Post Bac vs. 2nd undergrad

Hello I’m new to this site, and I was wondering if anyone could offer advise, or knows someone I could talk to.

I graduated with a BFA cum laude in 2001 and served in the US Peace Corps 2002-2004 as a health ed volunteer. While there, I decided that I want to be a doctor. Having said that, I graduated 10 years ago. In the mean time, I’ve taken calculus and physics. I also volunteer at a local Hospital which I would do regardless.

Since a BFA doesn’t require any science credits, I’m at a loss without a Post-Bac program or going back and getting a BS. I did apply to a Post-Bac program at Goucher. (no word yet)While I’m hopeful, I also want to look at a back-up plan/alternative paths to a MD/MPH.

I feel like since my undergrad is a BFA (non ivy) they won’t take me seriously. My big question is: Would getting a BS be the best path? I’m interested in Epidemiology/Infectious Diseases, and even a MPH in those fields requires the sciences. I talked to an admissions person at UMD a few years back and she told me that I needed a formal post-bac.

Any advise would be great. Thank you!!!

Hello and welcome. While formal post-bacc programs are designed for people who do not have previous exposure to the pre-medical sciences, they aren’t necessary. The class line-up is really simple and you have to take the same classes wherever you go. So, if it’s more cost-effective to go to a solid state school, you can do what’s called a DIY (Do It Yourself) post-bacc where you just enroll for the classes you need.

In your case, it looks like you’ll need 1 year of General Biology, 1 year of General Chemistry, and 1 year of Organic Chemistry. That covers the pre-med requirements (along with your Physics and Calculus). Oh, and they all need to be taken with labs, so hopefully you did that with Physics already.

With so simple a class set, a formal post-bacc program isn’t really necessary to get the right classes. What they CAN help with is getting into medical school if a particular formal program has a linkage to one or more medical schools. I think Goucher does, but you would know better than I. That said, I know a couple formal programs with linkages that have some pretty fierce competition between the students since the classes I mentioned are graded on a curve at many places. That means you have a group of highly dedicated, intelligent people from other fields who all want to ace the same set of basic classes. The curve can be intense.

Formal programs are expensive too compared to a DIY at a state school, but if you can afford it and it has good linkages, it might be a good idea as long as you can ace your classes.

I don’t see the point in a second undergraduate degree. Med schools just want to see that basic set of science classes, regardless of whatever else you studied. Your BFA will help you stand out against all the dime-a-dozen Biology majors in the applicant pool, so as long as you get high grades in the basic sciences, your degree won’t be a problem.

By the way, a DIY post-bacc, being cheaper, may also allow you to take some upper-level sciences like Genetics and Biochemistry, which are highly recommended by most medical schools and required by a very few.

Just my 2 cents, but I’m currently a post-bacc myself too, so maybe a current med student or doctor on the forum can clarify and add something to this.

Sounds like you are already talking yourself down

• In reply to:
I feel like since my undergrad is a BFA (non ivy) they won’t take me seriously

Med schools are NOT just looking for Ivy League science majors! Your time in the Peace Corps as a health ed volunteer can certainly get you a serious look.

http://services.aamc.org/postbac/ is the site for looking up postbacc programs. I'm not sure about the Hopkins or Goucher programs, but Georgetown University and American University have certificate programs (looks like about 2 years). In Virginia, the non-masters programs are at Edward Via (VCOM) and at UVA. I did the UVA one, and like that one because it is VERY well supported by the faculty, gives you just what you need, in 1 year, and you can substitute some upper level bio courses for the physics course. A lot of my classmates were former Peace Corps...that would help you get admission as they are looking for people with the ethical commitment to service that will make good doctors.

You could look into colleges closer to you that offer the courses you need - don't neglect smaller private colleges as it may be easier to get into the classes. McDaniel College's biology dept has an excellent reputation with Univ. of Md's med school, at least (my uncle used to teach in the med school).

Hope some of those suggestions are helpful. You really do NOT need a second bachelor's degree, or a master's degree, to be competitive.

Kate

I agree with Kate. If med schools were only looking for Ivy League science majors, we’d all be in trouble (well, most of us)! I personally have a degree in Journalism from a well-known and competitive state school, and I believe with the science classes I’m taking at my post-bac program, volunteering, shadowing, researching, etc., I’ll be just fine. (That and a good MCAT score, of course.)

