Interview attire...black??...skirts?

Hi all. I was visiting Baylor last year on a day that they happened to be doing interviews and EVERY student there had on a black suit. I know it’s expected that we wear suits and look professional for interviews but does it have to black? I didn’t know if it was just a common color choice for suits or if there is an unspoken rule that you wear black. Also, does anyone know if it’s acceptable for women to wear pant-suits? I only ask because even though it is 2006…my sister is an attorney and has mentioned that there is an unspoken understanding in the profession that women attorneys do not show up in court with pants, only skirts. I was just wondering…need to start shopping.

Thanks!

Bea

There is an unspoken belief among pre-meds that you must wear black. This is not the case. Wear a professional color, sure, but not necessarily black, and in fact a different color would be a refreshing change.

Some older men are unconsciously bothered by women in pantsuits, and some are not. Since it’s often unconscious, you can’t really even ask them. So if you are okay with wearing a skirted suit, I think it’s preferable. You’re unlikely to offend anybody by wearing a skirt.

I wore forrest green on my residency interviews and I had everyone from chief residents to secretaries comment on how nice it was to see someone not wearing black. At one interview, some of the applicants and the program director were on an elevator heading to Grand Rounds. The program director made a comment about how it looked like a group geading to a funeral (I am not kidding) as everyone else in the elevator was wearing black except me and the PD.

The same rules apply to med school interviews. Black is not a mandatory color and skirts are not required. I saw plenty of people on the interview trail for both med school and residency wearing pants. The key is to look professional and like you are wearing your clothes (you will understand that when you see lots of people who wear suits that do not fit them well).

And just to put all this into perspective, on my interview day, I saw:

A woman in a sleeveless pantsuit.

A woman in a pinstriped pantsuit where the pinstripes were copper Lurex.

A woman whose pantsuit jacket was too tight and who didn’t have the sense to just unbutton it.

A woman in a shiny suit and a black lace-trimmed camisole that showed her cleavage.

Many women in pointy-toed, high-heeled shoes that I would only expect to see on Sex in the City. All of them complained about their shoes in the women’s bathroom.

Since I had a lot of “stuff” of my own going on that day, I can’t say what happened to everyone, but my school does let most of its early decision applicants in and the woman in the camisole (a very bright woman with a strong research background) is definitely a classmate today.

I always answer these wardrobe questions with what I consider to be the best thing you could put on your body for interview day, using John Molloy’s Dress for Success research and my own experience with how I have been treated in meetings depending on what I wore, but there is certainly leeway.

But the takehome message is: Wear a suit that fits you that you wouldn’t wear on a date.

Rats; I love black and my best suits are black. I guess I’ll go get something different… or maybe my kilt?

If your good suit is black, wear a moderately snazzy shirt with it. Don’t make yourself crazy.

• tec Said:
I wore forrest green on my residency interviews and I had everyone from chief residents to secretaries comment on how nice it was to see someone not wearing black. At one interview, some of the applicants and the program director were on an elevator heading to Grand Rounds. The program director made a comment about how it looked like a group geading to a funeral (I am not kidding) as everyone else in the elevator was wearing black except me and the PD.

The same rules apply to med school interviews. Black is not a mandatory color and skirts are not required. I saw plenty of people on the interview trail for both med school and residency wearing pants. The key is to look professional and like you are wearing your clothes (you will understand that when you see lots of people who wear suits that do not fit them well).

Yeah, I've already heard the "funeral" quote about a dozen times in half that many interview days. Another good comment was by a director of admissions who told us not to worry about getting lost because all we have to do is stand in one place for a few minutes and someone would help us, since "we stood out like a bunch of IBM salesmen."

I have a lot of other nice suits, but am just playing it safe with black, esp. in the more conservative sections of the country. I've seen other colors though, and it seems like women take (and maybe are allowed?) more flexibility in what they are wearing. There has only been one male I have seen so far wearing a non-black suit, and it was a really crappy light one. It would have been ok if it had been a nice suit, but it looked like he got it at Target, and slept in it the night before.

Anyway, I guess the reason everyone wears black is because they know they can't go wrong with that.

When I interviewed I wore a light pink-tweed like embroidered with different shades of brown (hard to explain)and a white button-down blouse. There were 3 of us that day in non-black, one dark brown and the other bright teal pantsuit.

I dont know about the others, but I was accepted. No one commented on the color, but I really think as long as it is professional and comfortable, it’s ok.

I’m wearing a brown suit with a blue shirt to my interviews. I’ve only been to one so far, but all the other women wore black, while the men were a little more creative. I didn’t feel terribly out of place, but I rarely have the sense to. In fact, I felt more uncomfortable with the fact that I was 10 years older than the others than with my attire.

