Introduction

Hi all. I’m 44, and a vocational nurse finishing up a B.S. degree. Next year, I’d like to start a post-bacc premed program. I’ve heard that med schools frown on nurses making the leap into medicine. Can anyone shed light on this? Also, I’m open to any advice about the journey. My interest is in osteopathic medicine(DO). I live in California.

Thanks!

I wouldn’t say they frown on nurses making the leap. But I wouldn’t expect being a nurse to give you extra points in the selection or interview process either. Mainly, it’s important to demonstrate your ability - your grades in the science prereqs, and MCAT’s give you an opportunity to do this. Nursing experience can give you a richer narrative regarding you reasons for going to medicine and your understanding of what being a physician is all about.

Kate

I certainly concur with Kate429 on this

I think the issue, or at least the perception that the premeds have, is more that jumping right from nursing degree into medical school application might make an adcom wonder on the commitment to being a doctor. As always, it really depends on your background and narrative.

For example, there is a difference between say a 21 junior in a nursing program who decides to take the MCAT and apply to medical school before even getting a BSN and a 45 y/o who may have spent many years in medical settings while working towards a BSN part time and goes for post bacc.

In any case, you can’t change where you are now so wondering if it make your chances or worse are moot. Go to post-bacc, do well on MCAT, write great personal statement, have a smashing interview and you’ll have a damn good shot at being a doc.

Let me also add my perception that nurses going into medicine seem to gravitate more towards osteopathic medicine.

For myself it was a philosophical fit due to the emphasis on retaining touch as a diagnostic and therapeutic modality, and the holistic and preventative approach to healthcare (although allopathic schools are advocating a more holistic approach as well).

I’d suggest shadowing a DO at your earliest opportunity, and also perhaps visiting an osteopathic medical school if there is one near you.

Kate