MY MCAT SCORE IS POSTED NOW!!!!!

Congratulations! That’s a great score! Are you applying this year? If so, I bet you’ll start getting interviews soon. Good luck!
Gina

Great Job, Matt!
My MCAT score was posted, too…looks like I’ll be taking it a second time in April, 2006…don’t ask…

Yes I’m applying as we speak, and I’m really happy with my mcat. It’s definitely incentive to get off my butt and finish secondaries. What an expensive morass this secondary process is

Matt,
what did you use to review for the MCAT?

Princeton Review. If you are in New York City, I highly recommend the teaching at the Downtown SoHo office.
For me, I had to do it in the summer. I was really unable to prepare for MCAT at all when classes were in session.
It was extremely intensive, five nights a week, three hours a night of class and a practice exam every weekend. But it was all I did this summer (besides of course working full time).
My private method is that I converted Princeton Review’s science materials into my own notes. I drew a vertical line down the middle of the page and wrote major ideas along the left and finer points on the right. Then I folded the paper in half and quizzed myself on facts and definitions and physics formulae like that.
Also, I did every passage in their Science Workbook, which is a fantastic text.

WOW!!!
That’s all I can say!!!
So it’s time to get ready for all the interviews!!!

I was disappointed in my score. No need to go into details but I did speak to my top choice and they gave me advice on my next move.
The PS killed me. The good news is that since it was PS and not verbal reasoning that had the lower score, I can really improve on it by really learning the material better.
Still in shock so I think I will regoup for a little while.

Hang in there, kiddo. You will find your way. Different choices in schools, regrouping and studying differently, and other options I haven’t thought of are all open to you. If you decide on a path that means an extra year, promise yourself you’ll also do something fun with that year, something you’ll remember.
I have faith in you.
Hugs!

Quote:

I was disappointed in my score. No need to go into details but I did speak to my top choice and they gave me advice on my next move.

I was starting to think I was the only nontrad not too pleased with their score. However,I did improve although not to the “30” I was shooting for. Fortunately, many of the schools out of reach in April 2005 and April 2004 are now in reach thanks to August 2005!
So, hang in there and if you need to retake, just sign up, study harder, and do it!!! I took this test 3X in 1.5 years and while it sucked big time, I’m fairly happy with the results! Good luck!!

Way to go! Did you do anything special to study for it? Your writing score is awesome!

I’m afraid i don’t have a lot of tips about that. I didn’t study for the verbal section and writing section because I was so frantic about blowing the science. I have been working as a journalist, editor, translator for seven years so I was hoping that my professional skills would put me over the hump on the English-related stuff.
Oh, but everybody has to get someone to explain the MCAT’s bizarre (bizarrely dumb) essay-writing formula: you can probably get this out of a guide book. You would NEVER guess it yourself.

I hear you! I’m just curious how those that do well prepare. Seems a lot don’t do anything formally.

I would describe the MCAT essay format thusly: High School Freshman Essay.
I did a semi-formal approach. I bought just the EK books and CDs, got their recommended study schedule, and did what it said. I did not put in extra time on the optional practice question books, or get all excited with flash cards for important facts. I would say someone who wants to get the big, big scores (ca. 40+ like efex did) probably ought to do that stuff, too.
One thing I was told here, and I did it, was to take the practice exam one day, and the next day go over EVERY SINGLE QUESTION. You need to know not just what the right answer was, and why you got a question wrong, but also why you got a question right.

Although I was not proud of my overall score on the MCAT, I did do very well on the writing section, R. And this is consistent as my previous WS scores are P and S.
What I did to prepare for the WS was to read different magazines such as US News and World Report, Time, Newsweek, etc.
In order to get a good score on the WS, you need to be able to present your argument and then defend it. How would you defend it, by bringing about facts from your readings.
After reading the topic of the WS, think about some facts you read. Try to see how it fits with your topic. You will see that once you found the points you want to present, the rest will just fall into place.
go to the AAMC website and get the WS topic from the test. Print it out and then go and read the NY Times, Wall St. Journal, etc and see if there are any articles that you can read that would help you with the statement being provided.