Need some HELP, please

Hi Everyone,

I came across this website and I’m really excited I did. I’ve been feeling so lost the last couple of years and I think finding you guys is a blessing.

Now for my questions and concerns. I’m a 28 year old mom, wife and pre-med student. I’ll be starting my Junior year this coming Fall. My concern is my Freshmen year I did really well, I had a 3.81. My second year I didn’t do so well at all. It has brought me down to a 3.30 GPA. I got a C in Bio I a BC in Bio II a B in Intro to Chem a C in Gen Chem I.

I want nothing more than to go to medical school, but now I’m questioning whether my GPA is high enough to accomplish that. If technically I’m supposed to apply to medical schools this coming year am I too late? What can I do to improve my chances? I’m volunteering at two hospitals right now.

I would love some feedback.

Thanks so much!

Fret not. You are actually in a stronger position than you think. If your overall is currently a 3.3, you can easily bring that up to a 3.5+ with retakes of the science courses you got a C in and a strong performance in the last two years of your undergrad. Some might even suggest that you don’t do retakes and just try to smash the rest of your classes to get your overall to above a 3.5.

28 isn’t old at all for a non trad. I turn 28 in 10 days and will be a summer quarter away from being done with 2 out of the 4 science prereqs.

Apply when you feel your application is at its strongest. This might be after you take the MCAT and after you finish your degree.

You are in good company here since there are many mothers who are going through the process or have already done so and are now practicing physicians.

What does it mean you want to apply ‘this coming year’? Do you want to matriculate in 2010 or in 2011. If you want to start next summer, your application should be in now. If you want to apply for 2011, that gives you plenty of time to take more sciences in the fall and next spring and get some As to boost your application.

What are your other science grades? Your GPA will be broken down in science and non-science ones. You should try to bring your science GPA as close to 3.5 as possible; but if you can’t, then a good MCAT score and superb application may make up for it.

Should you retake the classes or not? Why did you get the Cs? Just a bad exam day, or you really didn’t understand/ learn the material so well? If you didn’t learn it, I’d retake it for my own sake. You actually have to know biology and chemistry to do well on the MCAT and in medical school. You won’t have time to catch up on your sciences in med school. If you feel that you know your material, move on to more advanced classes and show them that you can do it. If you have any doubts, retake!

K.

Don’t try to be in such a rush…just because you ae a junior doesn’t mean that you have to apply this year. While a 3.3 gpa isn’t a bad one, it isn’t really a competitive one for allopathic schools. Unfortunately if you don’t have the numbers, it is sometimes harder for the adcoms to see the other things that you will bring to the table like your ECs. So if it takes you another year to apply, so be it.

I, too, am curious about your other science classes…have you taken Physics or organic chemisry yet? If not, you really want to make sure that you take them BEFORE you take the MCAT. Another very important number that will be looked for by the adcoms.

What is a “BC” in Bio II? or is that just a typo? Are you understanding the material in these classes and just having some test anxiety? or are you really having difficulty with the test content? Because these are such foundational courses and an enormous amount of your advanced classes will rely on your understanding these basic concepts.

Hello Everyone, Thank so much for responding to my vent.

Last year was when I started taking my sciences classes. I had a really hard time with the material as I hadn’t taken a science class in 11 years. I asked my advisor if I should drop or retake it and he said that dropping it would look worse and retaking wouldn’t matter since he said medical schools don’t really look at those grades(He used to work in medical school admission as well as teach at John Hopkins so I listened). Trust me I would have done that in a minute. He did mention that an upward trend in my grades would look really good. I had a difficult semester both academically (11 years since my last science class) and personally (grandmother diagnosed with cancer). My grades have really bummed me out though.

What worries me the most is the followng:

1. I did really well my first year 3.8 GPA but I didn’t take any science courses.

2. I didn’t do well my second year (not looking like and upward trend, is it?)

3. I did take some courses at a cc when I finished high school and I’m not sure I did so well are the adcoms going to look at those grades as well? Now I’m starting to freak out!!!

4. This Summer I’m taking Gen Chem. II. In the Fall I’m taking Orgo I, Physics I (both with lab), Calculus and a Sociology class. Spring is Orgo II and Physics II and some other bio courses when should I take the MCAT?

I have finally figured out that I’m completely lost in this whole process
  • MrsBdwk Said:
Hello Everyone, Thank so much for responding to my vent.

Last year was when I started taking my sciences classes. I had a really hard time with the material as I hadn't taken a science class in 11 years. I asked my advisor if I should drop or retake it and he said that dropping it would look worse and retaking wouldn't matter since he said medical schools don't really look at those grades(He used to work in medical school admission as well as teach at John Hopkins so I listened). Trust me I would have done that in a minute. He did mention that an upward trend in my grades would look really good. I had a difficult semester both academically (11 years since my last science class) and personally (grandmother diagnosed with cancer). My grades have really bummed me out though.

What worries me the most is the followng:

1. I did really well my first year 3.8 GPA but I didn't take any science courses.

2. I didn't do well my second year (not looking like and upward trend, is it?)

3. I did take some courses at a cc when I finished high school and I'm not sure I did so well are the adcoms going to look at those grades as well? Now I'm starting to freak out!!!

