Nursing to Med. School...

I am planning on going from nursing to med. school. Not because I want to but mostly because I need to be able to work. I am going to a two-year college now getting my associates. I plan on getting my bachelors from Lincoln Memorial College.

That is also where I want to attend med. school because there is such a shortage of doctors in that area of Tennessee.

I was just wondering if someone could give me some realistic odds on getting into med. school from nursing. I have heard different things from people. Some people have told me that the clinical experience would look good while others have said that colleges frown going from nursing to med. school.

• hello nurse Said:
I am planning on going from nursing to med. school. Not because I want to but mostly because I need to be able to work. I am going to a two-year college now getting my associates. I plan on getting my bachelors from Lincoln Memorial College.

That is also where I want to attend med. school because there is such a shortage of doctors in that area of Tennessee.

I was just wondering if someone could give me some realistic odds on getting into med. school from nursing. I have heard different things from people. Some people have told me that the clinical experience would look good while others have said that colleges frown going from nursing to med. school.

Your odds are the same as every other Premed.

There is no advantage being a Nurse. ( some say disadvantage because you will be asked "Why Medical school when you are already in a career" I do not agree disadvantage but things have happened in the past)

ALso (this is my advice from an RN for 20yrs) do not tell the other Nurses. Go to school and just tell them its to get a BS degree, do not tell them premed, until you need the LOR's and such keep it to yourself, it will make work better for you. I think Mary R. will post sometime to you also, she is an RN also. Nurses are great and awesome but if you tell them you are premed some will think your a "Traitor" in some way, not out loud but in attitude towards you. I have several stories of what happened to me when I told them at work I was going to medical school (It was a year of Heck (LL)!!!)

As far as your chances at one school? May or may not be good the Schools in TN are competitive from what I know. Theres one in Ga thats not too hard to get into though.

Good Luck

?

Hmm…well, not all med students major in biology. It’s all right to leave one career for another (that’s what we’re all doing here), but you have to have a clear, well thought-out reason and prove that you can do the academic work in your new chosen profession.

The reason why I am doing nursing, is like I stated before, I HAVE TO BE ABLE TO WORK. I have a 10 month old daughter and can not afford to not work for 8 years. If I could I would major in something different because, honestly, I am not that interested in being a nurse. At this moment though my options are limited both due to my location and the job shortage. My fiance has not been able to find work for over a year. If I get my associates in nursing then do and RN-BSN mobility program I can have my BSN in 3 years from August. I will also have all my pre-reqs if I double my credit hours.

I was really responding to fullitaliandmr, not quarreling with your reasoning. You have to do what works for you and your family.

oh yeah i know.

i was telling him why i was doing nursing and not just majoring in a science.

Yay! It’s all cool, then. I always like to make sure.

• fullitaliandmr Said:
Actually, admissions committees frown on people with nursing degrees going to medical school. There is a huge shortage of nurses and for you to leave for med school is bad in their eyes. Its bad in my as well. Why leave a good profession such as nursing for medicine? If you want medicine major in Bio like everyone else.

Not to argue, but Majoring in Biology is frowned upon by some too. The reason? Well its like you go to a car lot and all the cars are red but hey theres a blue car "I want that one" and the ADCOM's are the same way, they ones who stick out and do interesting things in undergrad and have high GPA's too are the ones who get accepted a lot of times.

As far as Nursing, Uh if they are not happy then why should they be forced into this career? Why should you be a Doctor if you are unhappy at that? Some leave medicine.

I agree it may be questioned but how is it different that you are a EMT or paramedic and want to go to medical school? How? they are "Good Professions too!"

I'm sorry but you need to have an opened mind there are more then one way to medical school and thats what this site is partly about, the journey we all take, its different for everyone. ( my intention is not to offend anyone here BTW)

Take a look at my blog if you want.

http://southerndoccarib.blogspot.com/

Bill

Good Luck

Hello and Welcome!

Sounds like you’re carrying much on your shoulders, but it also sounds like you are determined and not afraid of hard work. Good for you and keep working towards your goal.

While I don’t know much about the chances of getting into medical school from a nursing background (there are several folks who post on this site with nursing backgrounds which shows it is entirely possible), I do understand about needing to work to support a family. Your post mentions that you can’t go 8 years without working. Does this mean that you’re planning on working as nurse while attending medical school? (don’t know if it’s possible for anyone to hold down a job like that and attend medical school) Or that you’re going to school for two years to obtain the credentials to start a job in nursing, so you can work while you’re finishing up your last two years, while doubling your credits to finish your pre-reqs? Maybe I have misunderstood, but neither of these plans sounds very do-able. But there are definitely other ways to make this happen.

