Newbie in soul searching mode

Hi my name is czar and im currently soul searching if i should proceed to medicine or just stay as a nurse. I came across the oldpremedschool site when i was searching you tube for some advice and i saw “nontrad” or “nontraddoc”. he gave a very good advice but i need some more from you experts in here. Let me give you a quick history why medicine. As a child i never thought i would be in the science field since my dad filled my head with all LAW stuff. But that did not happen since i was not mature enough when i was in the pre law program. Until I came across Nursing, it made me more aware and appreciative of life and people in general. Then there was that time, an exact moment that a switch inside my brain flipped and i said to myself i could do better and be more if i will become a physician. At first i told myself let me just finish my LPN course for now so i could figure out if i will survive and have a steady job to get some food in the table and money to pay the bills. I asked my parents about this newly found passion, particularly my mom. She was somewhat happy but in the doubt. And for my dad he said “just be a nurse and save money for future” which is very realistic. But i have this bug inside my brain that keeps on kicking me, saying the priceless question which is “WHAT IF?”. I have some reasons that im really thinking hard on how to solve if it happens. These would be the following. First, I dont have money to put myself again to school, second how will i pay the bills if i will be in school full time, third my parents are already in their early 60’s and have their own illnesses and conditions. They needed my help most of the time. And fourth is im only an average person. Im not a genius nor gifted. But if im focused enough I do get high grades. In terms of working with people i dont have any problems. Im very patient and open minded. I worked as a CNA for 3 years and then I got promoted to a Social Services Director. Now im graduating for my LPN course and the bug which is in my brain is still kicking like hell. So i dont know what to do next… I am not sure if it will work but im looking into enrolling in a community college, maybe finish my nursing to a step higher and be and BS-RN.(But i heared it will take me 3 years before I actually get in, because of the wait list and the volume of students applying into community colleges) And if im still ok i would like to double major in biomedical science. I dont know if i would make it, im not entirely sure. Any suggestions please? Thank You very much!

First, if you can still edit that, break it into paragraphs… cuz my eyes blurred reading it.

2nd - welcome!

As Requested. Here it is

Hi my name is czar and im currently soul searching if i should proceed to medicine or just stay as a nurse.

I came across the oldpremedschool site when i was searching you tube for some advice and i saw “nontrad” or “nontraddoc”. he gave a very good advice but i need some more from you experts in here.

Let me give you a quick history why medicine. As a child i never thought i would be in the science field since my dad filled my head with all LAW stuff. But that did not happen since i was not mature enough when i was in the pre law program.

Until I came across Nursing, it made me more aware and appreciative of life and people in general. Then there was that time, an exact moment that a switch inside my brain flipped and i said to myself i could do better and be more if i will become a physician.

At first i told myself let me just finish my LPN course for now so i could figure out if i will survive and have a steady job to get some food in the table and money to pay the bills.

I asked my parents about this newly found passion, particularly my mom. She was somewhat happy but in the doubt. And for my dad he said “just be a nurse and save money for future” which is very realistic.

But i have this bug inside my brain that keeps on kicking me, saying the priceless question which is “WHAT IF?”. I have some reasons that im really thinking hard on how to solve if it happens. These would be the following. …

First, I dont have money to put myself again to school,

second how will i pay the bills if i will be in school full time,

third my parents are already in their early 60’s and have their own illnesses and conditions. They needed my help most of the time.

And fourth is im only an average person. Im not a genius nor gifted. But if im focused enough I do get high grades.

In terms of working with people i dont have any problems. Im very patient and open minded. I worked as a CNA for 3 years and then I got promoted to a Social Services Director. Now im graduating for my LPN course and the bug which is in my brain is still kicking like hell.

So i dont know what to do next… I am not sure if it will work but im looking into enrolling in a community college, maybe finish my nursing to a step higher and be and BS-RN.

(But i heared it will take me 3 years before I actually get in, because of the wait list and the volume of students applying into community colleges)

And if im still ok i would like to double major in biomedical sciences.

I dont know if i would make it, im not entirely sure. Any suggestions please? Thank You very much!

Thank you for breaking that first paragraph up!!

Here’s my thoughts:

1. Why physician instead of RN? Can you articulate why? Would you consider NP?

2. I would venture to guess everyone on here has parents that are older… my brothers are your parents’ age if that helps; my dad is 84 and my mom is something else (seriously, she really IS something else!!!)