4. This Summer I'm taking Gen Chem. II. In the Fall I'm taking Orgo I, Physics I (both with lab), Calculus and a Sociology class. Spring is Orgo II and Physics II and some other bio courses when should I take the MCAT?

I have finally figured out that I'm completely lost in this whole process

Yes, while it is true that med schools (allopathic schools) will only average in your grades, osteopathic medical schools would allow the retake and take the new (and hopefully better) grade towards your GPA. While having a lot of W's isn't a good thing, and F is so much harder to bring up if you can't retake.

I do think that upward trends definitely count, but I wouldn't worry about your second year...I think if you do really well with your upper level classes, that will carry more weight.

Now your plans for the Fall seem to be very full. Is there a reason why you are going to add calculus to the rest? Have you looked into the medical schools you are interested in? Have they required calculus? Could you then take calculus after you finish your physics and organic chem year? You really want to excel at these two and they in itself will be enough, especially if you are planning on taking your MCAT in the spring.

You've got the glide year (your year that you are actually applying) when you can take advanced bio classes, leave this year for doing the best that you can with these last two prereqs. Even if you want to take calculus this year, wait until spring...get your feet wet with physics I and organic Chem I. By the time you finish in December, you'll have a better idea of whether you have a good handle on these two classes and can take on another tough course.

Believe me, I am doing the same. I'm hoping to apply in 2010 for 2011. I'm aiming on taking the MCAT in early April so that I'll have my score by early May. I plan on applying as early in the season as I can.

Best of luck!

Thanks Krisss17,

I’m back as a Biology major taking care of my undergrad so calculus is one of the courses I have to take.

I really want to go to USF medical school since it’s literally about 20 minutes from my house. I haven’t found any DO schools close by and I would hate to move my family around again (we just moved here in July of last year).

I’m not totally sure what to do anymore, I’m just disappointed in the grades I got last year and I think it’s too late to fix it.

• MrsBdwk Said:
Thanks Krisss17,

I'm back as a Biology major taking care of my undergrad so calculus is one of the courses I have to take.

I really want to go to USF medical school since it's literally about 20 minutes from my house. I haven't found any DO schools close by and I would hate to move my family around again (we just moved here in July of last year).

I'm not totally sure what to do anymore, I'm just disappointed in the grades I got last year and I think it's too late to fix it.

Where do you live? I'm in Bradenton!

As for calculus, yes, I'm sure that you have to take it, but you don't have to take it this fall...wait until spring. Are you going to USF now? I'm down at the Sarasota-Manatee Campus.

no I live in Land o Lakes, just north of the campus. I’m going to the University of Tampa, right now. How funny that you live so close by

So, I should take Calculus in the Spring? I’m just worried the if I put math off that I’ll have a harder time getting back into the swing of it.

My concern isn’t so much about the calculus but making sure that your science prereqs are taken at the best advantage. If math is a strength of yours, then taking it in the fall will be fine…but if you find that you need to put a lot of time into it to get a good grade, you might really be stressed because both organic chem and physics will also be study time intensive. Do you have to go any further than Calc I? If not, is there any reason why you can’t take it after your science prereqs. Are you trying to graduate in May 2010?

For example, I know that I have to re-attempt Calc I myself…not so much because of degree requirements, but because I withdrew from it twice before (once because for me it was not an appropriate summer course), and the second because I started to take it with organic chem and physics about 5 years ago…it was just too much and I wound up withdrawing from all my classes but Biology I. To say I was close to a nervous breakdown, is not an exaggeration.

I will need to take the calc just to show myself that I can handle the material, because I know it will come up why I have two W’s in this class and no retake.

So I am now making this attempt again, however I am only planning on taking these two time intensive classes with a couple of other classes that are required for my degree but much less labor intensive.

Turns out I have to take Calc I with Physics I there is just no way around it. I don’t excel in math but I find that studying with a group of friends helps.

I need to just buckle down and start getting some straight A’s again. I’m just worried because I hear that Physics and Orgo are extremely hard.

• MrsBdwk Said:
Turns out I have to take Calc I with Physics I there is just no way around it. I don't excel in math but I find that studying with a group of friends helps.

I need to just buckle down and start getting some straight A's again. I'm just worried because I hear that Physics and Orgo are extremely hard.

I'm surprised that you didn't need to take the Calc I before the physics.

Well, I wish you luck...I don't think that advisor is doing you any favors, because I really don't see how taking these three classes together is a smart venture. It's not going to help you in physics if you are going to take it concurrently and your class is a calc-based physics class.

My question is why are you taking calculus based physics? Does your school not offer a course for non-engineering degree seekers that uses algebra/trig as a basis?

I think think it’s Physics based Calculus I think it’s your standard trig/algebra Calc I (I’m getting worried now about this too) I did take precalc last semester and after discussing my concerns with a fellow pre-med he told me we had to take both classes at the same time. For what reason, I’m not totally sure. The funny thing is my advisor was trying have me take a bio class this semester but changed his mind after he saw the horror in my face.

