New med student here

Hello! I am so excited to find this forum.

A little about me:

I just got into NSUCOM in South Florida, near Ft. Lauderdale. M1 starting this fall, Class of 2011. Woo hoo!

I am 34 years old, a mom to two boys, and I had an art degree before I realized I wanted to be a doctor. I did school part time and post bacc while I worked full time and had a family, including going through a divorce and remarrying. Oh, and I trained as a midwife for the last two years.

Hi!

Welcome & congratulations!

Welcome! I like these forums since there is little silliness here!

Little silliness as in not much silliness, or a little silliness, which is OK by me. I like nice silliness.

Absolutely, I just like mostly seriousness cause this is serious buisness

Welcome and congrats on your acceptance!

Welcome and congratulations!

Sure, DRFP. I think I know what you mean. There are some other forums with some issues.

Are you Family Practice? I am interested in family practice.

But still remember that many who post here also have accounts on the “other” forums…

Well, if you see anyone with issues, silly or otherwise, on this forum or the “other” ones, you be sure to let me know, OK?

Sure. The person with issues has vowels and consonants in their name. (Hint: We all have issue)

HA ha ha. Totally my point - we will get along. This has turned into a silly introduction, and I totally didn’t even mean it to be.

Well, hello.

• megboo Said:
But still remember that many who post here also have accounts on the "other" forums....

Absolutely thats why I have different ID's at the different sites that way if I'm stupid.... Lord forbid, it's just there, I have a tendency to go off the deep end sometimes........LOL yeah just read here some of my older posts yeah I regret some things but not everything.............OK I need to go and study Step one......................

Yeah, I am not too worried about being stupid on this forum or other ones, as long as I am nice. Stupid doesn’t haunt me. Mean is what I wouldn’t be able to live down.

• DRFP Said:
  • megboo Said:
But still remember that many who post here also have accounts on the "other" forums....

Absolutely thats why I have different ID's at the different sites that way if I'm stupid.... Lord forbid, it's just there, I have a tendency to go off the deep end sometimes........LOL yeah just read here some of my older posts yeah I regret some things but not everything.............OK I need to go and study Step one......................

Sorry to tell you this, Bill, but while viewing SDN I've come upon your posts and even though you are not using the same signature, I know it is you. However, rest assure I see the same maturity there as I do here.

Kris
  • hilseb Said:
Mean is what I wouldn't be able to live down.

Been there, done that......sometimes my mean streak still comes out. Such is life.

Oh Man I need to… keep being mature and that is hard on SDN LOL

Wow, my intro thread has become a self-help thread and deconstruction thread about different student doctor message boards.

I’ll go with the flow.

Welcome to this meeting of Message Boards Semi-Anonymous.

I was a moderator on a message board (one of my many many former jobs) and I still have a compulsion to call out bullies. I am not saying it doesn’t need to be done, but I am coming to realize it doesn’t necessarily need to be done by me. I am just taken off guard when people are so nasty to other people online. But, I know I can’t change people. OK, I have heard that, but I may not KNOW it. I am still learning that.

It’s kind of like driving in your car to some people. Some people think they are very important - they can cut people off, run lights, sneak up on the shoulder in rush hour and cut in on an exit (I live near Miami, can you tell?) and yell and curse and tailgate when they are in their car. Somehow they envision their car is a magic barrier that means what they do isn’t a real reflection on who they are. They dehumanize the other drivers and can somehow justify sneaking to the front of a line for an exit and cutting everyone off, when they wouldn’t do the same thing in a line at the movie theater.

I think some people treat message boards like this. They think they can let their Id run wild. They can flame people, be uber judgmental, try out insults, etc., and it isn’t “real” conversation. I am sure many stunned newbies on the “other” boards do not have the same view of their experience when they run into someone like that on there, like it was some sort of pretend banter.

But, I am realizing that when I jump in and say, “Hey, why are you freaking out on that poor OP?” I am usually just opening myself up as a target. Maybe a more experienced and apparently willing target, but still, who needs the stress? Not me.

My motto is do not say or do anything in your car, on the phone, or via your keyboard that you would not say or do to someone standing in front of you.

When OMD’s first word’s to me at the conference were “You look just like I thought you’d look.”, I felt as though I’m living up to (or down to ) my own motto.

As a correction, there is being mean and then there’s being a bully. I do have a mean streak but I’m not a bully. Flaming people isn’t my idea of fun. Flaming an idiot for being an idiot…well…we all have our little idiosyncracies now don’t we.

Miami! I’s from Miami. Carol City to be exact. Oh wait they rezoned it so I think it’s called Miami Gardens now… Miami drivers are the most entitled SOB’s on the freakin road. Everyone should be at the head of the line, no one should have to wait because of a stop sign or stop light, pedestrians are targets, the shoulder is for anything they deem an emergency… I don’t miss driving in Miami. I was just there a month ago and the only thing that’s changed is the driving is worse than I remember!

Agendas are the problem

Many have agendas and love to be agreed with so when others do not agree then there is an argument

no one wants to be told they are wrong

for Caribbean and offshore there are scams going on and some school officials try to put down the other schools to make students available to the great school (tongue in cheek) they have. ( These officials hide and act like a student poster)

So I have gotten caught in these crappy posts and wish I could break my fingers at times to stop such stupid behavior.

I’m a Mod at one site now and former at another.