nontrad just now starting undergraduate

Hi everyone!
I’m just getting ready to start school, and will begin at square one. I’m 26, and am going to try and complete a degree in biology so that I can apply to med school, if everything works out. Starting from scratch is a little daunting as an older student. I am 26 now, but will be 30 by the time I am able to apply.
I look forward to hearing from others, and hanging around the forum.
mtn top med
med school hopeful

Welcome to the group! And congratulations on beginning your pursuit of the bio degree.
As has been said on the forum many times, the voyage is a marathon and not a sprint. Heck, you’ll still be younger than I am when you begin med school! Try to find enjoyment in all your coursework and experiences. And make sure to be active in volunteering and not forget about the community.
Good luck!
Larry

Hey there. it’s always nice to have someone else join this motley crue. I know it seems like a long hall but you’ll be there before you know it. The one cool thing about your situation is that you don’t have any academic sins to make up for and will probably be able to focus in and excel in your degree which should facilitate getting in to a school of your choice. Good luck!

Howdy and welcome,
It may be daunting as a 26 year old, but you’re in very good company here! I’m just a month from being an MS-II and was 43 in October. Welcome.

Welcome your in good company, I started to think about Med school at 34, but didn’t really get to it till 39. I’m 41 and in Med school now so you still have a jump on me!
Keep posting and hang in there!

It’s good to hear that I’m not in the race alone! Some of you may understand when I say that things just came together, and wouldn’t have worked out 4 years ago or more. I feel it is the right time to pursue it, so I’m going to give it a go.
Thanks for the replies. It is very encouraging to hear from others pursing medicine that are not the ‘typical’ 22 years old.
mtn top med
med school hopeful

Hiya,
Yup, I’m right there with you (though I have traded 1.5 years of college credit for being 29). I’m also thinking of doing biology as well (currently seriously pondering a BA in Biological Science).
Good luck and know you’re not alone!

Hey, good to see someone in such a similar situation. I’m 26 as well and have the vast majority of my degree ahead of me and reletively few academic sins in my past as well. Do people look at you like you’re nuts. too? Or is that just me?

Its not just you. Get used to the people thinking you are nuts. Most people just don’t understand why we want to put ourselves through this.

Hey everyone,
29 years young here gratefully preparing for my undergraduate years. Physicianship is in my future so let’s share success stories!!.

I’ve had some positive feedback, and also some neutral feedback from family and friends. I’ve tried to keep my goals to myself for this reason. Heck, my own mother questioned me as to why, but I think she just wants me to start having her grandkids. lol My greatest support comes from a wonderful hubby.
I go to sign up for the first classes on Friday! I’m excited and nervous, and trying to remind myself that it will be a long road.

Quote:

I’ve had some positive feedback, and also some neutral feedback from family and friends. I’ve tried to keep my goals to myself for this reason. Heck, my own mother questioned me as to why, but I think she just wants me to start having her grandkids. lol My greatest support comes from a wonderful hubby.
I go to sign up for the first classes on Friday! I’m excited and nervous, and trying to remind myself that it will be a long road.

It’s pretty common for family and friends to think you’re crazy for pursuing this path. They eventually get over it. It helps to share with them some of the cool things you learn in your classes. My favorite is, “Did you know…” My husband starts laughing before I even finish the sentence. Just remember to be curious and excited about your classes. After all, that’s part of the reason you want to be a doctor, because you think the human body is incredibly cool. I know, we’re all dorks. Good luck!
Gina

Hopefully my family and friends will accept it sooner rather than later. It would be great to get an encouraging word or feeling from everyone instead of feeling like i have to second guess myself.
I just realized that the 4 yr university I will be attending (starting Friday!) does not have algebra based physics. arg! This means I will have to take plane trig., and then calculus 1, before being able to take physics 1, and then physics 2. I’m bummed out about it.
mtn top med
med school hopeful

It may seem like a burden, but let me try and cheer you up: calculus-based physics is 100 times more interesting!
And in any case, the trigonometry refresher will come in very handy. Have fun, my friend.

Thanks for the heads up about calculus based physics. I’m all for ‘interesting’! I am no math whiz, so I’m hoping I will be able to keep good grades through the trig. and calculus classes.
Everyone seems to say taking algebra based is all you really need. But, if the calculus based road will come in handy, then that helps me to not feel so negative about it.
mtn top med
take 2 of these and call me in the morning

<<
algebra based is all you really need
>>
This is totally true for the MCAT. THere is no calculus, but there is lots of algebra and trigonometry, and some geometry: volumes of spheres, areas of triangles, this kind of thing. You must be totally expert in how to compute with logarithms and scientific notation-- this is how many careless errors were made by me.
I’m no math whiz but I’m more of a math buff, if ya get my distinction.

I didn’t realize there was that much math on the mcat. In that case, it is probably best to take those math classes and really get a grip on it and get decent grade, and then try and do well on it for the mcat. I don’t feel so bad about having to take those classes now. thanks.
I have to rearrange the order/amount of classes to accomodate the 2 extra math classes. If I don’t spread the classes out, then I would end up taking 2 science classes, 1 math (trig or calc), and 1 elective for 2 semester in a row. I don’t know if that would be too much or not. I know there are people who have done it successfully. It is individual I am sure.
I go tomorrow to sign up for classes. It sounds silly but I’m excited about it. I’m starting my education at the ripe of age of 26, and I feel pretty good about that. (Although I don’t feel so hot knowing I will have a loan to repay at the end )
mtn top med
med school hopeful

I am 29 years old. Everyone thinks I’m nuts! They can’t believe that I’m giving up my career to go back to school and become a physician. You know what? They thought I was nuts when I started my own business at 18 instead of going to school. What I have discovered is everytime you are on the brink of greatness, and go against the grain or do something that others wish they had the courage to do…they think you’re nuts!
I always tell my employees to pursue what they know in their heart will bring them fulfillment. Now, it’s time to follow my own advice. I hope that everyone on here that is starting the journey to become a doc, follows their heart and trusts their instincts instead of what “they” say. Who are “they” anwyay? Most of them are people who gave up on their dreams. They quit before they achieved their purpose. They wussed out. You know what? They like the bottom of the bucket, and they like company.
I like this forum because it will give folks like me a chance to interact with others striving for the same goal. I hope that when we face challenges instead of going to our friends who for the most part have absolutely no clue what we’re dealing with we have the resolve to find a buddy in this forum that we can bounce things off of. I hope that that interaction with others pursuing their dreams will continue to help keep us all on track.

I don’t think you are nuts! I wish at 29 I realized I really wanted to be a DOC an not keep on track with Nursing. Now I’m 41 in Med school (better late than never) but now I will be fullfilled I know It! Hang in there!

Good to know we are all not nuts! There are those that are suspect though.
I signed up for two of the 4 classes! I have to go back to sign up for the other 2 because they didn’t have a grade from a math class I took at a CC before they will let me take college algebra and Chem. 1 together.
It is better late than never if it is your dream.
mtn top med
med school hopeful