GPA Before and After and MCAT

Good Evening Everyone~

I at 22 with a BA and an unremarkable (2.95) GPA. I then spent 8 years in the Army, and have returned to Arizona to rake the science courses for a MD/DO or PA Program. I have taken 36 science and mathematics units at a local CC with a 3.8 GPA, making my overall GPA approximately a 3.15. Will Medical School review boards see my early age GPA as “youthful stupidity”, and if not, how best to get around it? LORs are strong.

Also, what is the earliest time one can take the MCAT effectively? I have Gen Chem/ O Chem I complete, along with Bio. I haven’t done Physics or O Chem II yet. What is the minimum classes one should have done to make an MCAT attempt worthwhile?

Thanks

-james

James -

You want to take the MCAT ONCE and do well, if at all possible. Med schools see every score you have gotten.

That said, you should have taken the basic prerequisites definately including physics and O Chem I and II. Some folks take it with a few weeks of O Chem II left, or with O Chem lab left. If you look at the topics covered on the MCAT it will be a good guide to whether your courses have hit most of them, and which ones you may need to review on your own before taking it.

Don’t skimp on MCAT prep!

Kate

the question i always ask : are you trying to get into medical school or are u trying to get into medical school quickly ?

MCAT & GPA are the 2 most important factors. the adcoms will see thru the application mechanics separate GPA for ‘pre-bacc’ & post-baccalaureate so ur vast improvement will be noted. additionally a stellar MCAT is perhaps how an older student can best show competitiveness across all applicants . also many students under estimate the prep time and effort for the MCAT which should be considered at least as 6 really hard hard science classes. it is unlike any other exam. take when u are ready to blow it way i

• gonnif Said:
...the adcoms will see thru the application mechanics separate GPA for 'pre-bacc' & post-baccalaureate so ur vast improvement will be noted.

It's true that adcomms *can* see ugrad and post-bacc separately, but many just look at the final combined gpa. (Or the screening computer just looks at the overall gpa.) Sometimes you have to encourage adcomms(e.g. via contact with them) to look at the rising trend line.

Cheers,

Judy

Thanks all. I’m going to knock out Physics I/II and O Chem II in the summer/fall, and take an MCAT prep course. There’s not much I can do about my GPA; it is almost asymptotic at this point. Guess I’ll have to rock the MCAT. No big deal, right… =(