NP to MD

I am an Adult NP looking to go back to become an MD, do I still need to take the MCAT and do 4 years of MEd school? are there any accelerated programs, and I don’t mean Oceaana NP to MD program.

I never did chemistry or physics, do I start my doing those courses?

Or maybe I should just get my DNP, I will still be called Doctor. HELP!

Ok, I think I can help out. I’m a CNM NP now in med school. You absolutely need to do the MCAT because you can’t apply to med school without it. You need the baskc prerequisites - 1 year of bio with lab, 1 year of General chemistry with lab, 1 year of Organic Chemistry with lab, and 1 year of physics with lab. I would definately start with General Chemistry because after that you COULD do bio, physics and organic all in one year. The organic lab can be postponed till you are applying to med school if completed before matriculating. I postponed the second semester organic lab because Organic Chem, Physics and Bio second semester, with Bio and Physics lab, was a very heavy schedule by itself. You don’t need to have had the Organic lab for the MCAT, although I think having 1st semester lab helped me a lot.

You have to do the whole 4 years of medical school. I see, now that I’m in it, why. There is a tremendous level of physiological detail that we don’t get in NP education. I find bits of it I know just as well (much of CV and respiratory as I was an ICU nurse for 13 years, much of nutrition, etc). But it is a smattering thru each course, not the comprehensive system knowledge required.

I’m not sure a DNP would get you where you want to be. If you are an NP and wanting to do or know more, that might still be the case after a DNP.

Case Western is a school that is very receptive to non-trads, and particularly nurses. It also has a “ND” program (a clinical nursing doctorate) as well, and talking with their folks might help you find out more about that route.

Part of preparing to apply to medical school includes shadowing a physician or several physicians. I didn’t do much of that as my medical experience threw me into close contact with doctors, but I did some. It’s useful to get a feel for what their day is like, how they approach clinical situations. I shadowed a D.O. because I was interested in that avenue of medicine (it’s very compatable with nursing philosophy and was a better “fit” for me), and it solidified my intentions. I decided I wanted to be a doctor “like that”. Maybe you can find a DNP to shadow as well, or at least talk with. Alumni associations from one’s previous nursing schools are possible ways to connect.

Good luck in your future pursuits!

Kate

Thank you for your insight. I work with a DO and many nurses at a local Las Vegas correction facility. DO is definitely the way to go for me…

Thanks so much, we are about the same age, I am 49. It was an inspiration seeing someone else close to 50 is pursuing med school I thought I was crazy and I felt so ashamed of my age. You were very helpful, I will start these basic science courses in the fall.

jazzy

Jazzy -

I know how you feel about the age. THat was sort of my starting place as well. Try to get over it! Remember that it translates to richer experience and can make you a stand-out applicant in a good way

Kate

• jazzy Said:
Thanks so much, we are about the same age, I am 49. It was an inspiration seeing someone else close to 50 is pursuing med school I thought I was crazy and I felt so ashamed of my age. You were very helpful, I will start these basic science courses in the fall.

jazzy

The oldest newly matriculated student to Osteopathic School in 2009 was 56 years old

Thanks so much for your enlightening information. I am 48 and has been togging with enrolling for the pre-req courses as I am 48 years old. Even though I have the full support of the family, I always had the underline feelings of being in college with all the younger ones. I am also an RN.

Full support of your family is a great resource!

I started the prereqs at 51 - did a formal postbac because I could get all the courses in 1 year, 1 glide year to apply, started med school at 53.

I can’t promise success, but I felt that a year of my life and the financial expense was a reasonable investment in reaching for my dream.

Kate

Hello Kate429,

thank you for your words of insight. In your opinion, what is the best way to contact a physician in regard to shadowing? Is it best to call and leave a message for him/her or fax a request? Thank you for your time.

Iris

I’d say in my opinion, call and leave a message but tell the “gatekeepers” (the receptionist or nurse) what it is about.

In my experience, one often does not get thru with this approach, however.

So write a letter (I think not a fax). Explain who you are and what you want. An initial “one or two times shadowing” can turn into, with discussion, the opportunity to shadow for a more significant period of time. Include an email address and phone number for contact info.

Then call and followup the letter within a few days. This combo will probably work.

I also asked prior to shadowing if simply being in professional attire was acceptable. Some family doctors would prefer business casual, some hospital-based doctors prefer a white coat (protective coloration?) - I think it’s good to ask.

Kate

@Kate429 Thank you so much for your advice. I really appreciate you and all the other participants for sharing your journeys and words of wisdom. Take care!

You’re quite welcome! And good luck on these next steps of yours!

Kate

• Kate429 Said:
I'd say in my opinion, call and leave a message but tell the "gatekeepers" (the receptionist or nurse) what it is about...Kate

Before any of this, however, reach out to your social network. Most people are friends either directly with a doctor or with at least one person who is friends with a doctor. While that doctor may not be in a field relevant to your interests, or may not be able to offer shadowing, they may know someone else who can.

At the very least, it may let you being your initial interest letter to them with "Doctor Johansen recommended I speak with you about shadowing opportunities."

One of the biggest advantages we have as OPMs is our depth of life experience. A huge part of that includes those social contacts that, by their very nature, can only be properly developed over a longer lifetime of experience and interaction with people than teenagers have had the opportunity to foster. Exploit your strengths whenever possible.