Grad school GPA

I had a horrible grad school GPA (2.9/3.2) for a variety of reasons (took 7 years to finish).

How negatively with this impact my chances?

Its done now, but what suggestions do you guys have to “bump up” the rest? I know good MCAT and good prereq grades, anything else?

Take the courses required for med school. Take ALL of them even if you had it before, even if you think you’d be bored, or it’d be too easy.

Ace them.

Take the MCAT. Score above 32.

Apply.

Do not worry about the past, you can address that when you apply.

It is a scary first step to get on this path, and I surely do not want to diminish the fear factor of it. Three years ago, I asked many of the same questions. What about this or that or maybe or whatever… and here I am, probably 6 months out from applying.

If the niggling voice is saying, “Try” would you rather be 30-ish and trying, or almost 50 and trying because I can tell you, first hand, that niggling voice NEVER goes away.

Amen to that!

Kate

Your graduate GPA is not going to help, but you have a good idea what you have to do to give you a fighting chance: good MCAT, good prerequisite grades, etc.

Try to get strong letters of recommendation. Have a really interesting application essay. Remember that you have an unique story. So tell it. Hopefully, that leads to an interview and then you can wow the interviewer with your personality, insight, etc.

And apply broadly. Don’t forget about DO (osteopathic schools), apply to those too. And if you really want to be a doctor no matter the cost, Caribbean medical schools is also an option.

• AD04 Said:
Your graduate GPA is not going to help, but you have a good idea what you have to do to give you a fighting chance: good MCAT, good prerequisite grades, etc.

Try to get strong letters of recommendation. Have a really interesting application essay. Remember that you have an unique story. So tell it. Hopefully, that leads to an interview and then you can wow the interviewer with your personality, insight, etc.

And apply broadly. Don't forget about DO (osteopathic schools), apply to those too. And if you really want to be a doctor no matter the cost, Caribbean medical schools is also an option.

Thanks everyone. Im not sure when I want to take the MCAT, I'm aiming for 2014 mainly because Im not sure I'll have all my preqs in by 2013. I "should" have chem 1/2, physic 1/2, basic bio, Im not sure hot to fit orgo in, except in the summer

My aim actually is DO school, but I'm apply for the six schools in michigan (no way in HELL I'll get into the University of Michigan!)

Perhaps you’ll find this kind of information more helpful. I recently had my master in public (http://onlineprograms.cune.edu/mph/masters-degree-in -public-health-overviewhe althand) it wasn’t an easy road for me neither but luckily I found my way through it. You shouldn’t give up, not after you got so far.