Anyway, what I can tell you from my own POV:

nursing was never going to be it for me… I like the diagnostic part of the sciences and leading… plus, to be frank, doting on a singular person for an extended 8 hours makes my eyes roll…

I can dote, treat, etc for every person for a short period of time being pleasant, affable, and friendly but the actual care giving for 8 hours a day?

That’s not me. Nor is being told what to do and not having input… plus, I LOVE the hard sciences.

I love knowing how gen chem leads to ochem and that leads to biochem and physiology and genetics.

I love knowing that the amino acids form and bond in different structures to build a pocket, much like a baseball mitt, so that a molecule could come and fit right into and either inhibit a reaction or not… and that the polarity (gen chem) matters because if one is polar and the other not, the molecule will bounce out…

I loved learning… still do. Always will!!

So beyond the why a physician and not a nurse question for you is this:

Do you love to learn hard sciences?

Do you like the continual care giving of patients rather than triage, treat, and move on?

You mentioned money:

I paid for my pre-reqs out of my own pocket. It ran about $30,000 or so at a four year, land granting, university. In addition, I worked full time, had a teenage son at home (I’m a single mom) and basically, gave up having a life to chase this.

Depending on the state you live in, you may have grants and loans available to finance the pre-reqs. I’m not sure the status of federal loans and grants to pursue pre-reqs in order to fulfill graduate degree admission requirements (which MD and DO are considered).

My thought is that you should finish the LPN and then look at RN v. PA v. MD/DO at that time.

You may find that getting the RN fulfills everything you wanted, or you may feel there is something missing… and then be able to figure what that “missing thing” is…

Best of luck as you meander this long marathon!

Ad2b

Bottom line…why do you want to be a physician? If it is money, I know many nurses that make well over six figures/year. If it is the burning desire to be able to help patients at a more educated level, you should go for it. There will be many sacrifices along the way. If you parents are ill, I understand that concern. However, it would probably give them great pride if you were to pursue your dream. Also, you may wish to sit with a consultant to discuss exactly what you need to do to get your application ready. It sounds like you have a bit of a task before you even apply. Good Luck!

Dr. Ralph Messo

www.MedicalSchoolApplication1 01.com

thanks for the reply doc2be.

Well I made a list on why i wanted to become a physician than a nurse. And my list have as follows:

1. Greater Knowledge.

>Im a person who loves to learn new stuff, especially hard ones. It gives me this drive of challenge to solve a certain problem. And i also believe in the saying that “learning is never ending”.

2. Research purposess

>Im always fascinated with those mysterious type of diseases. I have a never ending trail of questions. And i was thinking maybe if i have the

background studying as a doctor i might understand it more and maybe in the future the answers i could have would make the world better.

3. About giving back and taking care of people.

>I know i could do this even if im not a nurse or a doctor. But the most problems of a human being in this world is on survival, and the factors that would decrease the survival are diseases, viruses and a lack of education. Some people would tell me im so overly dramatic and cheezzy and all of those stuff, but it really makes me feel good if in a day i could help a person out of its misery. and if you ask why? my answer would be I DONT KNOW. it just does make me feel better.

4. Self contentment

> This passion of mine has been inside me since i was 18. And im surprised to see myself excel in sciences other than pre law or law which i took right out of highschool maybe i was not mature enough when i 16 years old or maybe because my parents decided what they wanted me to be. Now im 24 and I think i already had a clear view on what i really wanted to do with my future. And i think helping people and searching answers to the unknown ones that would better the world would make me feel better.

Answers to your questions:

> Yes i do love it very much. It fascinates me and it makes me feel alive as if i have a purpose to fulfill. im sort of a geek also, that i wanted to have my own lab in my room just to continue studying and working on something i want answers to…

Do you like the continual care giving of patients rather than triage, treat, and move on?

> I personally like to have long continuous partnership with a patient. I do believe in continuity of care is the key to success in solving problems, and if there might be 1 or 2 in the future, i can easily look back to how and why it went wrong and work from there.

would i consider NP?

> in my opinion it is a very good job. But it is not for me. Not my calling. Because for me why would you want to stop at that point when there are so far beyond to explore?

About Money:

I actually have no idea where to get money just to go to school. Because like you said, you have a teenage son that you have to support, me I have parents (2) people that needs constant care and attention.

