Introduction and Questions (mainly post-bac related)

Meet the newest of your crazed brethren! I’m an almost 32 year-old male, single and no kids, beginning to explore the insane idea of switching careers and dedicating at least the next decade or so of my life to the pursuit of a medical degree. I’ve been reading the posts on the board and find this place to be an invaluable resource. Thanks for your dedication to answering others’ questions, and congrats to all of those who have taken the journey and are succeeding; you’re an inspiration to the rest of us who are still on the fence!

I have a bachelors (2000) and masters (2002) in materials science and engineering from Brown. The dream entering college, however, was to become a doctor. I really enjoyed biology in high school. Before my senior year, the curriculum expanded to include an elective in anatomy and physiology. Naturally, I took this class, which only seemed to enhance my interest in pursuing medicine. Through the course of thinking about what I might choose as a major in college, I learned about the field of biomedical engineering (BME). This seemed like a perfect fit for my strong interest in biology/medicine and math, as well as a natural way to complete the pre-med requirements, since most of them would likely fall within the BME curriculum. So, with the master plan in place, I applied to colleges with BME programs.

I chose Brown, but to my surprise when I arrived on campus, I learned Brown was beginning to phase out its BME program. (It’s become such a hot field that it has since been revived.) Also, it turned out that it wasn’t as established a program as I had imagined. I still had the opportunity to pursue a BME degree, but given the circumstances, it didn’t seem like a good idea to me to take that path…

So what happened? Not unlike the experiences of many freshmen, I suppose, the adjustment to college proved to be challenging. I was finding the workload a bit of a struggle (but in hindsight it was probably a case of little-fish-in-a-big-pond syndrome more than anything else, if you know what I mean). Despite BME no longer being an option, I was planning to stay in the engineering track and still fulfill the pre-med requirements, but I soon began to feel that this might be too much to handle… My dad, himself an engineer, convinced me to ride out engineering for at least my freshman year. I listened, but still felt that something had to give, so it was out with the pre-med plan during the very first semester of college. It’s crazy to me now how blithely I shoved the dream of medicine aside, but when you’re young and naïve I suppose those are the kinds of decisions you make. (I’m fully aware that that youthful naivete also had its benefits at times, though. )

I stayed in the engineering track and fell into materials engineering. I’ve been working as a materials engineer in industry for almost 8 years now. The dissatisfaction with my career has steadily increased, while the frequency with which my thoughts return to medicine increases…and so here I am.

As I’m contemplating this daunting undertaking, a few questions have come to mind hat I hope the OPMs out there can try to answer for me:

1. I’m attracted to the idea of a formal post-bac program (Bryn Mawr, Goucher, Hopkins, UVA, etc.) to meet the pre-med requirements, especially since if I’m convinced that this is what I want to do, the application window for the next wave of these programs is soon opening up and I could potentially start next summer. From what I’ve read about these programs, however, I can’t determine whether I’d be eligible for them. They state they’re for candidates who have not completed the pre-med requirements, although some mention that candidates who have taken only a small portion of the required classes are considered. Additionally, it’s often mentioned that courses can be repeated if they haven’t been taken within the last five years. As an undergrad, I took Bio 1 and Chem 1 & Chem 2. I‘ve also had some physics through my engineering coursework, of course, but never took formal Phys 1 & Phys 2 type classes. In short, I feel that I would need to re-take all of the required courses given that I haven‘t seen the material in over 10 years. Would the post-bac programs along the lines of those previously mentioned consider someone in my situation for admission?

2. I took full advantage of Brown’s open curriculum (no required core courses), which is to say that I didn’t take a single English class in college. I now see that this could come back to haunt me, as many med schools seem to require 2 semesters of English according to the list I found here: http://www.haverford.edu/deans/prehealth/docum ents… Are schools flexible at all with this requirement? In other words, do they waive this requirement for an applicant who is an otherwise strong candidate? Should I be considering taking an English class ASAP?!

