect for NP and PA.

5) one of the reasons I asked our keynote speaker, Dr. Rebbecca Patchin, immediate past chair of AMA board of transit, is she started as a nurse. However, the only time I see her used her MD and BSN is when the AMA needs a spokesperson against NPs.

When will the medical community start thinking in terms of the patient for health crisis for millions of americans? Which is more powerful, cost effective, and time-efficient: training and placing half a dozen family practitioners or getting one doc, 2 PAs and NPs/RN across two clinics. Not only would it provide care to many but also remove the growing pressure on ERs

Sorry, rant and rave is now over. We return you to your regularly scheduled forum
  • gonnif Said:
  • DRFP Said:
  • Kate429 Said:
DFRP -

• In reply to:
The important factor is a health system where people are referred to the appropriate level of care.

That is not possible if the lower level provider is not Knowledgeable enough to make the correct Diagnosis, Yes I'm saying that PA's and NP's make mistakes more often then Physicians on complicated, rare diagnosis or complicated health issues.

While some NP's and PA's can practice at a high level after years of experience, its experience in their focus and not as much as all around as a physician. Also mind you, not all PA's and NP's reach the higher level.

I argue why even consider replacement of Physicians with NP's and PA's, it was never meant to be this way. It's like giving a drug that 50% of the time prevents death without a cure over a drug that not only prevents death 100% time but cures!

Please this is my opinion its ok to debate me and change my mind.

What bothers me about this or rather infuriates me is the response and stance from AMA, AAFP, and other physician groups about NP and PA. Just this week a segment on PBS concerning NP's brought the president of AAFP saying every american should be able to see a primary care physician.

Ok I agree with that, but it aint gonna happen. Even if the AMA and the government was able to magically increase payments to primary care docs, increase residencies, and all the rest, it would be a 5 to 10 years before the first med school class would be full attending physicians. How we would motivate them to open practices or be involved in underserved communities is still elusive.

What infuriates me even more was his comment that there isn't enough clinical training spots for NPs. I have heard the same argument between onshore and offshore schools.

1) There isnt enough clinical training spots for MD students now, which is what really makes the slow process of opening US based schools.

2) There won't anytime soon be enough primary care physicians to deal with the needs of an aging population nor the underserved.

3) There is little if any public support for the need for NP and PA from physician groups. I hear such vitriol from older docs who wouldn't even consider having a NP or PA in an ER

4) The majority of the aging population needs management of chronic conditions, perfect for NP and PA.

5) one of the reasons I asked our keynote speaker, Dr. Rebbecca Patchin, immediate past chair of AMA board of transit, is she started as a nurse. However, the only time I see her used her MD and BSN is when the AMA needs a spokesperson against NPs.

When will the medical community start thinking in terms of the patient for health crisis for millions of americans? Which is more powerful, cost effective, and time-efficient: training and placing half a dozen family practitioners or getting one doc, 2 PAs and NPs/RN across two clinics. Not only would it provide care to many but also remove the growing pressure on ERs

Sorry, rant and rave is now over. We return you to your regularly scheduled forum

I agree

We need

Nurses

NP's

PA's

AND Physicians

We need the TEAM!

But because NP's and PA's are "CHEAPER" for the Insurance companies and only a percentage suffer by bypassing Physicians "It's Acceptable"

When did it happen?

I have seen Americans accepting less and less for the sake of money........ People you are the "Acceptable percentage" you wont understand until its your turn to be screwed.

It will happen more then likely, something will get missed or you can't see the physician and then your treatment was wrong............ It happens everyday more and more just few complain because they "Like the NP or PA"

Yes yes your harmed or even dieing but that NP was sweet and cared......... Like I said Wake up!

I trust NP's don't get me wrong but then again I know when they are messing up, my sister doesn't.

We need the medical Team and the Physician as the leader...........thats the best situation.

Get the Insurance companies out of making policy!

The insurance companies are the ones who created this problem... I can prove it just not in this thread.

Thanks, gonnif. I concur with your points whole-heartedly.

Kate

Last two days been posting to an 18 year old kid who has a low GPA from Highschool. His parents went to medical school outside the US where they go directly from highschool into a 6 year program.

He was asking if he can get into a premed at one of the Caribbean schools because his parents have told him its a “Piece of cake”. WHAT? I’ve been telling him not too and go to any US university and prove himself. Get into a US medical school. He and his parents think its a waste of time doing this. He needs to go to medical school now and getting a residency will not be difficult because it was not for them.

I told him times have changed

I told him that in the US there is an increase of 30% of US medical students.

I told him that its better to go on a path where undergrad is worth something and if he finishes medical school he is in a much better position for residencies.

But at 18 he is 1000% sure he will be a Doctor.

I’m 1000% sure he and his parents will be 1000% sorry they did not listen to my advice.

Caribbean can be a road to practice but when you do not have a degree from the USA and you are so young trying to navigate Medical school this is an epic fail for most waiting to happen. I saw them when I went to school. Only 5% made it from premed to Medical school to graduation.