Need a Residency Primer

I’m admittedly jumping the gun a bit here as I’m still a pre-med (I do have 2 interviews next month :D), but I’ve always been someone that wants to know as much about everything as I can.

I cannot for my life find a good source that really explains in depth how the residency matching process works, and how far in advance I want to prepare for getting into the type of residency that I think I want. So I’m hoping that someone with much more experience can explain some things for me.

From what I’ve been able to glean thus far, the elective clinical rotations during 4th year are generally used to “audition” at programs that you’d like to apply for residency at. Then you go through the actual match process which seems to not be that different from applying to medical school…having a central application service, LORs, personal statements, interviews, etc.

So here’s my situation: I’m applying exclusively to DO programs, and at present I think I want to go into Anesthesiology. There are 13 AOA Anesthesiology residency programs, and something like 120 ACGME ones…so it seems like a given that I should be taking the USMLE in addition to the COMLEX.

So here are some things I’m trying to find out:

• Will I be able to do "audition" rotations at MD programs for my 4th year electives?
  • I assume by 4th year I know for sure what I want to go into, can I (and is it a good idea) do all of my elective rotations in the same specialty but at different programs?
  • Do I want to apply to both match programs? I know the DO match is first, but if I match there am I precluded from accepting an MD program that I match into later?
  • What questions should I be asking in my interviews in this regard?
  • What kinds of things can I do in the pre-clinical years of med school to give me the best chance at getting into an Anesthesiology residency (assuming I don't change my mind)?

“From what I’ve been able to glean thus far, the elective clinical rotations during 4th year are generally used to “audition” at programs that you’d like to apply for residency at.”

Not necessarily-- some people use this strategy, but I matched well without doing any away rotations. Certain fields practically require these audition rotations, but I’m not sure whether anesthesiology is one of them.

“Then you go through the actual match process which seems to not be that different from applying to medical school…having a central application service, LORs, personal statements, interviews, etc.”

ERAS is indeed similar to AMCAS in all the ways you mention, and different in one important respect: you are contractually bound to attend the one and only residency where you match. When applying for med school. you may get acceptances from multiple med schools and have the luxury from choosing among them.

“So here’s my situation: I’m applying exclusively to DO programs, and at present I think I want to go into Anesthesiology.”

Is there a reason you are not applying to MD schools? THere are many more of them, and you really want to cast as wide a net as possible to gain that all important acceptance.

“Will I be able to do “audition” rotations at MD programs for my 4th year electives?”

It is not uncommon to see DOs on away rotations at MD schools, but it is crucial to have as high a USMLE Step 1 score as possible if you want these doors to open to you.

“I assume by 4th year I know for sure what I want to go into, can I (and is it a good idea) do all of my elective rotations in the same specialty but at different programs?”

Different medical schools will vary as to how many away rotations they will permit and still allow you to graduate. I don’t think it’s common that ALL your elective time can be spent away from your own school.

“Do I want to apply to both match programs? I know the DO match is first, but if I match there am I precluded from accepting an MD program that I match into later?”

I don’t know anything about this, but there are many DOs on the listserv who will.

“What questions should I be asking in my interviews in this regard?”

If you’re dead set on one and only one field ask about possible research mentors in that field and then start bugging to get in on the research EARLY.

“What kinds of things can I do in the pre-clinical years of med school to give me the best chance at getting into an Anesthesiology residency (assuming I don’t change my mind)?”

The silver standard is research that gets published.

The bronze standard is sky-high USMLE Step 1.

The gold standard is BOTH.

GOOD LUCK! Anything is possible.

Hi! Let me take on some of these.

So here are some things I’m trying to find out:

•Will I be able to do “audition” rotations at MD programs for my 4th year electives?

Absolutely You can do audition rotations at ACGME programs, AOA programs or dually accredited programs. However, since you are premed. the unified accreditation system should be up and running by the time you need to apply, so there should be only ONE match and all programs should be ACGME accredited, with DO’s being a part of the accrediting body and currently AOA programs being ACGME accredited.

•I assume by 4th year I know for sure what I want to go into, can I (and is it a good idea) do all of my elective rotations in the same specialty but at different programs?

It depends. Generally there is a “cap” on how many weeks you can do in the same specialty. However, Anesthesia can be an IM specialty or a Surgery specialty in some programs so you may be able to fudge it and get more rotations. 4 weeks is better than two - save the 4 week rotations for the programs you really seriously want to get into.

•Do I want to apply to both match programs? I know the DO match is first, but if I match there am I precluded from accepting an MD program that I match into later?

Yes, if accepted DO you are obligated to withdraw from the MD match. Applying for the match is a CONTRACT and you are obligated to go to whichever residency you match with - it’s not like applying to med school where AFTER they pick you, you still get to decide whether to take it. So…you rank the programs which you are willing to attend and your ranking gets MORE weight than the schools.

However, see above -probably only one match when you get around to it.

•What questions should I be asking in my interviews in this regard?

Ask how many of their graduationg class matched, and how many matched to their first choice, how many had to scramble. Also ask what specialties they matched into. Did some match into anesthesia?

•What kinds of things can I do in the pre-clinical years of med school to give me the best chance at getting into an Anesthesiology residency (assuming I don’t change my mind)?

Perhaps research is right up there —but high Step 1 scores are DEFINATELY up there. You also SHOULD do the USMLE as well. It would be great if you had a good class ranking - and this will be harder than you probably think. Every grade in med school will be important to this. First of all though, PASS

Leadership, such as in student government, is helpful. For AOA residencies, the ONLY extracurricular that gets reported on its own line item is if you were in Sigma Sigma Phi (a service honor society. You need many hours of community service/volunteering in school, a “B” average with no C’s, and to pass an interview process to get into this. But it will really help you in application. If you can get into Phi Kappa Alpha (all grade-based honor society) that’s also great but AOA programs (even if newly accredited by ACGME) will be looking at service highly.

Hope that helps!!

Recommend a book by Iverson on Getting Into Residency. Covers a lot of questions and good suggestions for what to do to impress while on your audition rotations.

Kate