Mentor - Mentee OlPreMed

I completely agree Kimberly!

I’m a 1st year medical student. I’d be willing to help those with questions as best I can. I do have a busy schedule while school is in session so there could be delays in my responses at times. As with MD2B2010, I also tend not to sugar coat things.

i could use some help as well…it would be nice to know i am not alone

i am in the chicago area

I think this is an excellent idea! The beginning of any journey is always difficult and a bit confusing but to have a friend, a mentor always help! Someone you can rely on for difficult questions and someone who can guide you on the right path. Although I am just at the beginning stage, I know I would love to have mentors who could guide me through my journey! Therefore, someday allowing me the opportunity to return that very favor and mentor someone else! So, it is a win-win situation for everyone.

Has the mentee/mentor process started yet? I would be very interested in this.

by the way…I am new to this site.

As someone who is just starting down the road to being an “Old Pre-Med” student and who spent seven years building a mentoring program within a small non-profit I love this idea.

Also, don’t discount the power of peer mentoring. People at a shared point in a process often can provide a lot of support, insight and guidance. In addition the fact that nearly everyone here is moving towards medicine after already living their lives and having all sorts of experiences likely creates a wide variety of resources to draw from.

I see there haven’t been any responses since June, however I would like to express that I think this would be a great idea! Sign me up!

Actually, after reading the thread…what is the status of this idea?

I don’t know if it will ever be implemented despite the fact that many would like to see this idea come to life.

I hope we’ll see something happening because I have my personal statement that has been desperately waiting to be read and criticized.

We ll see.

Is someone willing to volunteer to help put this together? It is something that can certainly go on your application.

I know I have the computer skills to do so. But with a part-time job, 3 classes this semester and 2 kids, I can’t even mow my lawn right now.

I would love to do it but don’t see how I could.

Looks like it’s been quiet for awhile on this thread. I’m a new member, MD, boarded in family medicine, practicing in Augusta, GA. Started med school at 43 and finished residency 2 months after I turned 50. There are a lot of us non-trads out here, so I will try to get some of my colleagues involved too. I’ll continue checking this forum as well as others, and try to answer any questions, or steer you to someone who can.

Welcome aboard, it is always great to some information from those who have traveled this road in their 40’s or at a more advanced age. Please, can you share some more information with us? What was your background before medical school? Did you get accepted first year you applied to med school? Did you get accepted into you # 1 choice of school? If not how many schools you applied to and how many acceptance letter you recieved? Pitfalls to avoid in the aplication process ect.

• Idalyn Said:
Welcome aboard, it is always great to some information from those who have traveled this road in their 40's or at a more advanced age. Please, can you share some more information with us? What was your background before medical school? Did you get accepted first year you applied to med school? Did you get accepted into you # 1 choice of school? If not how many schools you applied to and how many acceptance letter you recieved? Pitfalls to avoid in the aplication process ect.

OK, more information. I'm still trying to navigate these forums, and my earlier attempt to reply seems to have disappeared into cyberspace, so if the same info shows up somewhere else, my apologies!

My previous career was in print and publishing, first as an art director and then in mgmt the last 10 years. When I started post-bacc in 2000, I took a less demanding (and less $$) position which afforded some schedule flexibility and no travel. Right before I started post-bacc, I hired a math tutor to refresh algebra and trig, which I had not taken since high school. I had absolutely no college-level science (majored in art of all things...), so post-bacc was from the ground up. In addition to required science, I also squeezed in biochem, micro and an intro to cell biology (audited the last out of fear of a notorious professor who was known to dash the dreams of bio majors). Course load was 2 classes with labs per semester. I also took a Kaplan course in winter 2001, took the MCAT in the spring. At test time, I was still finishing up the pre-reqs with last semesters of physics and organic. I don't think this timing had a bad impact on my MCAT score. I'll be happy to share details of the schedule with anyone who's interested.

