Help me with my list

Hello, everyone–

Yes, I know September MCAT, October application is a majorly unspeakable folly and sin, like believing that (Julius) Rosenberg is totally innocent (Ethel is). OK, OK. With this consider that you have already given me the “don’t apply this year” advice. Thanks!

My top choice is SUNY Downstate. I want to do primary care in cities for immigrants and low-income people.

My stats are OK, but I am not applying to many fancy schools because my parents’ D&B will lead to my not getting serious institutional aid. (Yes, this is really true…let’s leave that argument for another time.) I have an obscene debt load from an educational misadventure that indicates maximum conservatism this time around.

I also have a huge, huge quirk in my personal history, so huge that it cannot even be hinted at on the internet, way beyond the “special snowflake” cliches, that would suggest the more “alternative” option, to the tiny extent that exists in med school land. This quirk will not give me any sort of “edge,” but it’s there.

With these caveats, where else should I add? Here’s the existing list.

Downstate

Stony Brook

Buffalo

Upstate

Ivy alma mater

Hometown public school (no longer a resident)

Mt. Sinai

Einstein

Maryland

Howard

UVM (pricey!)

Temple

Where else do you think? I really appreciate the feedback. I am not limited to the East Coast.

Many thanks,

SC

Check out the MSAR put out by AAMC. That publication breaks down each schools stats in terms of GPA, MCAT score, in-state vs. out-of-state. Without specifics it will be hard to say if you have a chance or not, and as you already said in the beggining of your post you understand the folly of trying at this point in time. As Gonnif would say, do you want to get into med school, or get into med school quickly? In most instances trying for expediancy is not reccomended, and can actually be harmful to your chances. What makes me curious is why do you have to apply now? What would waiting one cycle do? (other then improve your chances due to the rolling admissions process.) I understand the desire to want to start on the process NOW once you’ve decided this is what you want to do, but applying now, it makes me want to facepalm. Everyone on this site has a quirk in their background, that goes with the territory of being ‘non-traditional,’ but your best chance is to use your list next year.

Must be one heck of a quirk if it can be used to ID you from listing it on a anonymous mssg board…

• samcooke Said:
Hello, everyone--

Yes, I know September MCAT, October application is a majorly unspeakable folly and sin, like believing that (Julius) Rosenberg is totally innocent (Ethel is). OK, OK. With this consider that you have already given me the "don't apply this year" advice. Thanks!

My top choice is SUNY Downstate. I want to do primary care in cities for immigrants and low-income people.

My stats are OK, but I am not applying to many fancy schools because my parents' D&B will lead to my not getting serious institutional aid. (Yes, this is really true...let's leave that argument for another time.) I have an obscene debt load from an educational misadventure that indicates maximum conservatism this time around.

I also have a huge, huge quirk in my personal history, so huge that it cannot even be hinted at on the internet, way beyond the "special snowflake" cliches, that would suggest the more "alternative" option, to the tiny extent that exists in med school land. This quirk will not give me any sort of "edge," but it's there.

With these caveats, where else should I add? Here's the existing list.

Downstate

Stony Brook

Buffalo

Upstate

Ivy alma mater

Hometown public school (no longer a resident)

Mt. Sinai

Einstein

Maryland

Howard

UVM (pricey!)

Temple

Where else do you think? I really appreciate the feedback. I am not limited to the East Coast.

Many thanks,

SC

At the risk of being an obnoxious new yorker, I am not going to let a post like this pass by without comment. The reason being I want everyone to understand that late application with so-so stats not only reduce your chances for this cycle but can adversely affect your chances for future cycles. For example from the Einstein Med School website

"Third time applicants (applicants who have COMPLETED two prior applications) will not be considered under any circumstance." (emphasis theirs)

from your brief outline

1) Very Late MCAT

2) Applying without knowing MCAT score

3) Very late application

4) so-so stats

5) quirk in background

6) small number of schools (most apply to 12-20)

I will add additional,

Processing at some schools such as SUNY SB is essentially done by the end of September; they start interviewing and admitting students by October (they are trying to grab the ones who also would get accepted to yale and harvard)

Is your goal to be accepted to medical school or to be accepted to medical school this cycle?

Other than your impatience, what are your pressing concerns in a MUST application this year?

Guys, I appreciate the feedback, but do you have any schools to suggest?

Re: point 6 above, short list, that is precisely why I am asking for other suggestions, to increase the length of the list, whether for this year or next.

I am not hell-bent on applying this year (no need to assume impatience or, for that matter, so-so stats) and I hear the obvious reasons not to, as I said in my original post. Obviously, if my MCAT comes back terrible, I won’t apply. If you have a suggestion, you can attach a caveat that I’m not to use it until next season…I’m a grown woman, I can handle it.

I don’t mean to sound snippy, but this is typically a very straightforward place and I’ve put in my time answering others’ questions. If you don’t have a school to suggest, perhaps you can message me privately to tell me about the error of my ways instead of adding to the thread. I realize it’s done in good faith, but how clear do I have to be about my original question? Thank you! All the best.

Yes, it is. I’m sure you didn’t mean to be rude.

How about Penn State and Jefferson? I applied to them and at least got a “we’re maybe interested” response.

Thank you! Will look into it.

If you are an older student dead-set on doing primary care why not consider some DO schools, as well as MD? Will quickly broaden your list, and are more open to interesting backgrounds.

Also, the huge quirk has my mind whirling with curiosity. I assume you’ve gotten professional advising on whether this issue will impair your chances, even if by anonymous phone call to random MD school you’re not interested in…

Finally, if you’re dead set on MD and applying late in cycle perhaps consider the school in Australia with connection to the health system in Lousiana? They start in January…

• PixieSanders Said:

Finally, if you're dead set on MD and applying late in cycle perhaps consider the school in Australia with connection to the health system in Lousiana? They start in January...

its called medpath and its american office is run by the former longtime director of the columbia post-bacc program

also consider MCP as i believe they seat one of the largest medical classes

I wasn’t meaning to be rude, I really just made on offhand comment.

