Physics Content on MCAT

I am planning to apply to three Canadian schools that don’t require the MCAT at the end of next summer. However, one of these three schools requires the verbal section of the MCAT only (don’t ask why). So I am thinking of trying the MCAT next summer. However, I will not have taken physics yet. My plan is to take physics I and II during the application year, and apply to other schools the following year if I don’t get into any of the three. My top choice school, as well as the school I believe I would be most likely to get into are both among these three which, is why I thought it would be worth attempting the MCAT before taking physics.

So…my question is:

How much physics is on the MCAT? I have taken mechanics a while ago. And I am not very inclined toward physics. Thanks!

I am trying to prepare on my own and am finishing physics. I can say that I am the kind of guy very good with physics and numbers. This is a lot of material. Unless you are comfortable and very good with numbers, I would recommend you take physics, or at least plan a solid 5 weeks working on your own (which is about the time it took me, with a part time job, kids and school) to study Phys I and II.

FYI, I have asked a teacher if I could take the final for Physics I (although I am not enrolled), just to put myself to the test. If I score well enough, I will have a case for taking both Phys I and II during next semester.

I would like to hear from anyone who has taken the MCAT is there is much physics on it. I have heard there was not that much, and that most of the physics was what you would take in chemistry anyway.

Please note – I have NOT taken the MCAT.

However, I have heard (and strongly believe) that it IS important to have taken both semesters of a physics class to do well on the PS section. (Or at least, to know the topics covered in both semesters of a year-long physics series.)

But my evidence is not only hearsay.

Here is a direct quotation from the AAMC’s Web site:

How much physics do I need to know?

Topics also include mechanics, wave motion, electricity and magnetism, light and optics, and modern physics. You should be prepared to apply your knowledge of these concepts to experimental situations. You will also need to be familiar with the conventions of problem solving in physics.

There is a reason you’re supposed to have taken physics before taking the MCAT: they test you on your knowledge of the subject matter.

I wouldn’t take the MCAT without a good knowledge of physics, but that’s just my opinion.

I remember quite a bit of physics. But you can settle that in your own mind by taking one of the three free practice online mcat’s from the MCAT web site. That will swiftly show you the type of physics questions to expect.

Kate

There is not that MUCH physics, but you don’t know ahead of time WHICH physics there will be. That’s why you have to study it. You can take a couple of practice tests to review. But you have to take the prerequisites for med school anyway, as well as the MCAT, and I can’t see any point in going into the MCAT underprepared–especially if you are not very inclined towards physics. A bad MCAT score will stay with you and if your plans and your prospects for application change you’ll have to improve upon it and explain it.

Not a good gamble in my opinion.