Need Help Picking an Upper Division Elective

I realized today that I have one (maybe two) spots for where I have some liberty in picking an upper division elective. I want to pick classes that give me the most bang for my buck. Every medical school has the same list of recommended classes but I would like opinions from people who’ve been through or have had this answered before.

Already taken:

-Genetics

-Microbiology

-Intro to Pharmacology

Required upper divisions for my degree or med school:

-Anatomy 4cr

-Physiology 4cr

-Patho 3cr

-Biochemistry I 4cr

Classes I’m considering:

-Biochemistry II

-Molecular Cell Bio (one semester only - for bio majors)

-Molecular Bio I (first of a two semester sequence for biomed majors; dont think I can fit molec2 though)

-Neurobiology

-Immunology

-Medical Terminology

Can anyone/everyone suggest the top 3 from the last list that will help immensely in the first 2 years? I go to a university with a medical school so there are other classes I can take as well so feel free to play a wild-card!

Some med schools, like U of Mn, require biochem, so I would definitely take that. (I sure will)

I’d pick immunology out of that list. Really difficult, I thought, in med school without previous exposure. Maybe neurobiology - that was probably also up there for difficulty (within the short time frame that you generally have to absorb the vast quantities of info required in med school)

I’m answering based on my own experiences with these courses at my school, so YMMV.

Kate

I second the choice of immunology if you only have one spot to fill. I also thought it was really difficult in med school (mostly because of the brutal pace that Kate alluded to) and found myself wishing I had at least audited the undergrad class in the glide year. These are also concepts you want to make sure you grasp, as you WILL use them in practice.

• sadako12 Said:
Some med schools, like U of Mn, require biochem

That is incorrect. The U of MN does not require biochem.

Below is the copy/paste of the med school's pre-req site:

Required courses

Biology with lab

Biological sciences coursework with emphasis on general principles, cell biology and/or physiology

1 semester or 1 quarter

Chemistry with lab

General or Organic Chemistry

1 semester or 1 quarter

Life sciences (additional courses)

Biology, genetics, zoology, botany, parasitology, biochemistry, chemistry (general or organic, but must be in addition to the general or organic chemistry listed above), physics, etc. At least 2 must be upper-level courses.

4 semesters or 4 quarters

Humanities or social sciences

Humanities or social sciences upper-level course, with an intensive writing requirement.

1 semester or 1 quarter

Recommended courses

Biochemistry

Ethics

Genetics

Psychology

Statistics

Foreign language

Independent learning courses

Seminar-type courses involving small group discussions

Social and behavioral sciences and humanities
  • Adoc2be Said:
  • sadako12 Said:
Some med schools, like U of Mn, require biochem

That is incorrect. The U of MN does not require biochem.

Below is the copy/paste of the med school's pre-req site:

Required courses

Biology with lab

Biological sciences coursework with emphasis on general principles, cell biology and/or physiology

1 semester or 1 quarter

Chemistry with lab

General or Organic Chemistry

1 semester or 1 quarter

Life sciences (additional courses)

Biology, genetics, zoology, botany, parasitology, biochemistry, chemistry (general or organic, but must be in addition to the general or organic chemistry listed above), physics, etc. At least 2 must be upper-level courses.

4 semesters or 4 quarters

Humanities or social sciences

Humanities or social sciences upper-level course, with an intensive writing requirement.

1 semester or 1 quarter

Recommended courses

Biochemistry

Ethics

Genetics

Psychology

Statistics

Foreign language

Independent learning courses

Seminar-type courses involving small group discussions

Social and behavioral sciences and humanities

I must have remembered wrong then. I thought AMCAS said something about taking Biochem in leiu of Orgo II or something like that.

I have heard that it's useful for the MCAT though.