old man needs emotional support

Hi. First post. The good news is that I managed to get into a DO program (albeit out of state) in my fifties. The other good news is that my spouse supports me emotionally in this endeavor.

The bad news is that I’m terrified. I feel old, fearful of money concerns, and will need to move very quickly.

Uh… can someone assist with some sort of positive stories of people doing this in their fifties?

As you might expect, not everyone is thinking this is wise. I definitely want to proceed. But, my concerns re. residencies, finding work… they seem reasonable.

Bit of cold feet.

Quixote,

Congrats! You are awesome! You are my hero. I am also 50 y/o and I would love to be in your shoes. Best of luck - you can DO this

Kathleen

If you got accepted, it tells me 2 things: 1)the school is obviously confident in your abilities, and 2) you want it bad enough to jump out at 50. Surround yourself with positive people and messages of people who’ve overcame similarly fearful challenges in life. Who wants to look back in regret?! Do it. I have a patient in a clinical trial that’s 85 and still practicing. I know fear is very real. I am slowly stepping down from a lucrative, but unfulfilling career of almost 20 years! Its very scary, and I felt crazy when my boss asked me my age and aspirations. I believe in me whether he does or not. Do the same. Go for it! Living your passion and positively changing 1 life forever is worth it to me~! Life is school and will happen regardless of the age. Why is medicine any different?! All the best to you…from 1 old pre-med to another…

Who cares what others think! You’re in your fifties…so? Money concerns will be there until you start to interview for attending positions and you realize that there is plenty of money out there. A physician is not going to go broke…unless they live way above their means AND get divorced. So continue with what got you into med school, work hard, live passionately, and stay married and you’ll be fine.

“Others” live lives of quiet desperation and get very upset when someone else is fighting for, scrounging for, sacrificing for their dream. You are making “others” look bad by refusing to settle, so fight on. Leave any issues you have about your age behind and charge forward!

Dude…YOU HAVE BEEN ACCEPTED TO MEDICAL SCHOOL! Revel in that and then hit the books with gusto!

http://youtu.be/mgmVOuLgFB0

Quixote -

Don’t be deceived by my signature. I can’t figure out how to change my profile, but I’m actually 57, and will be graduating in less than a month from DO school!!

Congrats on getting in.

Regarding finances - I financed the whole thing on student loans. Hoped for a NHSC scholarship, applied every year, but did not receive one. So, I’m looking at loan repayment or loan forgiveness doing primary care in an underserved area (what I’m planning to do ANYWAY). I was free from debt other than on my house when I started. Took a LONG time to sell my house and I made no profit, but at least it is off my plate!

Regarding moving soon - I would advise minimizing your belongings. I stored some of my library and my china /silver with my mom. Got rid of almost all my furniture - kept 2 LR chairs and a coffee table, a desk, dining room table, bed, bedside table, lamp. That’s mainly it. Some garage stuff on two garage storage shelf units. One large and 2 small bookcases. That adds up to fitting in a 1 bedroom apt. Planning to expand a bit once I hit residency. Also rented a 2 bedroom apt for clinical years --ended up liking having a separate studying room (that could double as a guestroom).

Regarding learning “all this stuff” at 50+, I think exercise can actually increase your learning capacity. Just try to be flexible in trying new learning strategies if the “tried and true” don’t work for that subject.

Applied for 12 residency programs, got 9 interviews. Yes, they’ll consider you at an advanced age, except perhaps for surgical residencies. There are a number of things you can do to maximize your chances of matching to your resideny of choice. Really, though, being geographically flexible can help you.

My medical school debt is horrendous. However, I plan on filing for “income-based repayment” so I should be able to make the payments and still afford to live during residency. I was truthfully rather concerned about the hours -I’m walking to build up my stamina. Also, some programs are more “humane” than others, and I believe I’ll be able to get thru the residency I’ve picked.

I feel that if it’s right for you, you’ll find a way to do it. I had several interviewers at different residencies talk about how they would like to have me because of my years of work experience. They said for many residents, it is their first real full-time job. They have to learn about showing up on time, responsibility, working in a team environment, etc. Stuff you and I have been doing for years, likely!!

Best wishes! Keep us updated on how your first year goes!

Kate

Don’t sweat it Quixote, I’m going to be a 50 something MD/PhD student!

• croooz Said:
Who cares what others think! You're in your fifties...so? Money concerns will be there until you start to interview for attending positions and you realize that there is plenty of money out there. A physician is not going to go broke...unless they live way above their means AND get divorced. So continue with what got you into med school, work hard, live passionately, and stay married and you'll be fine.

"Others" live lives of quiet desperation and get very upset when someone else is fighting for, scrounging for, sacrificing for their dream. You are making "others" look bad by refusing to settle, so fight on. Leave any issues you have about your age behind and charge forward!

Dude....YOU HAVE BEEN ACCEPTED TO MEDICAL SCHOOL! Revel in that and then hit the books with gusto!

http://youtu.be/mgmVOuLgFB0

Way to go. You are never too old to pursure a dream. I started med school at age 47 and am starting my residency next month at age 52

Congratulations!! I’m finishing my 3rd year at KCUMB and am 48. I found that I got along great with all my younger classmates but my stamina wasn’t quite the same as theirs. Good luck and feel free to ask us any questions you might have!

Lynda

hehe - I’m 51 and starting my medical school late in the semester in Italy…I just had my retirement ceremony last week from the USAF Reserves after thirty years…I’m scared but figure it will keep me busy for awhile and most of my friends and colleagues are inspired by me…I just want to make sure my mind is intellectually challenged. In any case, you will do fine and I’m willing to bet the profs will find you a breath of fresh air…

I remember my Spanish teacher saying: Poco a poco se va muy lejos - little by little we go very far…you will look back in four years and wonder where it all went…good luck and may the wind be at your back…B

Dear MWohlson:

Hang in there. Take a step at a time.

Hi,
I would like to speak to an older students and learn from thier experience while applying for medical school,
I am in my 50’s and had only 48 hrs pre-requist done out of 90
Needed some suport and assurance that it is possible.

thank you,
Laila

Very cool! I’ll be starting med school in my mid 30’s, and I feel like an old lady compared to how young my classmates will be.

On the flip side, I think back to when I started work as an attorney a few years ago and people assumed I was the secretary because I looked young, so it was a constant uphill battle to overcome assumptions. So now I’m looking forward to maybe looking like I “belong” in a hospital as a doctor by the time I finish med school and residency (in my 40’s or later- yikes!) and have a few grey hairs.

So I’d say: focus on the good! Make the most of your experiences and maturity. And congrats on your acceptance! I think it’s great to keep chasing your dreams and striving for more instead of retiring, which seems like a sad proposition for someone who’s not ready to stop learning and working.

P.S. some of my brightest law school classmates were in their 50’s or older (retired cop and retired surgeon) and they did great in school and now have the jobs they wanted so badly.