Introducing Myself

Hello all!

I wanted to introduce myself. I’m Stephanie.

I’m a RN who, during the course of applying for a NP program, decided to go the med. school route instead.

I plan to start taking the pre-med courses this summer, maybe starting with general chemistry and calculus.

Hi Stephanie! Welcome to OPM! As you’ll see, there are several other nurse -to- doctors here! Starting with general chem and calculus sound good. Be aware that many schools accept non-calc physics, and that is what is tested on MCAT’s, so calculus is not essential. I’d had it in the distant past and didn’t remember it, but figured it was on my transcript if “required”, and took non-calc physics in my post-bacc program.

Kate

Thank you, Kate

I’m looking at OSU and University of Cincinnati for med school. Of course, they require the calculus and I’ve only taken one course. I’ll have to audit that; i took it back in early 2007.

Stephanie -

Where did you see that Ohio State and UC require calculus? Calculus is not listed as a requirement on either of their websites (and were not requirements when I applied). Or are you referring to calculus-based physics? Again, neither of them require calculus-based physics. I took the recommended pre-med physics sequence at Ohio State and it most definitely was not calculus based. Ohio State recommends a year of calculus for it’s pre-med majors, but the medical school does not require it.

Ohio State does now require biochemistry and have talked about making anatomy a pre-req. They initially had it listed as a pre-req this year, but changed it after much debate (and complaints, I think).

If you have one course of calculus, you’re probably fine and don’t need to take any more calc. Very few medical schools require or even state that they “prefer” calc based physics.

I graduated from Ohio State and was accepted to UC, Wright State, University of Toledo and NEOUCOMM.

Interesting about the no-calculus requirement. That is a bit reassuring though; makes the coursework I need to complete seem a bit less daunting.

I did hear about bio-chemistry being a new requirement in upcoming years.

Here is what I’m seeing on the OSU website:

a year of

â—¦General chemistry with quantitative and qualitative analysis

a year of Organic chemistry with laboratory

a year of Physics with laboratory

a year of Biology

and a biochemistry and an anatomy course.

http://professional.osu.edu/med.asp#criteria

i do have to wonder if my nursing A&P would be considered sufficient or if I need to take an additional course.

I am seeing that Wright State requires a year of college level math, as well as a years worth of college level english.

I took math 150 and 151 at OSU; took English 111 and 200-something at columbus state…def not a years worth.

Definitely have a lot ahead of me before I can even attempt to start applying for medical school.

Hi Stephanie!!

I am a nurse practitioner who is in the throws of completing pre-reqs. Good luck on your journey!!!

If you took through 151, you’re good in math land. OSU recommends to pre-meds that they take through 151. The recommended physics series is 111, 112 and 113.

As for the anatomy, I don’t know . . . if you’re in the cbus area, I would probably take whatever anatomy course they are recommending. Keep in mind that you can take both anatomy and biochemistry during your application year - they just have to be completed prior to matriculation.

Becky, thank you.

Emergency, I live closer to Wright State and UD now. I’m thinking UD would be a good choice to start taking the anatomy and such at.

But that is good to know about the math. Need to brush up on it, that’s for sure.

Becky, thank you.

Emergency, I live closer to Wright State and UD now. I’m thinking UD would be a good choice to start taking the anatomy and such at.

But that is good to know about the math. Need to brush up on it, that’s for sure.

Yes, you definitely need to make sure your math skills are up to par for both chemistry and physics. A strong grasp of trig is necessary for physics. People also really underestimate how much general chemistry is all about the math.

I remember the gen. chemistry and math stuff. No fun at all. I enjoyed the math portion much more.