Do you guys think this is going to be way too much? I’m really worried! At my school not all classes are afford every semester so if I dropped one I’d have to wait a whole year to finally take it.

Physics based calculus?! What is that?

Most colleges offer non-calculus physics and it’s all you need to prepare for MCAT and med school.

I was trying to reread all your posts and I’m so lost… but it looks like you’re lost too.

Why don’t you meet with your advisor/ or some other advisor again and get a straight picture of which classes you need to take for your degree and in what order, and what alternatives you have (calculus-based physics or non-calculus based, etc.).

If you’re really worried, then don’t take some many classes and slow down. You’ve already have few Cs and you really don’t want to get any more of these. You should be getting straight As from now on in sciences to bring your science GPA up. If it means taking an extra year to finish your prerequisites, that advantage of it and start preparing for the MCAT or building up your resume (like doing some research, shadowing or volunteering).

If you want to apply next spring, you don’t have to have your degree finished by then. You want to be done with your prerequisites, or if necessary take one or two of these while studying for the MCAT, and you can finish your degree during the application year.

And really - go and talk to somebody who knows what classes you are required to take to graduate and how to make it work!!!

First of all your “recent” science grades as a returning mature student are not good. You need to figure out WHY you are getting C’s and change whatever you need to change to then get A’s and B’s. You are going to fall into the same mistake by loading UP your schedule with science classes in which you have NOT demonstrated the ability to excel. Taking a science class in the summer is another huge problem IMHO. If you want to get into medical school you need to get A’s mostly and some B’s in the science classes period. I would highly suggest NOT taking a science summer class, and ONLY taking ONE science class in the fall. IF you get an A, then the following semester add another (for a total of two) science classes. Adcoms WILL BE EXPECTIN A LOT from a returning non-trad. There is little room for borderline performance and with more folks applying this holds more true. Also, you will be applying to a very competitive medical school so do your best and please slow down so you can achieve your goal.

• madkasia Said:
. . .meet with your advisor/ or some other advisor again and get a straight picture of which classes you need to take for your degree and in what order, and what alternatives you have (calculus-based physics or non-calculus based, etc.).

I second that recommendation! Obviously all schools are different, but sometimes you will find they "strongly recommend" calculus-based physics but algebra-based physics is an accepted alternative.

Also, I have found that if you get to the right advisor, rules can be broken. For my u/g degree, I took C++ programming instead of Fortran and Mechanical Vibrations instead of Electrical Controls. Those were not published options in the degree requirement book. Consider all options open until the department head has told you no!
  • madkasia Said:
Physics based calculus?! What is that?

Most colleges offer non-calculus physics and it's all you need to prepare for MCAT and med school.

I was trying to reread all your posts and I'm so lost... but it looks like you're lost too.

Why don't you meet with your advisor/ or some other advisor again and get a straight picture of which classes you need to take for your degree and in what order, and what alternatives you have (calculus-based physics or non-calculus based, etc.).

If you're really worried, then don't take some many classes and slow down. You've already have few Cs and you really don't want to get any more of these. You should be getting straight As from now on in sciences to bring your science GPA up. If it means taking an extra year to finish your prerequisites, that advantage of it and start preparing for the MCAT or building up your resume (like doing some research, shadowing or volunteering).

If you want to apply next spring, you don't have to have your degree finished by then. You want to be done with your prerequisites, or if necessary take one or two of these while studying for the MCAT, and you can finish your degree during the application year.

And really - go and talk to somebody who knows what classes you are required to take to graduate and how to make it work!!!

MrsBdwk, I totally agree with Kasia...first you definitely need to sit down with your advisor and get it written exactly what you need to finish your degree, and remember since you aren't looking to start medical school before Fall 2011, you can actually graduate as late as summer 2011, if not Spring. Next look at the priorities...what you need to finish by spring of 2010, and that is pretty much your prereqs of organic chemistry and general physics. Usually before you can take the calc based physics, you need to complete calculus I, so taking both simultaneously will only leave you very lost if you don't have a natural inclination for calculus and physics. Third, if you need to take 12 credits, just take one or two other lighter courses. Remember the labs for both physics and chemistry...that is adding another 6 hours of classwork to your studies.

So take a breath, and go see your advisor tomorrow. If you don't feel like they are helping you, see someone else. Unfortunately from my experience I've only met a few (very few) really good advisors. I usually go directly to whatever school I'm looking to go to, and work from their needs and requirements. One size does not fit all and that is what I think some advisors are trying to do.

Best of luck!

Thanks everyone! I’m going to go talk to my advisor and see what he recommends. What I’m thinking is dropping Orgo all together and just waiting until next year to take it. Orgo I is only offered in the fall, so I have no other choice but to do that. I’ll take Physics this year and finish up Calculus I. Maybe add an easier biology class in the mix if I can. Since I wont be taking Orgo next semester I will also drop the Gen Chem class I’m supposed to start in a couple of weeks and just take it this Spring.

Thanks for all your help. I guess now instead of graduating in 4 years I’ll be out in 5.

This will be a much better schedule for you and then you will surely excel! good luck!