Your location says Dotham, AL. Alabama has some great public universities and is also in need of physicians, especially in underserved, rural parts of the state. Alabama has some fantastic loan programs for future rural primary care physicians that will take away some of the financial worry once you reach medical school. What about finding work with a flexible schedule that will allow you to start out at one of the local community colleges (isn’t Troy State in Dotham?), pursuing a degree in a subject that you are passionate about, then transferring to one of the 4 year schools? Or even getting your two year degree in nursing, as you planned, working as an LPN, then tranferring to a 4 year school to work towards a degree in a program you love, while working on your pre-reqs? You could do this on a part time basis, but it will take you more than two years. As many others have pointed out, slow and steady wins the race.

Additionally, there are programs through both Tuscaloosa and Auburn that provide a special curriculum for your fourth undergraduate year and guarantee admission to UAB once you’re admitted to the program, as long as you complete the requirements. These programs are for people interested in primary care fields in rural areas.

Just some food for thought. Where there’s a will, there’s a way. So keep on-- but check out all your options. Getting a BA/BS and taking the pre-req course work is a difficult venture in and of itself. It will help to be learning about something you love and that passion will help convince the admissions committees down the road that medicine is truly your calling. Good luck and keep us posted!

• betterlate Said:
While I don't know much about the chances of getting into medical school from a nursing background (there are several folks who post on this site with nursing backgrounds which shows it is entirely possible), I do understand about needing to work to support a family. Your post mentions that you can't go 8 years without working. Does this mean that you're planning on working as nurse while attending medical school? (don't know if it's possible for anyone to hold down a job like that and attend medical school) Or that you're going to school for two years to obtain the credentials to start a job in nursing, so you can work while you're finishing up your last two years, while doubling your credits to finish your pre-reqs? Maybe I have misunderstood, but neither of these plans sounds very do-able. But there are definitely other ways to make this happen.

I am at Wallace Community College now in Dothan. I start my Nursing Curriculum in the fall.

BSN Mobility programs give you bachelors in 3 semesters and they can be done online. I can do the online coursework then finish up my sciences at school.

• In reply to:
Your location says Dotham, AL. Alabama has some great public universities and is also in need of physicians, especially in underserved, rural parts of the state. Alabama has some fantastic loan programs for future rural primary care physicians that will take away some of the financial worry once you reach medical school. What about finding work with a flexible schedule that will allow you to start out at one of the local community colleges (isn't Troy State in Dotham?), pursuing a degree in a subject that you are passionate about, then transferring to one of the 4 year schools? Or even getting your two year degree in nursing, as you planned, working as an LPN, then tranferring to a 4 year school to work towards a degree in a program you love, while working on your pre-reqs? You could do this on a part time basis, but it will take you more than two years. As many others have pointed out, slow and steady wins the race.

I don't have the credit right now to get a loan. I also plan on moving to Tennessee when I get my associates. I want to get my BSN through Lincoln Memorial College. That is also where I want to attend medical school.

Well, it sounds like you have already made up your mind on how to go about this. I wish you the best of luck. One last suggestion-- have you talked to the folks at Lincoln DeBusk about your plan? They are very nice–I applied there this fall–and would probably be very helpful to you. Again, good luck!

?

• fullitaliandmr Said:
You wont make it because you already stated that you do not want to be a nurse. Why are you wasting YEARS getting the BSN then??? Sounds to me like you are choosing medicine just because you think that it will make you rich.....THINK AGAIN

I have no desire to be rich. I want to be a doctor and work in the Cumberland Gap in Tennessee. It is what I have wanted to do since I was 14.

And I and not wasting YEARS getting my BSN. I will have my BSN in 3 years. I am getting my BSN because last time I checked you had to have a Bachelors to get into med. school.

I am becoming a nurse because like I have ALREADY SAID I need to be able to work.

God... learn how to read.

I think that, with such limited information, it’s easy to read too much into what somebody says on a forum like this. Especially in situations like this, I think it’s really important to maintain the respectful and non-judgemental environment that we enjoy here at OPM.

