Here we go--Let the whirlwind begin!

Hard to believe, but spring semester starts this week. Wow! In the next 3.5 months, I will complete my prerequisites for medical school, take the MCAT, volunteer over 100 hours in a NICU, secure my LORs, polish my personal statement, and begin my application for medical school in order to have it ready by the 1st week in June. I will do this in addition to my “normal” life, which includes a full time career and a family.

Thus is the life of a pre-med student! I had to write it all down just to convince myself it was really happening.

Here’s the thing…Exactly one year ago, I started my first semester of pre-reqs, and I was terrified. I hadn’t been in a classroom in over a decade, and I didn’t know how I’d make it work.

Then, some of you explained to me that the road will be forged, and that I would be surprised how I’d find the time to get it all done. Like having children for the 1st time, you find yourself reaching a new level of homeostasis. It simply becomes normal to be busier, and suddenly it doesn’t feel as busy.

Each semester, I’ve begun with increasing confidence. Now, even as I look at that long and rather arduous list ahead of me in the next 3.5 months, I don’t have that crazy anxiety that I had a year ago. I know I can get it done, because that’s just what we do around here on OPM! We get it done…in spite of it all!

I am thrilled to see so many new people around here these days! For those of you just starting out, I wanted to encourage you and let you know that it CAN be done. You AREN’T alone. and You AREN’T crazy for trying.

Good luck as we start another semester, everyone! I am rooting for each of you! Just wait–we’ll blink, and May will be here in a nanosecond!

Carrieliz,

I am happy for you and can feel the excitement in your writing. Your words are very encouraging.

I still do not have clarity on how to proceed but also feel the momentum build up I will need to be propelled forward onto the goal.

Good luck this semester and keep us posted and motivated with your success.

Best,

I really appreciate you sharing this. I’m not going to lie, I’m pretty scared to start this journey. It’s daunting to think of all of the things that I need to do in the next few years.

Indie - what’s that annoyingly “wise” saying? “THe journey of 1000 miles begins with one step”.

I’ll give you my take on it.

Don’t look TOO far ahead. I’m one to talk as I engage in what I jokingly call “preemptive worrying” - but even I try not to project more than about 3 steps ahead. In consequence, I have a fair idea (as a 2nd year) of some residency programs I want to apply to, so in the middle of next year, I can work on setting up “audition” rotations at some of them.

In the premed stage -

1. Look at what needs to be added to your credits or experiences to ready you for med school applications, based on your background

a. courses required to meet prerequisits

b. courses you might retake due to age/can’t remember them well enough for MCAT

c. volunteer activity

d. shadowing

e. start thinking about possible LOR’s.

2. Figure out a tentative plan for when you will have those preparations complete and have time to prep for MCAT

3. Embark on your plan, getting to know the professors (from whom you might get LOR’s), the docs you set up shadowing with (from whom you might get LOR’s). Keep a journal of your volunteering experiences and healthcare experiences from which to draw when writing your essays.

4. Start now reading some inspirational/informative books. Like Paul Farmer’s “Mountains beyond Mountains”, (there are some great suggestions on another thread)

Kate

I agree with Kate.

When I started this little journey, almost 4 years ago, I simply made one phone call. To Judy.

“Am I insane to try this?”

What came after that conversation was a gander at the requirements, at the MCAT, at schools, at my abysmal GPA… then more questions, and then I took a placement test at the university.

After that, some 4 or 5 months later, I decided to register for one class. I figured if I could do well in that, I’d register for more.

What I had not anticipated was my personal life turning into … well, politely speaking, guano. People who read my story wonder how I’m still sane (some wonder if I ever was!).

I got an A- that first semester back. Twenty some years after my first chemistry course in college, I got an A-. Then life really handed me some doozies.

A year off was not a choice. I did not have the option to continue. My life was in shambles and I was seriously, this is not an exaggeration, looking at how to live in my truck with my then 3 dogs; my son always had housing at my parents if required.

Eventually, things leveled out, turned the corner for me and… last fall I took a look at what I had to take.

I’m now 3 years past when I started and, well, here I am.

This past November when I took a look at what I had left; it was this coming semester and MCAT.

Where’d everything go? Tears welled when I thought about how much I’d been through, endured, survived, and finally, thrived. And here I am, on the door step of the dreaded MCAT.

My point being, if I had one piece of guidance for anyone, of any age venturing onto this path:

one step. Not three, not twenty, not 4. One step.

I’m floored that I am looking at MCAT dates. I truly do not know where time has flown but by focusing on the here and now, not the future, well, that future I was looking at 3 years ago, is now here.

One step.

Just like Neil Armstrong.

Agreed on all counts, my friends. When I began, I was consumed with FUD. Preemptive worrying? Yup. Before I’d taken a single class, I was worrying about what specialty to go into. LOL

And then I found people like Kate. and Richard. and Judy. And Gabe. So many people on this forum who don’t have time, but give it anyway. People who taught me how to eat the elephant… (Come on, everyone together now…“One bite at a time!”)

