New to this topic - MCAT When?

When should one take MCAT exam to apply for med schools in June?

How many months should one study before taking the test?

Should MCAT prep start while taking premed pre-reqs or should one spend 2-3 months after pre-reqs are over?

Please advise.

I’ve read and known so many varying stories to those questions and the short answer is: it depends. Everyone’s situation is different. My physics lab partner from last semester studied for only a few weeks and scored a 31. Other people study for several months and get varying scores. I don’t believe there is one correct answer to any of those questions.

I can speak, however, for my own situation. I plan on taking the MCAT in April or May for a June application. I started studying over the summer in June with EK books and continue to do so whenever I find free time. I do not plan on taking a course (like Kaplan or TPR).

I am currently taking O-Chem I, Cell Bio, and Physiology. Next semester I plan to take O-Chem II, so I’ll take the MCAT before I completely finish O-Chem but after I’ve already taken all the other courses.

My logic is that the more time I spend reviewing the material, working problems, and becoming familiar with everything MCAT, the better chance I have. Experience matters to me.

In the end, I think you have to evaluate your own situation and do what’s best for you.

I like being prepared as well, thanks for sharing.

I agree that taking it in April or May for a June application is a good idea. Also, do not neglect to sign up ASAP once that date is open to sign up for…or you may find yourself taking it later than you wanted to!

I started the prep while in 2nd semester Bio, Physics, and Organic Chem, (with 2 labs), and took it before I had completely finished the courses but had pretty much completed the content. I took about 10 weeks and did Kaplan. Many in my class did less Kaplan and more ExamKrackers. In any case, taking a number of practice tests will really help one, especially with pacing. I found the on-line practice tests very like the real thing, except that they had a mixture of shorter and long passages, and the actual test that I got had all long passages. Don’t know how reflective that is of everyone’s experience.

Kate

I agree with Kate, practice tests will help you with pacing and build your confidence for sustaining the mental effort on the real thing. Also agree with desert shawn’s idea of taking the test either toward the end of your prereqs or ASAP thereafter. The same strategy will serve you well through med school, residency and board certification – take the step exams and boards while the material is still fresh and relevant.

• jmdmd Said:
I agree with Kate, practice tests will help you with pacing and build your confidence for sustaining the mental effort on the real thing. Also agree with desert shawn's idea of taking the test either toward the end of your prereqs or ASAP thereafter. The same strategy will serve you well through med school, residency and board certification -- take the step exams and boards while the material is still fresh and relevant.

I concur strongly with kate and jmd. You should be able to do consistently well on several practice exams under realistic/timed conditions before taking the real exam. I also suggest practice exams from two different sources, one being the AAMC own set. Usually test prep companies offering online exams along with their courses.

I also strongly recommend that you take an April or May MCAT so you can get your score BEFORE you submit your application. Not only have I seen a few people who have done well on practice exams but have a poor real exam day, but it could present a conundrum. What do you do if you have submitted your application before you know the score and your MCAT score comes back very low? Do you withdraw application? Do you alter your summer plans schedule to study and take a late MCAT in August, even though your are behind the rolling admissions curve? This issue tends to be more for traditional students who thought their medical school prep was done, have great summer job or plans and then find a bad MCAT score after they submitted their apps.

All of the above goes under my philosophy of being the strongest first time applicant possible

I will buy the MCAT books in the second semester, and use 2 different course materials and see where I will be.

Thanks y’all for helping.