Personal statement, character count and such..

Well I finally finished my personal statement and I am very happy with it. I let a few others read over it who gave me some pointers on how to improve it which I took and made it better. My question is about its length. It is a total of 858 words. I don’t know how the character count fits in with the limit of 5000 or so for the TMDSAS application. The statement is made up of 8 paragraphs. I am planning to seperate each by one space. Do you think that it will all fit and I will come in under the character limit?

On the Amcas, it automatically deleted the spacing i used to for seperation of the paragraphs. My word count was 649 which equated to 3671 characters out of 5300 usable characters

Hope that helps

Yeah that helps. Looks like 5.7 characters per word more or less making it roughly 4890 characters for me. Sounds good!!

In my version of word (the latest I think), if I go to the review tab and select word count it also provides me with character counts, both with and without spaces.

Lynda

I am guessing spaces counth then?

• en0920 Said:
I am guessing spaces counth then?

Yes

Darn all I get is word count; I don’t see where I can find out the character count…I have Microsoft Word-don’t know the version.

I have Microsoft Office Word 2007

I had an older version of Word and couldn’t get a character count either. So I copied and pasted into the application as a trial (didn’t save it), it told me how many characters I had…then I deleted it, cut it down, tried again. 4 revisions and it was short enough. Looked it over, rewrote it somemore, came up with a version that was tight and to the point and fit in. Maybe that was using a hammer on a non-nail problem, but it got my essay to fit in the “hole”

Kate

• Kate429 Said:
I had an older version of Word and couldn't get a character count either. So I copied and pasted into the application as a trial (didn't save it), it told me how many characters I had...then I deleted it, cut it down, tried again. 4 revisions and it was short enough. Looked it over, rewrote it somemore, came up with a version that was tight and to the point and fit in. Maybe that was using a hammer on a non-nail problem, but it got my essay to fit in the "hole"

Kate

Heyyyyyyyy I just might try that!! Thanks...