3. I’ve been volunteering at a hospital one night a week for 2-3 hours for the past three years. During this time, I’ve functioned in the same capacity as a book cart volunteer. As one might imagine, this consists of visiting patients and asking them if they’d like something to read from the hospital’s lending library. It’s something that I’ve really enjoyed and that has most certainly heightened my renewed interest in medicine, but I’m wondering how this experience will be looked upon in the application process. It hasn’t necessarily enhanced my knowledge of medicine per se, but what it has done is provide a whole lot of patient interaction, which I hope would be considered favorable. What are your thoughts?

I appreciate any input that you experienced OPMs can offer me in response to these questions and to either confirm or refute that I’m out of my mind to be contemplating this idea!

Thanks,

-Erik

Welcome to the site, Erik!

I could totally relate to you! I was a biomedical engineering major at URI (not too far from Brown) with the intent to go on to medical school when I was an undergrad. However, I didn’t care about engineering and soon dropped out. When I went back I was so obsessed with getting a degree (any degree) I opted to go the nursing route. Now, I’m going back to be a doctor…

Anyway, to help you with your questions, the best thing you can do is email the program director of the post-bacc programs you’re interested in. They are the best ones to tell you what your chances are and if your experience falls outside what they’re targeting.

Every medical school I have investigated required at least one semester of English (some 2 semesters). It may not hurt to take one since the MCAT has the verbal reasoning section and the writing sample.

Volunteering at a hospital is great, but maybe you could get some shadowing experience. I’m not sure if you’re still in the Providence area, but as a Brown alum, you could try to shadow a doctor at Rhode Island Hospital (I worked there for years, and they are so open to teaching). I would contact the medical school and see if thats a possibility. If you aren’t in Providence, find out if there’s a teaching hospital nearby that would let you shadow a doc. Try to get a recommendation from said doc while you’re at it!

I hope this has been helpful. Good luck on your journey!

• gretzky-99 Said:

As I’m contemplating this daunting undertaking, a few questions have come to mind hat I hope the OPMs out there can try to answer for me:

Rule 1: Take a Breath!

I hope we can all help here on OPM.

• gretzky-99 Said:

1. I’m attracted to the idea of a formal post-bac program (Bryn Mawr, Goucher, Hopkins, UVA, etc.) to meet the pre-med requirements, especially since if I’m convinced that this is what I want to do, the application window for the next wave of these programs is soon opening up and I could potentially start next summer. From what I’ve read about these programs, however, I can’t determine whether I’d be eligible for them. They state they’re for candidates who have not completed the pre-med requirements, although some mention that candidates who have taken only a small portion of the required classes are considered. Additionally, it’s often mentioned that courses can be repeated if they haven’t been taken within the last five years. As an undergrad, I took Bio 1 and Chem 1 & Chem 2. I‘ve also had some physics through my engineering coursework, of course, but never took formal Phys 1 & Phys 2 type classes. In short, I feel that I would need to re-take all of the required courses given that I haven‘t seen the material in over 10 years. Would the post-bac programs along the lines of those previously mentioned consider someone in my situation for admission?

As previously mentioned, you should contact the programs themselves for their opinion . You can get a complete list of formal post-baccs at Link to AAMC Post-Bacc Search

You should also may consider two other paths. First, in addition to the typical undergrad level post-bacc, there are about 50 Master Level Post-Bacc, some special medical masters, some traditional hard-core science. You can search for these on the AAMC link above

Second, to me, your background cries out for an informal post-bacc (ie, on your own at a local school). You should look into the local 4 year schools and see what possibilities are for non-matriculated students. You don't have to worry about what you have or have not taken previously

• gretzky-99 Said:

2. I took full advantage of Brown’s open curriculum (no required core courses), which is to say that I didn’t take a single English class in college. I now see that this could come back to haunt me, as many med schools seem to require 2 semesters of English according to the list I found here: http://www.haverford.edu/deans/prehealth/docum ents... Are schools flexible at all with this requirement? In other words, do they waive this requirement for an applicant who is an otherwise strong candidate? Should I be considering taking an English class ASAP?!

