Pre-Med courses at Community College

Hi Everyone, I am new to the site and have found the topics very helpful. I am 37 years and currently taking my pre requisite courses at a community college. I already have a bachelors degree from a university in Africa. I wish to enquire whether I would be placed at a disadvantage when applying to med schools because the pre-requisite courses are being taken at a community collge? I have spoken to a number of medical schools and the feedback is that it does not matter.

Since you have been in contact w/ medical schools I think that their advice is the most relevant for you. I have also contacted several schools who have told me the same thing. If you need to take upper level science classes you may have to do them at a 4 year school. There are differing opinions about this topic and if you read all the different post about it you might get a little confused and discouraged. Stay in contact w/ the schools you’re interested in about your progress. Hope this helps.

Quite honestly, I have heard a few things on the subject. Some school just say that they discourage it (like my top choice) and others that it doesn’t matter too much as long as you get As.

I had no choice but to take my pre-reqs at a CC. This was the only option available to me, more than for schedule reason than money. In the end, CC is better than nothing. I also would tend to believe that a 4.0 in a CC is perhaps as respectable, if not more than a 3.7 at a 4 years. But this is my opinion and not an affirmative statement.

And keep in mind the MCAT. All in all, it is an equalizer and if you do well enough on the MCAT, I would believe that where you took your pre-reqs (assuming decent grades), will not matter as much.

If I may, and although it is not the purpose of your question, I think for you, one of the challenges (aside from being a permanent resident or a citizen), will be the evaluation of your foreign coursework.

I took my coursework in France, and TMDSAS, and likely many schools, will require a credential evaluation of your foreign coursework, although no credit is given to you for the coursework.

This has been a terrible process for me and took 6 months to complete, with a flight to France necessary.

I would suggest, that you start this now and surely do not wait till the last minute to do that. I don’t know where in Africa (by the way I am from Morocco), but this might be challenging, as some evaluators require transcript to be sent directly from the institution (that’s why I had to go to France, because they give no copy. I brought my own original, that they copied and sent to the institution - Crazy!).

When I do my applications this summer, I will be submitting transcripts from at least 5 institutions, ranging from Oregon to Michigan. there’ll be some CC classes in there. There will be red flags everywhere. (imagine used car sales lot!). But, I’ve got a narrative for why this is. I can show that I wasn’t shopping for grades, and what I did, I did well, including recommendations.

If I can couple that with a decent MCAT, well, then maybe I’ll be ok. And I think the same is true for you. Good luck.

It depends on the School. I attended a UCSF Premed workshop and the Admission Director mentioned that they accept classes from community colleges. The only issue is that CC is limited with the advanced/upper division sciences you can take which are required for medical school. This is why going to a 4 year school is more beneficial.

• Ender Said:
Hi Everyone, I am new to the site and have found the topics very helpful. I am 37 years and currently taking my pre requisite courses at a community college. I already have a bachelors degree from a university in Africa. I wish to enquire whether I would be placed at a disadvantage when applying to med schools because the pre-requisite courses are being taken at a community collge? I have spoken to a number of medical schools and the feedback is that it does not matter.

The majority of US medical schools require 90 undergraduate credit hours to be earned at a US or Canadian Institution (graduate degrees are not a substitute. some will accept a 30 credit. Also note that some will not accept foreign degrees at all.

More importantly a majority of schools will only accept citizens and permanent residents. i know you didnt mention that as an issue, but be aware of that. Some schools that do accept foreign nationals but require upfront payment for all 4 years of medical school; johns hopkin requires $300,000 (usually done as a Line of Credit).

Having a foreign degree will likely put you at a disadvantage and CC will do as well (though it could be minor to major negative depending on the school).

You need to research each school and find out what ones u can target

TY so much for this as I’m 42 and in Pre-Med classes … I wonder half the time if this is a waste of time. However, when I talk about my passion-

being a Missions Dr. it brings tears to my eyes every time …

Ty again for your post …

-Jolie

Jolie -

I know what you mean. My passion is doing family practice in a small town - taking care of a community, but also doing short term medical missions. Keep persevering. Remember that development of your perseverence as well as your medical knowledge and skill will be required for you to succeed in your calling.

Kate