I only own pants suits, I only wear skirts if it’s hot and I plan to be outside all day. I am always cold and can’t tolerate skirts any other time. It was 9 degrees out on my way to my Pittsburgh interview - I don’t think any of the women were crazy enough to wear skirts.

I wore flats, but all the other women wore heels. Considering the amount of walking we did, I think I won.

Personally, I went for confident (i.e. comfortable) and professional more than I went for a specific style.

Heh. Glad you revived this perennial topic. I ended up getting a tan vested suit, a couple of pastel shirts (yellow, pink, and blue) and a couple of stand-out ties (gold, red). Thus, I was able to feel more personally expressive and classy compared to the almost uniformly funereal outfits worn by my colleagues. The interviewers for their part were dressed casually, sometimes in jeans, more often in relaxed business attire.

I’m still a long way off from interviews but honestly I’m going to wear a navy blue suit instead of a black one simply because I don’t feel like the 5000th person who looks like they’re going to a funeral.

I like the idea of wearing Navy in the Spring (well, we’re close enough now)

I think I’ll probably stick to black/brown for interviews I might get this Fall and tan/navy for interviews I might get next Spring.

I have the luxury of already having suits in these colors though. Plus, I plan to work on my fashion sewing skills (spending too much time on decorating sewing) once my classes are done in May, and maybe I’ll get around to making a really nice all-purpose outfit.

Yeah people who already have stuff to wear really do have a head’s up when you take into account how much it costs to buy a suit and get it tailored. Especially with me, I’m 5’5, so I don’t even want to think how much the tailoring will probably cost me.

Be lucky you already have your suit, lol. ;D

Try mensusa.com - I bought my tan 3-piece from them, took about 2 weeks, about $140 (!) plus another $50 or so to have it tailored.

Alternatively, you can buy off-the-rack jackets and pants from Macy’s and similar dept. stores for about $100/piece.

But mail order today blows away in-store prices except perhaps for deeply discounted outlets.

Well, the thing is I want a high quality suit, so. I was looking at Men’s Wearhouse and some of their stuff is pretty pricy, however, I’ve noticed that they do tend to overprice their stuff. Now if mensusa.com has some good brand names like Versini or whatever, I’ll definitely order from them.

Do not, I repeat do not go to an interview with casual slacks, a golf shirt and a rain coat on. I saw one hopeless fool dressed like that at Vanderbilt and thought–he truly has no clue!

FYI: I wore a blue suit, blue shirt and red/blue tie. You do not want to be a pallbearer at your own interview funeral.

I wore a tannish one in the fall and the interviewers were so relieved not to have to look at yet another pallbearer. One thing we have going for us as older men (I don’t think this is as much an issue for women), is looking at home and confident in officewear. Like someone who picks out his own clothes, without Mom’s intervention, and has occasion to wear a suit OUTSIDE of interview day. Nothing fashion-forward though, in dress, jewelry, hair-- that’s definitely a mistake.

• MattFugazi Said:
I wore a tannish one in the fall and the interviewers were so relieved not to have to look at yet another pallbearer. One thing we have going for us as older men (I don't think this is as much an issue for women), is looking at home and confident in officewear. Like someone who picks out his own clothes, without Mom's intervention, and has occasion to wear a suit OUTSIDE of interview day. Nothing fashion-forward though, in dress, jewelry, hair-- that's definitely a mistake.

This is so true. I did interview guys who looked like they were dressed up to go to church with Grandma. They just did not look comfortable in their clothes.... and of course not many college aged men have had much occasion to wear a suit, so it's true, they don't wear it well.

I also agree with the cautious "nothing fashion-forward." There are lots of threads on the various pre-med boards about guys and facial hair, earrings, etc. so I won't go there.

Mary

Do you think that this might be one reason why applicants that have done well enough to get interview invites find themselves not getting acceptances? I mean, are they starting out with a strike?

I definitely think that the interview stage might be an area where a nontrad has a better chance to shine…I mean, how many of us, have not gone through multiple job interviews, learning as we go along.

I completely believe that the interview makes or breaks you. I personally know of a 4.0gpa/42MCAT who was rejected at all but one school who interviewed him. He went on more than a dozen interviews. His attitude was atrocious as well as his attire. Well actually he was dressed to the gills. So his arrogance matched his attire.

I can’t agree that nontrads are more comfortable with the interview. I would hope they are but I think they might be a bit more comfortable but I’ve met some who were spastic. Since this is a career change and “everything” is riding on the outcome of the interview they came across as stiff or contrived or dare I say desperate. I wasn’t interviewing anyone. I was there to direct them to the appropriate building. The thing was I had a check off of what I thought about them…so remember…EVERYONE is watching you…

Not sure I would be comfortable in a tan suit but I’m also not looking to be a pallbearer. For some great advice on what to wear or even better a complete strategy on interview day, check out njbmd’s blog. There were some great nuggets there.