I DON'T KNOW WHERE TO START...

I have a B.A in Marketing Communications (11years) and am a Licensed Massage Therapist (7 years). Currently I’m still in radio and teach massage therapy. After going over the muscles, tendons and bones preparing students to pass the NCTMB I have this feeling in my heart to do more. I’ve been told that at the age of 34 I am reassessing my life and looking for purpose. I’m wanting to go into Orthopedic Surgery or pursue a a D.O. I just don’t know where to start. I know I will have to take some science classes. I just don’t know what or where. Any suggestions? Thanks

Welcome! I’m by no means an expert on this stuff, but hope I can get you started in the right direction.

First, I would recommend talking to some physicians if you can and trying to get an idea about what you could be getting yourself into. If you are able, try to shadow someone for a few hours. I don’t know how much interaction you have with physicians but if you’re unsure about a day/week/month in the life of a doctor it would probably be a good idea to speak to a couple of them.

As for science classes, there are a number of different ways to go about those. The cheapest of which would probably be at a local community college. You can also take them at a 4 year university (in a wide variety of student-statuses). It’s also possible to try to get into a formal or informal post-baccalaureate program for pre-medicine at a university. They all have their advantages and disadvantages.

Here is a link that can help show you some post-bacc programs that might be in your area.

http://services.aamc.org/postbac/

The requirements for medical schools vary, but most want at a minimum:

1 year of biological science (2 semesters or 4 quarters)

2 years of chemistry (2 semester or 4 quarters of general chemistry and 2 semesters or 4 quarters of organic chemistry)

1 year of physics

Many also want a year of college level math (calculus and/or statistics) and a half year of biochemistry or molecular biology. Like I said, the requirements vary from school to school. You will have to investigate the ones you’re interested in to see the full extent of classes you’ll have to take.

I hope this has all been helpful.

I will check out the site. Thank you

I would add that DO schools would generally find your background a plus when you are applying. THere are two students in my current class who are massage therapists, and one of our graduate teaching assistants (who helps with the Osteopathic Principles and Practices course) is also a massage therapist.

Experience with manual therapy is a plus at least at the OMT (osteopathic manipulative therapy).

Having said that, yes, you need the sciences. I’d say you would need to take the prereqs as mentioned, MCAT’s, and then perhaps during the application “glide” year, take biochemistry, anatomy and physiology, and or genetics.

I’d also suggest calling some local D.O.'s and asking if they include OMT in their practice. If so, ask if you can shadow them. It will give you a good idea of whether this path is for you.

Kate