Myriad Concerns

Greetings. So far the forums on this site have provided a great deal of thorough answers to several questions I’ve had while considering a Post-Bac program. At this point, I’m 99.9% sure that this is something that I absolutely want (nay, need) to do. I’ve slogged around in the non-profit world for the past three years raising money so other people can affect peoples’ lives, and that’s largely frustrating. It’s been a dream of mine to be a doctor since I was very young (Halloween costume almost every year) and I know now that I will be happiest helping people in medicine. I’ve been volunteering with a clinic and an international surgical enhancement program for a while now and I feel that now is the opportune time to get going on my pre-reqs. This past week I have begun to fill out applications to several programs and feel generally confident going forward.

But I digress, here are my concerns: When I was younger I made some poor decisions, failed to focus, and skipped class; as a result of this naivety and foolishness, my grades suffered dearly. I was eventually placed on academic probation my freshman year. Thankfully, I persevered, pulled myself together and graduated with a BA in History, however my overall GPA was a 2.7. Reading through the MSAR, I noticed that the median for overall and non-science GPA totals were largely in the 3.6-3.7 range. Even if I were to get a 4.0 in my Post-Bac studies–and I fully intend on putting forth the time and effort to–would I be able to get an interview, let alone admission to a medical school? Are the MSAR numbers just intimidating me? How much weight do admissions committees put on academic improvement? I find that these worries are making me a bit of an insomniac as I’m really at a crossroad. I know that I’m fully capable of doing well in my Post-Bac work, my MCAT, my apps, and my interviews; but would I absolutely have to perfect each one to guarantee admission?

Slow, deep breaths, right?

Welcome to OPM, you are among kindred spirits here. Let me start by telling you something that you already told yourself.

Slow down. Take a deep breath. and relax. This group is filled with people who, like you, did poorly in their earlier college careers and are trying to get into medical school. In fact, when I graduated from college in 1997 I did so with a B.S. in biotechnology and a 2.7 GPA. And now I am here 4 months from graduating from medical school. So yes, it can be done. But it will be an uphill battle.

If you do very well in your post-bacc then there should be no reason why you will not succeed. But, I must tell you that you have to slow down and take things once step at a time. There is a mantra on OPM that we like to keep telling people: This is a marathon and not a sprint. Start with the post-bacc first then worry about the next step.

Good luck and keep posting.

You ask how much weight admission committee’s put on academic improvement. There’s actually quite a range. Most schools will note if your performance now is greatly different from your performance initially in your baccalaureate program.

The fact that your degree is a BA in history is probably helpful, because you probably do not have a lot of science courses in there, so the prerequisites should make more of an impact in your science GPA, which is looked at more closely.

Bear in mind that different schools have different priorities. Most schools will look at the whole picture, although there are some programs that have a reputation as “numbers” schools, appearing to prioritize having a high median gpa or high average MCAT score.

A low academic gpa in the past is NOT an automatic disqualifier by any means. It’s important to demonstrate NOW that you are an effective learner and to prepare yourself as well as possible for your future career.

Best of luck!

Kate

• Kate429 Said:
Most schools will look at the whole picture, although there are some programs that have a reputation as "numbers" schools, appearing to prioritize having a high median gpa or high average MCAT score.

While true to some extent if and when you get to the point of actually applying, don't let average GPA's and MCATs scare you off from applying to a particular school if you have a sincere interest in it. Remember that the numbers are averages - most of a schools numbers in reality are clustered very close to the mean. That means a school could well have matriculants with averages significantly below the mean without dropping their averages too much.

I had an undergrad GPA of 2.78. I was accepted to five medical schools, including one that has pretty high GPA and MCAT averages. At least a couple of our other members have similar stories.

It won't be easy, but it can be done. Don't spend too much time on SDN reading the stories from the traditional pre-meds who are convinced that one B will ruin their application and that there is no way someone like us could ever get into medical school. A 2.7 would be a death knell for a traditional applicant - for a non-trad going back who shows a significant upward trend and improvement with strong LORs, ECs and MCAT, it's not.
  • Thereisnofolly Said:
I know that I'm fully capable of doing well in my Post-Bac work, my MCAT, my apps, and my interviews; but would I absolutely have to perfect each one to guarantee admission?

Slow, deep breaths, right?

Rule 1: Take a breath!

Rule 10: Beware of FUD: Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt

here, I will give you the only guarantee possible.

If you dont apply, you will absolutely, positively NOT get into medical school

If you do well in a post-bacc, get a good MCAT score, write a top-notch application, and have a great interview, you might, I said might, get into to medical school.

so your choice is not even try for your dream wondering if you would have been good enough, or are you going to try?

"Those Who Dare, Win" -British Special Air Services

Thanks for the insight and the words of wisdom. I know that I’m committed, but it’s nice to know that I’m certainly not the only one going through this process. I’m positive I will be using this resource throughout my studies, my applications, and so on, and would love to share my experiences with other non-trads. I’ll keep you updated with my progress, my trials and difficulties, and my successes. Thanks for being a great resource for those of us who are beginning this long journey.

PS. Great blog gabelerman.

Gabe and Rich have both given you excellent advice, which I concur with. :slight_smile:

Cheers,

Judy