As far as answering you original question I really don’t know what you are wanting, and you subsequent responses have done nothing to clear that up. If you want suggestions to other schools to apply to, I have heard good things about Case Western, Drexel, and UofL. None of those are going to take a late applicant with “OK” stats. You really aren’t giving us much to work with here.

• samcooke Said:
Guys, I appreciate the feedback, but do you have any schools to suggest?

Re: point 6 above, short list, that is precisely why I am asking for other suggestions, to increase the length of the list, whether for this year or next.

I am not hell-bent on applying this year (no need to assume impatience or, for that matter, so-so stats) and I hear the obvious reasons not to, as I said in my original post. Obviously, if my MCAT comes back terrible, I won't apply. If you have a suggestion, you can attach a caveat that I'm not to use it until next season...I'm a grown woman, I can handle it.

I don't mean to sound snippy, but this is typically a very straightforward place and I've put in my time answering others' questions. If you don't have a school to suggest, perhaps you can message me privately to tell me about the error of my ways instead of adding to the thread. I realize it's done in good faith, but how clear do I have to be about my original question? Thank you! All the best.

Honestly, my posting was not intended to answer your question but rather to make it clear to all others who read it to realize the implications and challenges of applying so late in the process. While the mission of OPM includes being civil, supportive and accurate, sometimes that means taking a critical and strong stance in order to help members have the best possible chance for acceptance to medical school.

I have spent the past few weeks helping students with less than stellar chances withdraw application rather than go thru secondaries.

USC, St. Louis U, and Loma Linda, might be good ones to look into.

Thanks for the further suggestions! I will check them out.

“Much to go on,” what more can I say? I am looking for a school that takes primary care seriously and focuses on cities. That would rule out, say, Kansas or Lubbock, TX.

My stats are indeed OK (3.8 science, 3.5 overall, MCAT practices in upper 30s). But, not to be pedantic, I was not asking “Do you think I have a shot at School X?” I wasn’t asking, “Oooh, should I apply to Brown?” Again, I truly don’t mean to be snippy, but it’s a little offputting to be made an example of, I have to say.

Say for example someone had asked for RURAL primary care programs. I might have said, “Hey, did you know about Columbia’s new Cooperstown program? I don’t know what your stats are like, and sure, it’s very late, as you know, but there it is.” It didn’t cost me anything to say that.

Re: the background quirk, precisely because I have been rather frank in my previous posts, in an effort to help other posters and answer their questions, it would take about two seconds for an admissions officer to identify me if I hinted at my indeed very distinctive aspects. (It’s that I actually am Sam Cooke, btw…not only a person of color, but dead, too.) Again for example, a useful response might be, “My out transgender friend has been very comfortable at [School Name], though she applied much earlier than you.”

I first heard about Maryland on this very board. I was hoping for some more suggestions along the same lines (primary care in cities, like I said initially). Thanks to everyone who gave me some new ideas!

-sc

Sam-

You might look at Meharry. It’s in TN, I think. Not that urban itself but urban underserved is one of their focuses. Also, I believe they fill their class rather later than some other schools.

It’s a traditionally black medical school, currently very diverse in many ways.

Einstein’s a good pick from your list. U. of K in Lexington Kentucky has a rural program which has to be at a completely different campus because their primary program is so urban.

Kate

Thank you! Kentucky had never, ever crossed my mind. There is truly a new idea. Meharry had escaped me for a moment, but is right on target.

Best,

sc

Careful with Meharry… I work with physician recruiters, and many of our hospitals have stopped hiring Meharry grads, because they can’t pass their boards. Something seems to have gone wrong in their curriculum over the last several years. Granted, it may well be the case of a few bad apples spoiling the barrel, but the reputation is not a good one when it comes to actually getting a job. Many hospitals and recruiters see “Meharry” on a CV and just set it aside. That’s the current trend–but I do hope it changes soon, because the school has great potential.

**If you aren’t looking for work in middle TN after school, the reputation deal may not be as much of an issue. I can only speak for the local hospitals in the area immediately around Meharry. Not saying “don’t apply there,” by any stretch–just know that it may be an additional obstacle to overcome in the long run. You just have to work that much harder to get a good residency match and overcome the preconceived ideas about the education you receive.

Good luck!

• samcooke Said:
I am looking for a school that takes primary care seriously and focuses on cities. That would rule out, say, Kansas ...

Again, I truly don't mean to be snippy, but it's a little offputting to be made an example of, I have to say.

-sc

You might rethink demising Kansas. Kansas City is an urban metropolitan city that has undergone a decay as the city has moved outwards towards the suburbs, the typical doughnut effect. If you read this:

http://www2.kumc.edu/fammed/research/

you see that KU Med School's Primary Care is heavily relied upon by those in the city, and that these people are not part of the mostly homogenous population of the rest of the state.

I get your feelings on being made an example of. You clearly seem to understand the issue very well and don't need a lecture.

Good point on KC/KCMO. It/they is indeed not a farm town. I am from a place not unlike it. My impression was that they were looking for people who could commit to primary care in rural Kansas a/o similar. Will review. For the special program with funding a/o loan forgiveness, there’s a place where “don’t bother applying late” is well-taken, but we’ll see.

It is a darn shame that Meharry has such a poor reputation. There is a person from my postbac program who is there right now–I’ll see what she has to say.

Thanks to all!

–sc

I’m not applying yet, but my BF is a 4th year at UofL in KY and it’s a mixed urban/suburban population. KY is a great place because we do have a decent immigrant population as well. HTH!