I am glad to see that there are others like me

Hello “non-traditional” comrades. First off, I would like to thank the makers and its members for this unique site, dedicated to those of us who may sometimes feel a little “different” when compared to “normal” premeds.

I am 31 years of age and have been a firefighter/paramedic since 2004. Four years ago, I was diagnosed with stage 4, non-Hodgkins Lymphoma, which unfortunately ended my firefighting career.

During my time in treatment (chemo, radiation, and stem-cell transplant) I was placed in a situation of uncertainty and fear. Not so much by the illness, but by the untraveled road that was awaiting me following my remission.

Four years later, I am now two courses shy of completing my biochemistry degree from California State University, Long Beach. In addition, I am two days away from taking my MCAT . I choose to smile because like many of you reading this, after studying for quite some time, all you can do is smile, and take what’s coming to you.

I look forward to reading many of your posts, and would greatly appreciate any feedback. This is my first posting/forum. So if my posting etiquette is not to par, please chalk it up to inexperience.

One question, for those of you who have taken the MCAT, what did you do “the day before,” to help aid the minor anxiety?? I know that nothing will completely alleviate this emotion, but any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome! With what you have gone through and came out so victoriously, no need to be anxious. You are right where you should be at the right time, for the right reason, and just as God saw you through your darkest nights, He will see you to your brightest days.

I have not taken the MCAT yet, (hope to in January), so I would like to hear what others have to say as well. I’m the kind of person that likes to review a few weak areas (worked well for me for the GRE). I would most definitely pray, read my Bible, relax, and get a goodnight’s sleep.

You got this

Many blessings! I’m praying for you!

My bible is packed in my travel case as we speak (flying to AZ for the exam). Thank you so much for giving me piece of mind. I greatly appreciate it.

That’s the most important thing you could have packed! God will see you successfully through this. Have a safe trip

f1

just relax. You will do fine. Have a good relaxing night. No need to keep reviewing stuff. It will just make you anxious and tired.

I took the afternoon / evening off before my test. Slept in a hotel, away from my 2 little ones, so that I could rest. It didn’t work so bad for me.

“minor anxiety”??? MINOR anxiety?? This is something I do have to struggle against, sometimes, and for MCAT it was pretty big. I traveled to the city where I was taking it and checked in to the hotel early, then did a “dry run” of my directions to be sure I knew how to get there, so I could plan at least DOUBLE that time the next morning, to arrive early.

Brought my bible and read Psalm 91 that night, plus some other relevant passages (“he who began a good work in you…etc”). Studied a little till 9 pm and then closed the book, totally, and tried to reset in what I already knew.

Kate

Haha…ok, kate. Maybe a tad bit more than “minor.” I just checked into my hotel room, in what appears to be the middle of the desert, surrounded by commercial warehouses and car dealerships. I asked the sweet lady at the front desk, " Miss, where can I find a local place to eat?? I don’t have a car." The lady smiles and responds, “well…there is a McDonald’s about half a mile away. Next to that, there is a Burger King. Across the street from that is an authentic Mexican restaurant. A little down the road, there are a few more Mexican restaurant.”

I smiled and sarcastically responded, “so… you’re telling me that sushi isn’t an option?” It looks like I am having tacos for dinner : )

I agree. I am just going to have some food and remain indoors, and out of this 99 degree Arizona heat. Thanks for your suggestion. If anything, I may do some verbal passage reading (without answering questions) just to keep thee ol’ noggin sharp.