New here!

Hi! 33 year old mother of three here, and RN by profession. 12 years ago all I wanted was to pursue dream of practicing medicine. Life happened; I became ill myself and had to focus on my own recovery. Then, marriage, children. Nursing school was a path to working closely with patients. I enjoy nursing, but there is something deep inside me that suspects I have not achieved my full potential. I am here with the rest of you with the same feelings and aspirations. I don’t know if I will be able to swing it or not, with three kids under the age of 8. Looking forward to reading posts from all of us in various stages of the path to practicing medicine.

Welcome!

Glad to have you here

Kate

Welcome Sflohr!

We’re both newbies to OPM

Sflohr and Calime

welcome to both of you. Sflohr, you are not the first hearing this voice deep inside nagging you about going to med school. Almost all of us here have been through such a situation.

Read around you will see that you fit right in here and that you will likely do well if you put your heart and mind to it.

I wish you the best of luck to your both and please keep us up to date.

Just wanted to say hello! I’m new too and feel absolutely the same pulls. I am 30 and teaching chemistry/biotechnology in a high school setting. I’ve tried to be practical and let my dreams go, but like you, just can’t seem to do it. Good luck to you!

Sflohr,

It seems to me that if you can handle 12 years of nursing, with 3 children, there isn’t much you can’t handle. I’m 35, and my dream has never died. I just submitted TMDSAS yesterday, with much worse credentials than many of the accomplished folks here. I don’t regret making the commitment to go for it at all. I now see how I can make my dream come true, and have the maturity to dedicate myself to it. I have no idea if or when I will get in, but have loved the ride.

Redo-it-all is right. I’ve read many forums here for a long time, and they are filled with support, stories, honesty, and encouragement. I have been calmed to see that I’m not the only one going through such a ‘crisis’ and the accompanying emotions.

All the best!