I am the youngest among the 6 children. I have 1 sister here, but shes doesn’t really care even if they are sick or had food poisoning. She doesnt have the eyes that I do in terms of assessing people.Plus shes always partying. I dont trust her with my parents. My other siblings are out of the country but hopefully they could help me out in taking care of mom and dad in the near future.

People would say somethings wrong with me because at this age i should be out and partying. BUt im not like that. I dont know why. Im pre occupied with chasing my dreams and answers to my questions.

I currently reside here in Illinois, and Im looking at enrolling in oakton community college just to get those prerequisites. What do you think about this? would this be an ok idea since im still figuring out my numbers for tuition fees? would it take me longer time before entering med school?

I actually agree with your thought of continuing to RN. Because i think it is the right thing to do. to be on track.

I like how you said this, it is really good to ponder on >

" You may find that getting the RN fulfills everything you wanted, or you may feel there is something missing… and then be able to figure what that “missing thing” is…"

Maybe making BS - Rn as my pre med would be the perfect fit.

Thank you very much for the help. I hope to hear more from you

thanks for the reply doc2be.

Well I made a list on why i wanted to become a physician than a nurse. And my list have as follows:

1. Greater Knowledge.

>Im a person who loves to learn new stuff, especially hard ones. It gives me this drive of challenge to solve a certain problem. And i also believe in the saying that “learning is never ending”.

2. Research purposess

>Im always fascinated with those mysterious type of diseases. I have a never ending trail of questions. And i was thinking maybe if i have the

background studying as a doctor i might understand it more and maybe in the future the answers i could have would make the world better.

3. About giving back and taking care of people.

>I know i could do this even if im not a nurse or a doctor. But the most problems of a human being in this world is on survival, and the factors that would decrease the survival are diseases, viruses and a lack of education. Some people would tell me im so overly dramatic and cheezzy and all of those stuff, but it really makes me feel good if in a day i could help a person out of its misery. and if you ask why? my answer would be I DONT KNOW. it just does make me feel better.

4. Self contentment

> This passion of mine has been inside me since i was 18. And im surprised to see myself excel in sciences other than pre law or law which i took right out of highschool maybe i was not mature enough when i 16 years old or maybe because my parents decided what they wanted me to be. Now im 24 and I think i already had a clear view on what i really wanted to do with my future. And i think helping people and searching answers to the unknown ones that would better the world would make me feel better.

Answers to your questions:

> Yes i do love it very much. It fascinates me and it makes me feel alive as if i have a purpose to fulfill. im sort of a geek also, that i wanted to have my own lab in my room just to continue studying and working on something i want answers to…

> I personally like to have long continuous partnership with a patient. I do believe in continuity of care is the key to success in solving problems, and if there might be 1 or 2 in the future, i can easily look back to how and why it went wrong and work from there.

would i consider NP?

> in my opinion it is a very good job. But it is not for me. Not my calling. Because for me why would you want to stop at that point when there are so far beyond to explore?

About Money:

I actually have no idea where to get money just to go to school. Because like you said, you have a teenage son that you have to support, me I have parents (2) people that needs constant care and attention.

I am the youngest among the 6 children. I have 1 sister here, but shes doesn’t really care even if they are sick or had food poisoning. She doesnt have the eyes that I do in terms of assessing people.Plus shes always partying. I dont trust her with my parents. My other siblings are out of the country but hopefully they could help me out in taking care of mom and dad in the near future.

People would say somethings wrong with me because at this age i should be out and partying. BUt im not like that. I dont know why. Im pre occupied with chasing my dreams and answers to my questions.

I currently reside here in Illinois, and Im looking at enrolling in oakton community college just to get those prerequisites. What do you think about this? would this be an ok idea since im still figuring out my numbers for tuition fees? would it take me longer time before entering med school?

I actually agree with your thought of continuing to RN. Because i think it is the right thing to do. to be on track.

I like how you said this, it is really good to ponder on >

" You may find that getting the RN fulfills everything you wanted, or you may feel there is something missing… and then be able to figure what that “missing thing” is…"

Maybe making BS - Rn as my pre med would be the perfect fit.

Thank you very much for the help. I hope to hear more from you

It is never about the money. Because if it is money then i would be ok with me being a nurse. Like what i said doc its a bug that keeps on kicking my brains. And yes it is a burning desire that i cant put out.

Im actually finding ways or easing my parents feelings on this path i wanted so badly to take. They are the type of people thats super realistic. They just wanted to work have money to pay bills and bring food home and save a little for rainy days.