My family and I rarely look beyond the next semester. We have a plan, but we make sure the plan is flexible enough to bend and change if need be. At the end of each semester, we reevaluate the plan–and then and only then do we allow ourselves a look at the longer term goal. Take stock, make any necessary adjustments, check things off the list, and keep on running. We don’t stop for too long, lest we get too distracted or worried about things beyond our control… Left foot, right foot…giving our best, making it happen.

We pray for the courage to take the next step. Period. Not the whole race. Just the next step.

Just don’t forget to breathe. And just don’t stop running. And eventually? You will steam roll each and every goal you have. (Kind of like that Alabama defense just did to my LSU tigers… sigh Oooooh, well…)

**PLEASE don’t misunderstand–I still freak out. But I know something now that I didn’t know when I started (and that’s what I want to encourage you with). When I do freak out? When it’s over, and the dust (and my blood pressure) settle back down, I know I’ll get back to work and get it done. And so will you. =)

I was thinking the same thing the other day, carrlieliz…the next 3.5-4 months are action-packed! We’re taking the MCAT the same day.

Good luck to you, and everyone else this semester!

There are quite a few of us heading towards an April 28th MCAT…

The month of May is going to be oh-so-fun while we wait, isn’t it???

I love it–we’re going to have an amazing cycle!

I am starting my first semester of OChem and will complete semester 2 and lab over the summer (the last of my pre-reqs). I can’t decide if I should take the MCAT this year or next. Can a person be ready for the MCAT without completion of both OChem and lab?

Marty-

Orgo represents a fairly smaller portion of the material on the MCAT than the other three topics. I’m not sure when you were thinking of taking the MCAT in this scenario, but it seems like you might be robbing yourself of some points. My $.02.

Probably better to wait, IMHO.

Marty -

I think you need O Chem II class, but not really the lab for taking MCAT (which is what I had, and don’t remember any “holes” in my O Chem readiness)

Kate

• Marty Erlandson Said:
I am starting my first semester of OChem and will complete semester 2 and lab over the summer (the last of my pre-reqs). I can't decide if I should take the MCAT this year or next.

It depends. Here are the scenarios I see.

1. If you wait until the end of the summer, after you have completed OChem II, to take the MCAT, you will be at a significant disadvantage in applying to medical school this year because your application will go out very late, weeks or even months after the majority of applicants submit their completed applications. It takes a full month to get your scores back and your application will not be considered complete without your MCAT scores regardless of when you hit the 'pay & pray' button.

2. You can take the MCAT this spring before taking OChem II, but then you may be at a disadvantage because you haven't had the material presented in this class.

It would seem that both scenarios would put you at a disadvantage in applying this year.
  • carrieliz Said:
Hard to believe, but spring semester starts this week. Wow! In the next 3.5 months, I will complete my prerequisites for medical school, take the MCAT, volunteer over 100 hours in a NICU, secure my LORs, polish my personal statement, and begin my application for medical school in order to have it ready by the 1st week in June. I will do this in addition to my "normal" life, which includes a full time career and a family.

Thus is the life of a pre-med student! I had to write it all down just to convince myself it was really happening.

Here's the thing...Exactly one year ago, I started my first semester of pre-reqs, and I was terrified. I hadn't been in a classroom in over a decade, and I didn't know how I'd make it work.

Then, some of you explained to me that the road will be forged, and that I would be surprised how I'd find the time to get it all done. Like having children for the 1st time, you find yourself reaching a new level of homeostasis. It simply becomes normal to be busier, and suddenly it doesn't feel as busy.

Each semester, I've begun with increasing confidence. Now, even as I look at that long and rather arduous list ahead of me in the next 3.5 months, I don't have that crazy anxiety that I had a year ago. I know I can get it done, because that's just what we do around here on OPM! We get it done...in spite of it all!

I am thrilled to see so many new people around here these days! For those of you just starting out, I wanted to encourage you and let you know that it CAN be done. You AREN'T alone. and You AREN'T crazy for trying.

Good luck as we start another semester, everyone! I am rooting for each of you! Just wait--we'll blink, and May will be here in a nanosecond!

You are an amazing person!!! Honestly, to have all of that on your plate and be successful is nothing short of remarkable!! My humble respect to you and to what you have accomplished thus far. I'm sure that I speak for many in that you are a HUGE motivation and inspiration to us who feel that at times we can't. But now I know and feel that we can and we WILL.

Again, thank you and God's speed in this coming semester

Thank you so much!! That’s very kind of you to say, and I truly appreciate your words.

I only know how inspired, motivated, and informed I’ve become because of people on this site who’ve already blazed this trail. Because of that, I certainly want to turn around and do the same for the next group.

This site works because people are committed to helping each other and speaking the truth, even when it’s hard. I will continue to do so as I move into “application” phase, because it’s been done for me…

Thanks again for the support–and best of luck on your journey!