MS in PA studies versus a new BS/BA when postbac is not an option

Hello, everyone! Thank you all for this amazing website!

I would like to ask you for advice on the following dilemma that I have: I have a Masters Degree in Linguistics from Moscow University( I am from Russia) During my studies in Moscow, I came to the US and studied here for 3 years and took a variety of classes, including biology 1, chem1 and astronomy 1(I also got married and had a child).I loved sciences, did well in them ,and regretted of not committing to the medical field when I was younger. But in Russia, one’s career path is determined at 18 when you enter a college. Going into the medical field after 25 is unheard of! So, driven by fear and insecurities, I went back to Russia to finish my Masters. My husband worked abroad then and it allowed us stay together. Now we are back to the US and settled in Austin, TX. At 32 y.o. I am considering the med school. I contacted a few med schools in Texas and they said that they do not accept foreign degrees and would need 90 credits from any American colleges(BS/BA is not mandatory). I have about 70 now and with only a few basic science courses. I think it might not be competitive enough compared to the applicants with finished degrees. There are no Post-Bac programs in Austin, but some Masters Program in Physician Assistant studies in Texas do accept foreign degrees…

Do you think that I should redo my BS/BA or should I apply for Masters in PA studies?

Pre-requisites for MD and PA programs are slightly different. So far I have been taking premed classes at local cc and got all A’s in Physics 1, Bio1, ChemII and Org Chem 1. I also have 130 volunteering hours at the local hospital here in Austin and I have been working as a patient sitter for a year at one of the Austin hospitals as well. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated! Thank you !

Gala - that sounds like an EXCELLENT background for medical school here. Don’t fall into the trap of talking yourself out of it upfront! Having a finished degree is not so crucial as you think. Although they don’t accept foreign degrees, that doesn’t mean they don’t recognize that you have completed them. Looks like you have the rest of physics, Bio and Organic Chem to take. The A’s so far are GREAT! So are the volunteering hours …I would keep that up.

You don’t need a formal post-bacc. If it is possible for you to take your remaining courses at a 4-year college that WOULD help make you more competitive. Having one or more letters of recommendation from the faculty (at least one from a science professor) is important. Sit down front, ask questions

A 4-year college will also have premed advisors. However at some schools these are less helpful than at others. One strategy folks have used is enrolling as a transfer degree-seeking student. Get the usual “junior year” medical school advising and assistance in applying. Then apply. You need not finish your degree. If, however, you want to take some upper level bio courses, or biochemistry during the year after applying (the “glide year”) that could be valuable to you - not a necessity.

I think you are well placed thus far to be a competitive candidate, as long as you complete the 90 hours (a common requirement)

Kate

• Kate429 Said:
Gala - that sounds like an EXCELLENT background for medical school here. Don't fall into the trap of talking yourself out of it upfront! Having a finished degree is not so crucial as you think. Although they don't accept foreign degrees, that doesn't mean they don't recognize that you have completed them. Looks like you have the rest of physics, Bio and Organic Chem to take. The A's so far are GREAT! So are the volunteering hours ...I would keep that up.

You don't need a formal post-bacc. If it is possible for you to take your remaining courses at a 4-year college that WOULD help make you more competitive. Having one or more letters of recommendation from the faculty (at least one from a science professor) is important. Sit down front, ask questions

A 4-year college will also have premed advisors. However at some schools these are less helpful than at others. One strategy folks have used is enrolling as a transfer degree-seeking student. Get the usual "junior year" medical school advising and assistance in applying. Then apply. You need not finish your degree. If, however, you want to take some upper level bio courses, or biochemistry during the year after applying (the "glide year") that could be valuable to you - not a necessity.

I think you are well placed thus far to be a competitive candidate, as long as you complete the 90 hours (a common requirement)

Kate

I concur strongly with Kate on this. Informal post-bacc is the way to go.

Additionally, do not think that the MS/PA will be helpful if you decide you want an MD/DO. It will likely hurt.

The question of MD/DO or PA/NP for nontrads and oldpremeds should be decided on the impact/length of training, and most importantly, what do you really want to do in medicine.

I have met many younger students, certainly extremely well qualified for MD/DO who have chosen the PA route do to shorter training, less cost and loan burden, quicker path to full time employment and income, and less impact on family and relationships.

However, their most important considerations have been the long-term business side of being a doctor, the desire to primarily a clinician, and less desire to be "the boss" as one put it.

Dear Kate! Thank you for your encouragement and reassurance.

Happy Winter Holidays to you and everybody on this forum!

Regarding the 4 year school comment, due to various circumstances I will finish my Org II, Bio II and Physic II at cc but since Texas med schools require one semester of biochemistry, I am transferring to University of Texas to take biochemistry, genetics and additional science classes there.

I also think that good MCAT score would be essential in my circumstances. Since English is my second language, it will be challenging but I am taking 2011 summer off to study for the MCAT . By the way, I am not sure if it has been discussed but I found SN2 home study plan more thorough in comparison to Examcrackers home study plan. The latter one is more of the review. Not sure where I am supposed to put the link but the study plan can be found here: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=8…

Thank you again! And I will keep you posted on my progress!!!

Dear Richard!

Thank for your response!

The consideration of the business side in the medical field is quite important in America, I guess. It is definitely a different approach than what we have in Russia ( there is low liability in Russia, free med educations etc. but there are positives and negatives to those systems too), so after your response I am considering shadowing both PA and MD to be clear about my decision. I do crave more for a patient care rather than a desire to run my own business but since I still travel to Russia frequently, PA degree is not acceptable there( DOs are also misunderstood there) So MD degree would just give a little more choice in case I would have to move to Russia for some time( though it a small possibility).

Well, MCAT will also show me where I stand academically…

Thank you for your input though! It is very helpful to have all your support on this forum!

Gala