Just to say, it's definitely doable

Hi all.
Long time ago, I embarked on the journey many of you are contemplating. At some point, I was contributing daily on this forum while gathering info and sharing the bit I knew. I started my premed Journey is 2009. I am now finishing my radiology residency and have found a job starting next year. The bottom line is that anything is possible. So Just make it happen!

For fun this is the link to my first post on this forum (dated Dec 4, 2009)…

1 Like

this is inspiring. so now you’re 44 and beginning a new life.
I’m in a similar situation. Won’t apply until 38, and probably finish at 45.
Congrats on finishing residency and getting a job.
I was surprised to read that a biology teacher had to go prove they could take biology courses lol

Hi monergist.
Thank you for the note. Actually I am 46 and will finish when I am 47! Radiology is not the shortest specialty…
Good luck to you.

1 Like

@redo-it-all Thanks for posting this. I am also a PhD (molecular track) and, after many wonderful experiences I am applying to med school. I just joined this forum today. Is there a private messaging place here where we can connect? I’d love to get some advice from someone with what sounds like a very similar background.

Hi WillowBay
Sure, I would be happy to help whenever I can.
Make sure to search the forum for my posts, where you can already glean a lot of info.
That said, if you want to connect privately, my email is m.errami@gmail.com

In any event, I wish you the best of luck. All I can say is that if you want to do it, then you can. If I did, so can you!

So, now you are an MD-PhD! I, too, want to do a PhD, but in a social science field. But I’m already much older than you. We will have to see.

Your story is really inspiring. I’m a 39 year old female pharmacist who got her undergraduate degree and postgraduate Diploma abroad ( over 12 year ) and I want to change careers to become a physician. I am trying to gather as much information as possible. I was wondering if you could tell me what route you took to get into med school. And is it better to write the Mcat first before going back to get the pre requisite courses done before applying to the med school s. Once again thank you so much for sharing your encouraging story.

Hello ma’am. Thank you so much for sharing your story. I am currently exploring my options on how to get into Med school in the US. Like you, I had both my undergraduate and postgraduate degrees outside the US. I have been practicing as a pharmacist in the US now for 5 years so I’ve got clinical experience. My question for you is did you have to get another bachelors degree in a US university before you were able to apply to Medical schools or did you just take the pre-requisites required by US med schools which from my research must be at least 1 year. I just got accepted into Georgia State University for a post-baccalaureate and my current plan is to take all the pre-reqs and hopefully finish with a strong GPA then take the MCAT. I’m just unsure if going this route will even get my future application looked at. Your advice will be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much

This is amazing. Im 30 years and wouldn’t matriculate until I’m 32 (assuming I get in first try) and these stories make me feel A LOT better and more hopeful. Congratulations Dr.!

Take the prerequisite courses first as Dr. Gray suggests. They are essentially what’s on the MCAT and by studying over a semester the material in your classes you are in a way studying for the MCAT too.