My take on med school admission, everything I've learned the past few

I went through the application process and was accepted, during the seemingly never ending time during my gap year I have had a lot of time to think this over and wanted to share my thoughts. Comments are welcome.

The biggest fear of any medical school admissions board is admitting applicants that do not finish their studies. Many schools do not accept transfers and a student dropping out is a six figure loss for the school.

This is why there are numerous hurdles to entering medical school but jumping significantly above the hurdle is of less gain to the applicant.

Why would students drop out?

-Decide medicine is not for them (this is why you volunteer but volunteering significantly more than enough to demonstrate that you certainly want to be a doctor is not terribly important, from an admissions perspective anyway)

-Get overwhelmed with the classes (MCAT and GPA) *note they are looking for students smart enough and hard working enough not to get overwhelmed. Showing you are extremely smart but not hardworking is bad and so is extremely hardworking but not smart, you need both.

-Do something terribly unethical or breakdown (background check, LORs, as well as plenty of space on your application to shoot yourself in the foot if you are mentally unstable)

*I also want to note that finding exceptions to the rule is not most ADCOM member’s strong point. If you received poor grades or a low MCAT most ADCOM members don’t want to dive deep into an application to find out exactly why. There are a ton of people with fine grades and MCATs and it is their kids piano recital today so they need to be out of the office by 6pm.

If you can’t pass all these hurdles you need to be an absolute superstar for another reason for them to even consider you (famous parents, EXTREMELY strong ties to the school, published in Nature, etc).

Now AFTER these hurdles schools look for people they think would be good for their school.

What does this mean?

State Schools-They are handed criteria about what to accept. They want to fulfill the criteria as fast and painlessly as possible. EARLY APPS = HUGE. They want people who have jumped over the hurdles that are from the state. Note the undergraduate school you attended is generally not one of the hurdles and you are better off going to a easy school to get a high GPA (it won’t hurt your MCAT as the MCAT really only tests stuff that is taught universally)

fantasy schools-They want someone who is going to do something huge and has a long and proven history of doing great things. 3000 hours of volunteering won’t help even close to as much as working to start a free clinic or getting funding to help fellow Native American or African American people in your home town or helping to make a lab you worked in get famous. Numbers are important as they have to keep their standard up but Harvard is going to be Harvard whether their MSAR GPA avg is 3.9 or 3.75, they want people who will do something amazing. You should be able to present a clear picture of specifically what you want to do with your degree supported by experiences and accomplishments in your application. Someone who is extraordinarily strong in research or humanism is better than someone with a 4.0 and a 40 that with only cookie cutter ECs and research.

Private low and mid-tier schools-They want someone who will help to get them more prestige. This can be in the form of high MCAT and GPA for the MSAR or research. I get the feeling MCAT is going to get more heavily weighted in the near future as USMLE step 1 by school is becoming public data and MCAT is heavily correlated to that (In my opinion this data becoming public is a HUGE step in the wrong direction for admitting and ultimately training people who will be good doctors).

Religious schools-Just like private low and mid-tier schools but with some generally not huge amount more emphasis on a history of helping people or religious affiliation.

AFTER ALL THIS

The matters of opinion come into play. Most adcom members don’t read personal statements but some do. Does your personal statement connect with them and make them want to like you and help you by offering you an interview/admission? Have you shown interest in the specific school? Do you come off as a likable and hardworking person who deserves admission in your LORs?

I hope this helps or at least generates some constructive discussion. This is what I wish someone told me when starting premed.

Thanks for sharing!!! This is exactly what i need to read as i prepare to apply. You just gave me enough information on how to frame my personal statement and “promote” myself to the adcom, especially during interviews. Granted, I have some barriers like my low cgpa 3.2 and unimpressive sGPA 3.4 which will probaly be around 3.5 after take pre-reqs, But. based on all the points you mentioned, along with a high MCAT score, i know i bring alot to the table,e.g. i design a proposed program at a large multi-system academic hospital that was approved with a 1/4 million budget and launched- that makes me a stronger candidate than someone with a 3.8,3.9 gpa.If i understand my target audience then i know exactly how to “sell” myself to them. This was a really good read!

• HeyEveryone Said:

The biggest fear of any medical school admissions board is admitting applicants that do not finish their studies.

