Need encouragement

I just discovered this great site!

I have toyed with the idea of med school since high school but ended up with a BA in psychology and a Masters in Social Work. After working in behavioral health for 9 years decided that there is no time like now. So I enrolled in the local university to finish out my undergraduate prerequisites. Well needless to say my undergrad GPA is not great, and I am retaking a few classes for grade improvement, but I had a 4.0 in grad school. I have finished half of my first semester and am loving it! I have A’s all around. I often doubt that I have a chance in hell in getting in to an MD program due to the policy that retakes of classes are averaged together. I have really started targeting DO schools since the most recent retake is all that counts toward your GPA. I hear people bash DO’s all the time. In my 9 years in behavioral health I have worked with hundreds of doctors, many of the emergency physicians and psychiatrists. Of them I have worked with great MD’s and great DO’s as well as bad MD’s and DO’s. I also know that I often seek DO’s as primary providers for myself and family because they aren’t just going to give me a med to treat a symptoms and not the underlying. ANYWAY! It is great to see that I am not alone in this adventure, any feedback on my chances or things I can to to improve my chances of getting into med school would be great.

Thanks,

James

James – Welcome! It IS a great site. Read some of the members’ diaries for inspiration

Kate