Rule 1: Take a Breath! (yeah, you will hear me say that alot). While you might be able to get it waived, instead of gambling, you need english. But you don't need to rush out and take it with an mindset of a fire sale! This journey is a marathon and not a sprint. I would suggest you see the local school and take a few courses. Pick something you like in literature.

• gretzky-99 Said:

3. I’ve been volunteering at a hospital one night a week for 2-3 hours for the past three years. During this time, I’ve functioned in the same capacity as a book cart volunteer. As one might imagine, this consists of visiting patients and asking them if they’d like something to read from the hospital’s lending library. It’s something that I’ve really enjoyed and that has most certainly heightened my renewed interest in medicine, but I’m wondering how this experience will be looked upon in the application process. It hasn’t necessarily enhanced my knowledge of medicine per se, but what it has done is provide a whole lot of patient interaction, which I hope would be considered favorable. What are your thoughts?

You have shown continued commitment for sticking with something 2 or 3 hours a week for 3 years. You may want to supplement this with other experience, perhaps in a different area of the hospital or a regular shadowing of a doctor. Keep a journey of your experience for material for your application narrative as well as for LOR requests.

• gretzky-99 Said:

I appreciate any input that you experienced OPMs can offer me in response to these questions and to either confirm or refute that I’m out of my mind to be contemplating this idea!

I will not refute that you are out of your mind. We all are. This is a long hard journey, full of stress, financial burden, and dealing with literally life and death. But I would argue it is less insane than getting up every morning to a job you hate, day after day, while repressing the dreams of doing some more meaningful with your life.

Hi Erik!

Well, I took UVA’s post-bacc. They certainly want you to retake the courses if they are 10 or more years old and you feel you need the refreshing. Inorganic Chem I and II would be ok to be that old if you retained a lot of the info, but if you feel you need to repeat it prior to Org. Chem (I certainly did!), that’s fine.

I encourage you to call and talk with the dean of the various post-bacc programs you are considering. That’s how I found out I was fine taking UVA’s, even though I had already had Bio I and II, Inorganic Chem I and II, Organic I, and Physics I. It was alll 20-some years ago so I did them all over.

Some students who could skip, say, Inorganic Chem, took a needed English or Statistics or Biochem course then. Others took the classes needed for MCAT (the core premed classes) and any other deficiencies (math, english, whatever) during their “glide” year - but some programs won’t let you apply without the english prereqs so check that out as well. The dean or admissions director of the post-bac programs will probably be able to give you a good idea of that as well.

I thought my program was invaluable in my successful application to med school.

Best wishes!!

Kate

Hi everyone,

I came across this website as I was researching information about non-traditional med students. I believe it’s a great tool for information, interaction and support!

I have a few questions which I hope any of you guys can help me with, but first I want to wish Erik the best of luck and encourage him to go forward! I’m 33, I’m not a US citizen nor I live in the US, I have a B.A. in Advertising & Marketing and an M.A. in Media Studies/Advertising Specialty, as well as around 10 years of practice as a strategic planner; so as I’m considering making a radical career change and going for the MD obviously I need a major preparation for med school due to my “humanities” background. What should I do to prepare myself for med school and eventually get into a decent institution? should I consider a B.S. in biology for instance, or would a B.S. in chemistry be better? actually do I have to go for another B.A. or B.S., can’t I just take the pre-med courses in another way that is more time effecient such as having intensive courses strictly concentrated on the pre-med requirements, if so where can I take those? what other factors would maximize my chances of passing the MCAT and eventually getting accepted in med school?

Any other piece of information would be appreciated guys!

Keep up!

Hi FRER,

Welcome to OPM! You will find much valuable information here. Do you a search for the questions you have and likely there will already be a post that answers your questions.

On another note, I would suggest that you start your own thread rather than using another users. This keep their thread from getting diluted/hijacked.

Ben

Hi Ben,

Thanks for the feedback!

I will certainly do as you’ve recommended.

Best,