This is why there are numerous hurdles to entering medical school but jumping significantly above the hurdle is of less gain to the applicant.

Do you come off as a likable and hardworking person who deserves admission in your LORs?

I hope this helps or at least generates some constructive discussion. This is what I wish someone told me when starting premed.

Very good information and thank you!!

I think you've helped me decide on my coursework for the upcoming terms...I "knew" but didn't think it made a difference if I finished my coursework prior to matriculation. Guess it really does!! Provided I get a miraculous "B" in physics I, I'm going to rearrange my schedule. (The physics prof from MIT OCW is now my new BFF).

About being likeable...what's not to like

Thanks for the skinny!!

My observation of the process is that where you attended college IS important depending on who you are. And this info applies AFTER you’ve passed the inital screen.

So as an example, if you’re a white applicant that attended Florida A&M University (an HBCU) and you talk about working in an underserved area, your undergrad college gives credibility to the fact that you’re not just telling an adcom what you think they want to hear. Your very likely to have experiences to support that goal. Similarily, if you’re a URM applicant that attended MIT for undergrad, the adcoms WILL, all things being equal, see that differently than if you attended an lower ranked school.

Bottom line is to earn the best grades you can at whatever school you attend with the understanding that there’s a reason that Ivy Undergrads typically attend Ivy Med schools. And it ain’t because their grades are “better”.

I also think it’s the case that grades are seen in the context of the school you attended. In other words, a 4.0 at community college doesn’t carry as much weight as a 4.0 at a top notch undergrad.

Finally, this info refers to my impressions of MD admissions only.

Having attended schools ranging in prestige from community college to Harvard I’d recommend that unless you want to attend a top 25 school, from a med school admissions standpoint I’d recommend that you attend an easier school and get a higher GPA than a tougher one and get a lower GPA. My post is pretty general and is just my opinion. I’ve had significant contact with people on med admissions boards but I’m just a student.

I should note too that for state schools I meant lower and mid tier state schools. UCSF, UCDavis, etc are another story.

In response to your White Florida A&M student example I’ll add that “You should be able to present a clear picture of specifically what you want to do with your degree supported by experiences and accomplishments in your application” is not just for Harvard. It is virtually necessary for top tier med schools but is very helpful for admission to most med schools.

You made some good points.

• HeyEveryone Said:
Having attended schools ranging in prestige from community college to Harvard I'd recommend that unless you want to attend a top 25 school, from a med school admissions standpoint I'd recommend that you attend an easier school and get a higher GPA than a tougher one and get a lower GPA. My post is pretty general and is just my opinion.

I've gleened some wonderful wisdom from the posts presented!!

Unfortunately, since I'm in probably the worst physics class in the world where the instructor writes all their problems down wrong yet expects us to get it right on the exam (my average is 63 and it's not for lack of trying), the book is dreadfully bad; doesn't explain a problem in any detail, the online HW sight tells me I'm wrong without showing me how to do the problem correctly and the TA is very rough around the edges, I HAVE to go to a CC for grade replacement.

I've found the CC's I've gone to are better in terms of quality of instructor. Perhaps they don't have to make the class impossible just to maintain some tier status.

Oh well...at least I can be a D.O.!! And the "BESTEST" D.O. this side of the world!!

Thanks for the widsom!! It helped me both decide what to do, where to volunteer and gave me a glimmer of hope

Leuschner -

Don’t be too “down” about the D.O. option. True, I picked it, but there are many times I’ve thought “thank God I go to a D.O. school”. Philisophically a much better fit for me

Kate

• Kate429 Said:
Leuschner -

Don't be too "down" about the D.O. option. True, I picked it, but there are many times I've thought "thank God I go to a D.O. school". Philisophically a much better fit for me

Kate

Hi Kate!! I'm really down about my physics. I really wanted to learn it but keep hitting roadblocks. I'm thankful I have the option to be a D.O.!!

I'm starting to think it's a better fit for me too, especially since I want primary care and want to change lifestyles, either as a pediatrician or a family doc.

Cheers!!

Cool. Lots of options if you want to go into primary care.

Will you be able to go to the OPM conference this year?

Kate

In a bad physics I situation? Two words: Nova Physics.

In a !really! bad Physics II situation? Three words: The Portable TA.

PM me.