OK...I matched

I just wish I knew where! Man, this whole waiting process is killing me!!!
Jane

Deep breaths, Jane. Meditation. Waterfalls. Gentle spring rains. Ahhhhhh. That’s better.

Now. Before you know it, Match day will be here!! Hang in there!

Quote:

I just wish I knew where! Man, this whole waiting process is killing me!!!
Jane

Damned SWEEEEEEEET!

Congrats. Not too much longer to wait to find out where
I haven’t gotten any frantic phone calls from my wife today, so I’m assuming that means she matched too. But I’m starting to get anxious as well now - her top 2 choices were in Chicago, and staying there would be best for us on pretty much every level. Her next few were all out of state though, and besides leaving friends and family behind, that would make my continuing pre-med and app. process rather nightmarish
Thursday cannot get here fast enough

“ucjames,” what specialty is your wife matching in?

Internal Medicine. She did get the “congrats, you matched” email yesterday, so now we’re just waiting to find out where.

Give her my best from someone else in that very stressful boat! 47 hours and counting…
Jane

Congrats Jane and to ucjames wife. I matched too. I’m interested in finding out where I’m going, but I’m much calmer about it then I anticipated I’d be-- I think I’ll be happy at any of my choices. I’m just so busy getting stuff done that I have to have in by this week (cap and gown order, yearbook stuff, I arranged our catering order for Match Day lunch, and, oh yeah, I’m on Senior Surgery) that I don’t have time to dwell.

Of course, I’m not sure I’ll sleep much tomorrow night

Good luck to all.

Woohoo! My wife matched at Rush here in Chicago, which was her number one choice (she’s a student there now). No more worrying about leaving everyone behind. No more worrying about looking into new schools for prereqs. Time to start worrying about deposits on finally buying a place
I hope things worked out well for epi and Jane. Be sure to let us know

YES!!! Got my #1 choice and I’m heading to Grand Junction, CO. Wooohooo!!! Yeah, baby!!!
Jane

Tell your wife CONGRATULATIONS!!! And, as her every present support person–best wishes to both of you. What a relief to know you don’t have to move far away to finish out her residency years.
Lu

WAY TO GO, JANE!!! Best of luck in Grand Junction. Colorado is a great state in which to live. Congratulations on getting your #1 choice!!!
Lu

Quote:

YES!!! Got my #1 choice and I’m heading to Grand Junction, CO. Wooohooo!!! Yeah, baby!!!
Jane

Hey Jane,
Congratulations! I spent some quality time in Grand Junction, CO back in the 70s. I am sure that it has changed but it was a great place to be then and surely it still is. I am so happy for you.
Natalie

To Jane and to UCJames wife: CONGRATULATIONS!!
And Jane, I’ll talk to you later. Can’t wait to find out more about Grand Junction. In the meantime, relish the moment and have a great time!!
Linda

Matched in Internal Medicine at Mayo-Scottsdale! I’m pretty happy today. Now to think about moving, and revamping my “never gets much above the 80s in the summer wardrobe”!
Famdoc-- One of my classmates matched in FP at Grand Junction. She’s delighted. She’s a great person, so you can be assured that you have AT LEAST one great colleague there (and I’m sure more!).

Congratulations to both of you!
On the way home for a brief nap before the evening round of Match Day parties I got a call offering me the job I applied for a few weeks ago tutoring/T.A.'ing in gen chem and gen bio at a local community college. It will fit in beautifully with my difficult class schedule, and should help me keep on top of things in chem and bio while I take the rest of my prereqs before next year’s MCAT.
I really don’t think this could possibly be a better day right now

Congrats, ucjames! That’s great news. Epidoc, I’m so excited that your classmate will be in residency with me. I have another friend with another classmate who matched there as well. Looks like we’ll have a great intern class. Yay!
Jane

Thanks, Natalie and Linda. You both know you’ll always have a place to stay if you’re out in GJ!
Jane

I matched for Peliminary Medicine at the Univ of Maryland- my first choice. I had interviewed at several of the local community programs, which have a reputation for being more cush for prelim year. However, in the end, I chose the more rigorous university program. Ask me in a year if I still think this is a good idea

My pre-lim year at the Univ of Iowa was a guaranteed match, but my husband can’t leave Baltimore until July 2007. We decided that I would try to match into a prelim here in Baltimore. I still ranked Iowa on my list because I would rather have been apart for a year than go unmatched. While it would have been nice to spend my prelim year in the same hospital where I will be doing my neuro residency to become familiar with the system, I am hoping to adjust quickly.

Epidoc- one of my classmates is heading out to Mayo-Scottsdale for IM. He’s a super-nice guy, a hard worker and very smart. He sat next to me in lecture during the first two years. I will definitely miss having him around next year.

Congrats everyone!!

Quote:

While it would have been nice to spend my prelim year in the same hospital where I will be doing my neuro residency to become familiar with the system, I am hoping to adjust quickly.

Tara, do NOT worry. Speaking from my FP intern experience, which was almost all inpatient on 5 (!) different services, you learn how to pick stuff up VERY quickly. During your prelim year you’ll switch from cards to unit to medicine to… whatever sorts of things your program dishes out. Every month you will have a new sort of system to figure out - okay, the computer stuff will be the same, and you’ll figure out where radiology is, but for me the big challenge was learning how to instantly become a functioning member of a team in a new environment. Medicine teams were very different from ICU teams. Cardiology, though an ICU sort of environment, was NOT the ICU. And so on. By the end of your intern year you will be so dang good at adapting that you will feel comfortable striding into pretty much any ol’ place and getting right to work. You’ll be fine.
Congratulations to everybody! We are happy at my program, too - we filled and have a terrific class to look forward to.
Mary