prereqs too old? 20 years after undergrad old premed

HI everyone
I was wondering if someone has some experience on this. I am a solid science person. I did undergrad bio all pre-reqs covered with excellent grades(A and Bs). The thing is that I just realized that was 20 years ago. I got transcript on hand and yes, 20 years have passed. However, in between that and now I have gotten two MS one in biomedical engineering and one as a terminal MS (dropped out of PHD program in biophysics/physiology) and now I am working in medical device company as an engineer. I would say my I feel comfy in my grades despite the age. Now wondering if there is some sort of statute of limitations on pre requeqs. I am planning on applying next year. Currently prepping for MCAT and getting clinical experience. Will admissions committees care if I took these courses 20 years ago? Or maybe they will just care my MCAT score is decent?

Well, for me they were 30 years old. I’d been working in the medical field, but had NOT had all the prereqs (second semester physics and 2nd semester organic chemistry lacking). I took a one year post bacc premed which had everything. I was VERY glad I did so. The biology content had changed tremendously, as had the labs (we were making recombinant DNA bacteria, running PCA and other tests). And having the chem, organic chem, and physics fresh undoubtedly helped markedly on the MCAT’s. The bio labs related directly to questions on MCAT’s and to medical school content. I personally think it would be VERY important and helpful to redo those courses.

Kate

Kate did I read correctly finished Residency at 60? I am 46 and seriously considering med school. I have been in health care all of my career life as paramedic, Nurse, and last 2 years as Nurse Practitioner. I would be 55- 60 when I finish, any advise?

Hi,
just saw this and wanted to say that if you want to do it, go for it. I first applied to med schools aged 48 - got accepted at age 50 and am now halfway through premed year. So its a long road ahead but who cares?! Im even more excited about this path now that Ive actually started… I’m based in Ireland so I appreciate that the US system could be different but at the same time I just wanted to encourage you to overcome any self doubt and pursue your dream. You have amazing medical experience already. And no doubt you know that this path will not be easy… but then anything worth doing never is :slight_smile:

It varies from school to school the age of prereqs that they accept. I got in with some courses 15+ years old. If there are schools you’re interested in particularly, I’d suggest getting in touch with their admissions office to find out if they will accept your coursework.