The application and interview process was mercifully quick and straightforward. My post-bacc coursework was all done at University of GA in Athens, GA. There was no formal post-bacc pre-med program, but the pre-med advisor was pretty savvy, and convinced me that if I wanted to give Medical College of GA a shot, he thought I would be competitive. I rolled the dice and applied only to MCG as an early decision candidate. I interviewed in August '01, was accepted that fall for the following year's class.

At 43 I was the oldest in my class, but not by much. Our non-trad ranks that year included a German teacher, an accountant, a chemical engineer, a biomedical researcher, an actress, a Navy submariner, a paramedic and a nurse.

Pitfalls to avoid in the application process: I guess the best advice I could offer is plan your work and work your plan. Your previous GPA will probably not be taken into account, but your post-bacc grades will be scrutinized. Prepare well for the MCAT, with the goal of taking it only once. Multiple poor showings prior to a good score won't necessarily be a deal killer, but it will red-flag you and you'll have to answer for it in the interviews. I highly recommend taking the MCAT in the spring a year before you plan to matriculate. This will give you time for a second attempt if you need it, or time to chill if you don't.

Consider doing an early decision application if you have your heart set on a particular school. Contrary to popular belief, you will have time to get in applications and interview elsewhere if you're not accepted. On the day I interviewed, there were 8 other candidates, including another non-trad, and we were ALL accepted.

As someone who is now on the other side of the fence, reviewing student and resident applications, I can't overemphasize the importance of your personal statement. It is never too early to start working on it. You don't need to write a manifesto, but you at least need to address these: why medicine, why now, what have you done in the interim, and what are your plans after med school and residency. If you have any interest in primary care, raise your hand now. We need you.

As for the interview, try not to sweat it too much (easier said than done). Believe me, if you are in your 30s, 40s or even 50s, and you've made it this far, you already have the interviewer's respect and attention. You may find that this feels more like a recruitment than an interview.

Be prepared to answer honestly for any inconsistencies, and try to avoid lame excuses. For instance, after acing every other pre-req, I had a big, fat C in organic II. If it wasn't for the curve, I wouldn't have passed the final. I lost a lot of sleep wondering how this was going to go in the interview. I was asked about it by one interviewer, who then kind of shrugged it off when my honest answer was "I just didn't get it." As a non-trad, your interviews will likely be much different than your 22 year old future colleagues'. You'll be asked more about your life experience, and I can almost guarantee you won't be pimped on the Kreb's cycle. The interviewer is going to want to know what makes you tick and how you arrived at this point, so be prepared to talk about it...a lot...with several different people.

OK, that's probably enough for now. Again, I'm open to any questions about pre-med, med school, residency, family issues, whatever. I had a tremendous amount of support on the non-trad highway, and now I feel it's payback time. If some of the more tech-savvy members can show me how, I'll try to set up a way to get in touch for mentoring.
  • gabelerman Said:
Is someone willing to volunteer to help put this together?

• jmdmd Said:
...If some of the more tech-savvy members can show me how, I'll try to set up a way to get in touch for mentoring.

Gabe and JMD,

I'll volunteer to set something up on this. How, what, etc are details I don't have in my head at this point, but I'm willing to give it a shot, and spend a few hours a week on it. I'm sure we can come up with some form of structure where everyone's time is spent well.

Guys

thanks for keeping the thread alive. I feel a bit bad because I coined the idea and am absolutely unable to do anything on it right now.

I have been thinking a lot about it, and would love to find time to help. So if anything is happening please let me know.

Thank you very much for sharing. I wish you will be able to proof read my personal statement in a year from now, when i am preparing to apply.

jmdmd,

I can’t thank you enough for your post.

Your background is similar. I will be completing my BSN in August 2011. I have a few additional questions to take in order to be ready for the Spring 2012 MCATs. Your story was very inspirational. I am working on my personal statement and once completed, would you mind taking a look and providing me with some feedback?

This is a great idea. I can use a lot of help. I get so nervous of my own decisions and actions now-a-days!