Im different because i wanted to do more, be more and give more to the community. I hope to God they would support me.

About the consultant, i never knew that there’s one for this? If so, can you recommend anyone?

You are right I have a lot of things to do before really getting up in the race.

Thanks doc!

I hope to hear more from you dr. Ralph

There are quite a few consultants. Some more experienced than others. I serve as one, but there are many. If you wish to email me at Ralph1989@aol.com I can answer this question in more detail.

Dr. Messo

Just be aware that RN will not work as Premed. Both very different animals. You would be better off just trying to get into a premed tract right now. Take it from someone whos been there, done that. Being in the nursing tract will not favor you when applying to med school

Good point. I remember some schools specifically stating that prerequisites be taken through specific science departments and that the “same” courses taught by the nursing department wouldn’t be considered. For example, CHEM101 vs its nursing school equivalent. I suppose if Chem on the nursing track is taught by the chem department it would still work as long as the course title is CHEM101 and not NURS120 or whatever.

I tutor pre-nursing students and at some schools, these students take the same chemistry class that the premeds/pre-engineering, ect students take.

Just be sure to double check before registering.

ok doc, will do tonight. Thanks for the info!

Thanks orla. My boss told me the same thing. But she said it might be also a good side for me because i would know how to work as a nurse and as a doctor. She explained that I might understand more of each side of the coin because im “gonna” be one of each. But she said its up to me on how i will adopt to the situation.

thanks kennymac, I will check and double check again the subjects before i enroll.

I echo what everyone else said about pre-reqs for med school vs. what you take for nursing school.

My lab partner in gen chem was a nursing student and that’s where her hard science courses ended.

Same with the engineerings students, unless chem-e…

So, don’t be surprised if you chase the RN and find out very little of what you took applies to pre-med.

Also, you will be asked why did you do the RN route v.s. premed to start with. There are nurses on here who have made the transition and I’m sure they could share their stories of how it worked…

I would not recommend using/paying for a consultant at this point unless that is given for free. Besides, you have us and we are actually walking or have walked in your shoes (being a premed or considering it).

There is only one person I ever talked to directly about being a non-trad premed and she has not posted on this forum for sometime.

She was the a director of admissions for a top 10 school in the U.S. And her guidance and advice was spot on.

So, for now, I would suggest just keep moving forward … as for community college courses, I can’t speak to that I know the advice given to me was take the courses at the hardest, PhD (land granting) university I could.

I did. No regrets. Now MCAT time.

Czar,

Take both Chem I, Chem II, and Organic Chemistry I at a university and then revisit your plan.

I have a habit for being up front and refusing to sugar coat anything. So if this offends you then I’m sorry. Take it seriously or get mad at some guy from the internet you’ve never met nor will ever meet.

Your careless grammar and spelling tells me that you have, at some point in your educational history, lacked the motivation to perform in an outstanding manner, which you must have as a basis for getting accepted into a medical school. It also demonstrates a disregard for detail and/or the inability for deliberate, focused examination. You can’t expect to excel in science if you cannot maintain a grasp of the details.

I suggest if it really means that much to you, then retake your college English courses. Good luck having a medical school board invite you for an interview after they read a personal statement replete with flippant writing.

If I’m wrong then I’m wrong. But I’m not wrong.

• Zachman Said:

I have a habit for being up front and refusing to sugar coat anything.

Zach,

I might suggest you be a little more, how shall I say this, diplomatic in your responses. It will serve you well if you ever get into medical school.

While your response replete with perfect grammar and succinct eloquence of verbiage might be impressive to you, more important to a forum such as this one is:

diplomacy

I find internet forums to not be indicative of someone's English speaking or writing capability as many just troll to see what they can stir.

Your point was overly harsh for Czar and because you only have exactly two posts on this forum, perhaps a bit more time perusing the threads might help you see the tone and tenor here.

Thank you.

----

Czar - Internet UR U I-net,GTG, BBL, BBYL, etc, are not indicative of someone's desire or ability.

However, I do agree with his "take the chem courses at a university and then think about what's next."

Ad2b :)

duplicate post

I don’t think there was anything uncivil about my assessment. Take it or leave it, as I said before. I’m not a gatekeeper, just another Millenial who gets annoyed by certain idiosyncracies of my generation - especially entitlement and unrealistic expectations without acknowledging the ‘manual’ nature of advancing in life. I’m not trying to crush hopes and dreams. Good luck, Czar.