In terms of a post-bac versus a DIY route, it’s up to you and your preferences. (I also agree that a second bachelor’s degree is absolutely NOT necessary.) I’m going the formal post-bac route myself, and finding the structure, advising help, etc. very helpful. Not to mention I’m surrounded by a bunch of other people in the same boat – other non-traditional students. But as a previous poster said, the formal route is MUCH more expensive than the DIY route.

Whichever way you go, though, you should try to take some upper-level science courses if you can (in addition to the basic requirements). This could be biochem, genetics, microbio, immunology, etc. These can help your application, and also help prepare you for med school.

Best wishes!

• terra_incognita Said:
I agree with Kate. If med schools were only looking for Ivy League science majors, we'd all be in trouble (well, most of us)! I personally have a degree in Journalism from a well-known and competitive state school, and I believe with the science classes I'm taking at my post-bac program, volunteering, shadowing, researching, etc., I'll be just fine. (That and a good MCAT score, of course.)

In terms of a post-bac versus a DIY route, it's up to you and your preferences. (I also agree that a second bachelor's degree is absolutely NOT necessary.) I'm going the formal post-bac route myself, and finding the structure, advising help, etc. very helpful. Not to mention I'm surrounded by a bunch of other people in the same boat -- other non-traditional students. But as a previous poster said, the formal route is MUCH more expensive than the DIY route.

Whichever way you go, though, you should try to take some upper-level science courses if you can (in addition to the basic requirements). This could be biochem, genetics, microbio, immunology, etc. These can help your application, and also help prepare you for med school.

Best wishes!

In addition to the previous comments by RichardH, Kate429 & terra, since you are interested in MPH and since you do have a BFA, you may want to consider supplementing your science courses with a few social science courses.

Depending on the school, you may find courses in the sociology department (medical sociology) psychology (psychology of aging), economics (health care costs) or political science (health care policy). I did a DIY post-bacc at a school that also had a community health major (basically, an undergraduate public health degree) and they offered the whole range of epidemiology, statistics, etc.

While getting a second BS is typically unneeded, taking that route as a tactic to do a DIY post-bacc may help. Often non-matriculated students get last priority on class registration, so declaring a major and registering as a full student as if your are going to get a second degree is a tactic to get class placement, prehealth advising, etc. You do not need to complete it.

Though uncommon, for some students planning to complete the second degree can be a helpful strategy in a few situations:

1) planning to take significant number of course above standard prereqs.

If you need to take several add'l higher level science courses (typically advanced bio) and have an interest/need to take courses in other areas, it may be worth the time and effort to go the extra year to finish a degree. This may be a useful strategy if you have significant "grade baggage" and/or need demonstrate to commitment.

2) Improving your second chances.

If you apply for medical school in effectively the 3rd year of a second degree and you continue in the fourth year, especially if you a weaker candidate, it would keep you on the preparation track if you get rejected. If you have stopped school & MCAT prep, thinking they were behind you, it can be a difficult psychological hurdle to restart. If you are already on your fourth year when you get rejected, you may be in several advanced bio courses, thus potentially improving grades and showing commitment on your subsequent application. This can also be done for MCAT. If you have gotten an to good MCAT score but you continue to prep and practice, imagine a 2 to 4 point increase on the second taking and how that would bolster your chances an a second application.

3) prepping for plan B.

It used to be a standard question at medical school interviews what you would do if you do not get in. I am assuming from your case that you want to change careers and get into an MPH program. Thus a second degree over your BFA may be quite helpful in that regard.

An aside here. Until post-bacc programs became popular, many students took MPH thinking it would help their chances in getting in medical school. They were wrong as these students typically thought it would overcome poorer academic records. Even in your case with a different motivation, getting an MPH then directly trying for medical school may be a long shot. If you get a specific professional degree such as MPH, RN, etc, med schools want to see work in the field for a few years instead of jumping into medical school application immediately.

Having said all that I could see you getting a MPH first and then presenting a compelling, concise, and committed application to the adcoms. BUT, this would not be my first recommendation.

In sum

*you have excellent original BFA grades

*your peace corps experience shows excellent commitment

*you will likely have good post-bacc grades (whether DIY or formal)

*you will take, like most nontrads, some advanced biology above and beyond the required prereqs.

*you should consider some social science courses to bolster MPH goal (not vital but useful)

*you prep and do well on MCAT (absolutely vital)

I think you will make an excellent candidate so remove this FUD (fear, uncertainty and doubt) and get going!