And hello, hello - I like the screen name . Interestingly, I stumbled across this forum with a question very similar to yours. In my case, it wouldn’t have made sense to pursue a degree that was not what I wanted, simply for the perceived degree of job security (and, in my case, somewhat hedging my bets as well). I work in mental health now, and I’ll be attending med school in the fall.

It’s hard for me to tell (limited information, and all), but you seem very motivated to serve the underserved. That’s great! I might caution you against pinning your hopes to one particular school or even region. That’s not to say it’s impossible (I believe Dr. Mary Renard limited her options in such a way), but it’s, well… limiting. It’s also important to note that you won’t be able to work during med school.

It seems that your plan has you working towards your nursing degree that you’ll be able to employ only for the few years you complete your pre-reqs and apply. Only you can answer whether that’s the best path for you. Either way, good luck with it!

• hello nurse Said:
  • betterlate Said:

I am at Wallace Community College now in Dothan. I start my Nursing Curriculum in the fall.

BSN Mobility programs give you bachelors in 3 semesters and they can be done online. I can do the online coursework then finish up my sciences at school.

• In reply to:

I don't have the credit right now to get a loan. I also plan on moving to Tennessee when I get my associates. I want to get my BSN through Lincoln Memorial College. That is also where I want to attend medical school.

I would check out the online BSN stuff and if it will Be OK with medical schools?

Also the loan thing? Student loans are not credit based and if your credit rating is below 650 then you need to work on this and get it above that.

Medical students do qualify for more money then other students.

Welcome, hello nurse!

I totally understand your concerns about needing to work and feeling that a nursing degree is a good options. I have a few concerns about your plan, though.

First, as others have mentioned, medical schools do tend to frown upon people who go the nursing route with the intentions of going straight to medical school, due to the shortage of nurses and the shortage of nursing school grads. I believe they tend to be more accepting of career changer nurses who can clearly articulate why they wish to switch from nursing to medicine.

Also mentioned, you most likely will not be working much, if at all, in medical school. I do know some people who have managed a few hours of parttime work on breaks or vacations during med 1 and med 2, but it is not possible to work during med 3 and med 4. You probably will not be able to work enough to cover even living expenses, let alone any portion of your tuition. You are eligible to borrow living expenses for medical school - it is assumed that medical students cannot work.

Why not just do the associates portion and then work as a nurse while pursuing whatever degree you want? I find it difficult to believe that you are going to be able to find much time for working while doubling up on classes to complete the BSN and pre-reqs at the same time. Clinicals can be very time intensive. I also think it will be hard to complete the BSN and the med school pre-reqs in three semesters. While I understand your pursuing the associates portion to have job prospects while completing a four year degree, I don’t see that pursuing a BSN, especially when you have no interest in nursing, is a great plan if medical school is your plan.

As others have mentioned, you should be eligible for federal loans irregardless of your credit history at most schools. As a single mom, you should also be eligible for some grant money. If the school you are planning to attend is not eligible for federal loan programs, you may want to do some more investigating and find a program that is eligible and do some pro/con analysis.

What most concerns me is that you’re not that interested in nursing. What if you don’t get into medical school? I’m not at all saying that you aren’t going to be a competitive candidate when you get to that point, but there are many students every year who don’t know what to do when they don’t get in to medical school. I think if I were in your shoes and pretty convinced that nursing isn’t what I wanted to do with my life, I would pursue my bachelor’s in something that I DO have interest in doing. That way, if you don’t get into medical school, you aren’t stuck with a BSN that is going to be of limited help in finding a different career.

Since you are just starting on this path, be open to suggestions and advice and take time to investigate as many options as you can. Don’t get yourself so locked into one path that you can’t see other pathways that might also get you to your ultimate goal.

Good luck!

?

?

• fullitaliandmr Said:
Why are you all pampering this person???

I don't consider it pampering. The purpose of OPM is to provide a supportive environment for non-traditionals to get information and advice about the path to med school. Most people come here for that aspect, not to be beat down and told that their ideas are idiotic - we've already heard that from family, friends, pre-med advisors, etc.

I don't think I've seen anybody here tell the OP "Gee, that's a great plan". Most of us have expressed some concern about her plan in one way or another. There is such a thing as diplomacy.

There is no need to make judgments on her or her fiance/husband. We don't have enough information or know her well enough to do that. I know many people who haven't worked for awhile because any jobs they could find paid less than they were getting on unemployment after being laid off of their old job. By the time you pay for childcare and gas, sometimes the pay being offered just isn't worth it.