Questions about school selection and volunteer experiences!

Hello All:

I originally sent this as a PM (or at least thought I did) but I believe it might be better suited for a general discussion.

As I get set to begin my pre-med program in the fall, I have a few questions that have been burning my mind. Recent I purchased the Medical School Admissions Requirements (MSAR) book and have developed many questions. Below are the following:

1. I have begun looking at schools of interest and their requirements. Based on the the current MSAR information: the school’s mission statement, location, and cost, I have created a list of 10 or so schools. Although it is a small list, am I being somewhat presumptuous that my post-bacc stats will be stellar?

2. Currently I am shadowing the trauma team at a Level I Med Center. I want to know if I should enhance my resume with other experiences besides my work with the trauma team?

As always, thank you in advance for your time.

Hi!

The shadowing experience sounds awesome. As far as enhancing your resume, most med schools are also looking for signs of community involvement via volunteer activity. Since you are having medically related experience thru shadowing, the volunteer experience need not necessarily be medical in nature. If there is some volunteer orgnization you have been or are enthusiastic about supporting, that would be a good thing to do. Keep track of hours and a contact person for the organization (for applications).

I wouldn’t say you are unrealistic in expecting to be stellar in post-bac. A lot has to do with a mature approach to preparation - what kind of effort you have to put in when shooting for really thorough mastery o fthe material. If you use all available resources, that is reacheable.

Kate

This is awesome!!

I bet it feels good to look back and remember the doubts and fears - and now wonder why you even had them

Mastery of material doesn’t necessarily earn one good grades, as I have found out. When I was taking biochemistry, I was constantly answering the questions that the professor was throwing out in class; he was always amazed at how on the mark I was. I studied the material all the time, preread before lectures, etc. But I still got a C in his course because I was a lousy test taker; I had trouble trying to recall all the information during a test, and I read slow and couldn’t finish the tests on time.

Intelligence expresses itself in many ways; unfortunately, schools use tests as a way to discern if you have that intelligence. Some of us just do not do well on tests, no matter how much we prepare and study. But by these schools’ standards, people such as me are not smart.

You’re right of course. I actually edited myself while I was writing it, because I was going to say “while striving for an A”. I changed it, because I feel one studies a bit differently when aware one might need the material to do well in med school (bio and organic chem), or to treat patients (currently all my classes). It’s not enough for me to memorize a list of cytokines and what they do, I have to understand the immune process. Some things they may say “this won’t be on the test”, but I’m going to give a look to it anyway if it is clinically relevant.

But I definately get what you are saying.

Kate

• TJJ MD Said:

1. I have begun looking at schools of interest and their requirements. Based on the the current MSAR information: the school's mission statement, location, and cost, I have created a list of 10 or so schools. Although it is a small list, am I being somewhat presumptuous that my post-bacc stats will be stellar?

The "black box" of admissions works in mysterious ways. Besides being presumptuous on how you may do, just doing well does not guarantee getting a seat. Often adcoms try to balance a class The average medical student applies to between 12 and 20 medical schools. non-trads may need to consider a higher number than that

• TJJ MD Said:
Hello All:

I originally sent this as a PM (or at least thought I did) but I believe it might be better suited for a general discussion.

As I get set to begin my pre-med program in the fall, I have a few questions that have been burning my mind. Recent I purchased the Medical School Admissions Requirements (MSAR) book and have developed many questions. Below are the following:

1. I have begun looking at schools of interest and their requirements. Based on the the current MSAR information: the school's mission statement, location, and cost, I have created a list of 10 or so schools. Although it is a small list, am I being somewhat presumptuous that my post-bacc stats will be stellar?

2. Currently I am shadowing the trauma team at a Level I Med Center. I want to know if I should enhance my resume with other experiences besides my work with the trauma team?

• TJJ MD Said:

1. I think applying to "about" 20 schools is reasonable. Fewer than that gets "iffy" and too many more can be a burden when secondary applications arrive with essays to compose.

2. Medical schools want to see ongoing altruism (e.g. volunteering into disadvantaged populations). Being a physician is a service occupation, and AdComms want to know that you have a deep altruistic streak. Additionally, shadowing is usually seen as a *adjunct* to volunteering into a clinical environment - one where you can actually chat with patients, hear their stories, help feed them, transport them, etc. Just watching physicians do their work isn't the same.

Cheers,

Judy

Since my initial post, my potential school list has grown to 18 schools.

To clarify about my shadowing experience with the trauma service, this is a weekly assignment where I am actively involved with patients. I round with the team on the wards, take consults in the clinic, and consult in the ED.

In terms of the altruistic piece, I have been a teacher in an under-served community for the last 9 years. All of the experiences that I have had have been meaningful to me. I would want to convey to an AdCom that I have done these activities out of personal interests, not as a resume booster.

Thanks in advance!

The 9 years rather shows that!

Kate