Schools with an Expressed Community Medicine/Underserved Populations Focus?

Hi all,

I am trying to build my list of schools to apply to before my committee letter interview in a couple of weeks. I was wondering if any of you out there could help me build a list of schools with a strong, expressed commitment to community medicine. I live in NYC, but will apply elsewhere if there are some really dedicated schools out there. So far all I have are:

Rowan

Dartmouth

All state schools/many DO schools

Even though I know there are a lot of state and DO schools that seem to have a community mandate, I am looking for those particularly dedicated schools to target.

Thanks!

Go to the HRSA website and get the list of Community Health Centers/BIA health centers. Look at the addresses. If there is a med school nearby, chances are there is an arrangement with the community health center for medical students to be learning at the clinic. ALL community health centers funded by HRSA are funded for underserved populations.

NOVA has a clinic that medstudent work in for underserved.

Thanks for the replies. I was hoping for some info regarding curriculum and admissions. In fact, I believe virtually all medical schools have some community mission, but some medical schools, like Rowan, are quite dedicated to this mission. Any more feedback would be welcome!

UMDNJ School of Osteopathic Medicine in Stratford. There is the student clinic in camden NJ not to mention in the summer people go to the blueberry farms and do BP checks and glucose checks as well.

University of Kentucky in Lexington has a fairly new Rural Physician Leadership Program, designed to give extra experience and training in becoming a physician leader in community health within rural communities. Might actually include a lot of what you are looking for.

I applied in 2010 and that was the opening year so they have had 2 years to get the kinks out. Sounded very interesting.

Kate

Campbell Univ in Buies Creek, NC is opening their DO school next year. It’s main focus is community doctors for the Carolinas.

Gebelerman,

I think of all the schools I have looked at UMDNJ-SOM seems to have the most sincere community focus. I met their admissions dean and she really sold the school to me. BP/glucose checks at Blueberry farms? That sounds interesting, although why blueberry farms? I’d love to hear more about UMDNJ-SOM from the perspective of an alum.